S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Ordered a new car today…………

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Went across the pond to inspect a bathroom I had remodeled; I've only put 3 or 4 hundred miles on it. I can tell you straight up, most people will find the ride too stiff.

The thing about that is if you're looking at the performance angle you've got another V8 in the 60i, it's quite a bit softer sprung, and will still run in the low 4s to the 60 mark. For that matter, get the 6 and your still going to be down in the 4s; the X5s are quick.

The M has the higher side bolsters on the seats and that sounds like another thing you wouldn't like in it.

You did say you were thinking about a performance SUV, that does mean some compromises will have to be made. Where I'm heading here is that I'm wondering if they're really what you want?

However that may be the X5M is really all about the engine and the chassis/suspension/steering tuning.

The 617 HP number is a lie, I tried to calculate it and came up with 669 HP, that would jibe with others numbers I've read, although I've seen higher. Between the transmission tuning, gearing, boost from the 48V, and the engine, the power is immediate and unending. It pulls and pulls from any speed. When I'm behind the wheel I constantly find myself grinning like a teenager seeing his first boob. It's truly intoxicating.

Chassis tuning is immediate; everything reacts now. There is no roll, squat, dive, etc. Steering is precise and accurate but with little feel; it's an area the Cayenne does better. The suspension is stiff but the car is extremely well controlled.

It's all outrageous, unnecessary, and ridiculously fun.

Downsides over noticed so far are few, and only one is meaningful: The car is too stiff. A Panamera is just as stiff in sport plus but can also pull it back to a comfortable ride that is stiffer than the S Class but much better than what you get in the X5M. This comes down to choice; they could have done the same with the X5M but instead made a decision to keep it always on so to speak. IMO, that was a mistake.

Lesser downs...

I miss my 4D, over there they rave about the B&W but I'm convinced that's because they haven't heard better. The Bowers is good but my benchmark will remain the 4D until something comes along to change that.

The MBUX GUI is more intuitive, and in general, the long skinny screen in the X5 makes it harder to parse information at a glance, than the larger screen/format in the S580.

General observations: Everything works as expected in the BMW. I'm not attacked by the doors, there's no strategy I have to adhere to do my for handles to work correctly, it goes on and on. Everything works as expected and that's refreshing after an S580.

Right now MB needs to turn some things around to get my dollars again. I frankly expected more when I bought in and the 3 pointed star is now less than it was before in my mind. The question had been asked if the brands reputation in recent year has been tarnished by various issues; I'm one data point that would give an unequivocal yes to that question
Old 04-14-2024, 04:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Unfortunately MB is to blame for my extended congratulations to you on the purchase..

I actually LOVE the fact that bmw did not create some super slippery "fugely" shape.. aside from the front end, i am pleased by the bmw decision to use the EV tech to push the I7 body shape down the road... I like it...

Good look with it

waiting for EQS style improvements myself.... And the reports of cars sitting on the dealer lots tell me many others are doing the same or moving to other brands..

Originally Posted by Streamliner
After 17 brand new MB’s, including my last 8 new cars, it would appear that my next new ride will be a BMW, an I7 eDrive50 to be exact. I placed an order today and they are telling me 3 to 4 months. I am not thrilled with the exterior looks of this car or some of the interior trim items and would have much preferred to stay with MB but quite frankly, I believe that I did not leave MB, MB left me. With the unhappy experience I had with MB unwilling to fix the harsh shifting transmission in my 2020 S560 and then my absolute meltdown experience with my 2022 S580–both of which were repurchased by MBUSA—yes, that’s two in a row!—I felt that I needed a change. Swearing that my next new car would have amazing ride quality and comfort over all else, led me to my ugly duckling decision. The car drives like a dream.

The BMW dealer is about three blocks from my office and should I need to bug them about anything, it should be relatively simple. The fact that I usually drive between about 10 to 16 miles a day and can charge the car both at my home and office, coupled with living in idiotic California, where gas prices are currently around $5.20 a gallon, makes the idea of an electric car that much more appealing. We will still have two MB ICE cars in the household, should the need arise.

So, barring me finding my dream S560 (still searching for it!) while I wait for my new car to be delivered, I look forward to going BMW—and electric—this summer. Stay tuned!
Old 04-14-2024, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
Yes, on me as well. I am seeing a lot of them around town.

I always make it difficult on myself, as I pretty much never want what most everyone else wants. I don’t want the M-Sport body, but probably 90% of the cars out there have it. I want the Full Marino leather and almost nobody orders it. Same for the 19” wheels. Oh well. Either today or tomorrow, I’m going to again test drive the eDrive50 and the xDrive60 back to back, make up my mind and place the order.
Got the Pacifica washed today, look what pulled up behind me

That’s a W223 Maybach behind it. Honestly I think the 7 is better looking…definitely has more impact.

Leaving the car wash there was another new 7 that pulled in!

I actually have decided that I want the M Sport package…
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (04-14-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SW20S
Got the Pacifica washed today, look what pulled up behind me

That’s a W223 Maybach behind it. Honestly I think the 7 is better looking…definitely has more impact.

Leaving the car wash there was another new 7 that pulled in!

I actually have decided that I want the M Sport package…
Naturally, taste is personal but I struggle with this comment that a 7 series looks better than a Maybach. There was a time when BMW’s looked better than MB’s but this is not now.

I appreciate the interior qualities of the 7 but even then I would qualify them as luxury bits and quality built.
The car is just clunky and inelegant for the outside and the further you stand away from it the more apparent it becomes.

The W223 on the other hand is an elegant and well proportioned car.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-15-2024 at 06:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
JB-HTX (04-15-2024), S_W222 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I liked the appearance of the S-class; elegant and restrained. I understand it's subjective, and that the "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME" styling is in right now, but I've never been enamored with it. Maybe it's age; don't know.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Naturally, taste is personal but I struggle with this comment that a 7 series looks better than a Maybach. There was a time when BMW’s looked better than MB’s but this is not now.

I appreciate the interior qualities of the 7 but even then I would qualify them as luxury bits and quality built.
The car is just clunky and inelegant for the outside and the further you stand away from it the more apparent it becomes.

The W223 on the other hand is an elegant and well proportioned car.
I disagree. When I first saw the 7 I hated it, but I have done a total 180. The W223 is more traditionally beautiful and elegant, but it also feels boring and generic to me and I have never felt the attraction to it that I felt when I would see a W222. Plus, if I got a white one nobody would realize I had even gotten a new one.

The Maybach is gaudy and has too
much plastic chrome, I think the regular 223 is better looking than the Maybach also.

This car stands out, gets noticed, it’s bold…I really like it now. My wife even likes it when she has never shown any interest or attraction to my S560 (she’s not a car person). It’s more youthful…is another thing.

You also might be surprised to know that the 7 is outselling the W223 S Class...

Last edited by SW20S; 04-15-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Woww... To read an argument that one of the ugliest luxury sedans on the market is more elegant that the Maybach W222 is bizarre. Come on, lol, the most common feedback from people and even owners of the 7 is that they were trying to get the 7 to (grow on them) and in some cases, alright, it finally grew on them. If a car needs to grow on people, it's not a good looking car to begin with.

The 7 look will get a bit more "normal" with time, I get that, but it's still ugly and lacking the luxury and elegant look of the previous 7 or the current/previous S-class designs in my view, and that's how most people are perceiving it outside the circle of those who are considering it. You would barely notice that there is a luxury flagship sedan in the parking lot when there is a 7-series there, but you would immediately notice a W223 though it's not the most elegant luxury sedan design now. I don't like the W223 look that much, but it still appears as a luxury executive style vehicle on the road regardless, and nobody can deny that. Not the best looking S-class, However, a long luxury car like Maybach would certainly have enough presence to turn heads around. Again, taste is personal, but I also struggle and find it absurd for me to even think that the 7 can be compared to the W223 Maybach in particular; those two cars are at a completely different levels.

Last edited by S_W222; 04-15-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
You also might be surprised to know that the 7 is outselling the W223 S Class...
7er sales are combined ICE and EV.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
W210 E55, BMW Individual 7
Originally Posted by js_cls
Sales figures are not always completely accurate. A BMW Area Manager I’m friends with told me there’s currently a $3k a month subsidy for dealers to punch their 7 series into service loaner status.

On paper this counts as a retailed unit and starts the warranty clock. it’s a win win as BMW NA can count it as a retailed unit and the dealer can either apply more profit or sales support towards the car.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
There are substantial savings one can realize on any EV BMW sells; they're massively over floored on the EV Side with dealers highly incentivized to move them. As an example the dealer I got my car from uses their roof as an overflow parking, and filled it up. Now they're renting a lot which I was told is well on the way toward being full, almost all of the extra are EVs.

It's also the new kid, and that means they're still picking off the low hanging buyers. Once those are sold you get a better idea of what the market will bear.

To be honest if I didn't find it almost offensively ugly I would have bought the 7 series. Much more favorable leases and it's a car I haven't owned yet. There is a lot of fail in the S-Class and I now view MB as the lowest quality German luxury brand; this is the true cost of their cost-cutting.
S_W222 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 02:31 PM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
Originally Posted by crabman
Went across the pond to inspect a bathroom I had remodeled; I've only put 3 or 4 hundred miles on it. I can tell you straight up, most people will find the ride too stiff.

The thing about that is if you're looking at the performance angle you've got another V8 in the 60i, it's quite a bit softer sprung, and will still run in the low 4s to the 60 mark. For that matter, get the 6 and your still going to be down in the 4s; the X5s are quick.

The M has the higher side bolsters on the seats and that sounds like another thing you wouldn't like in it.

You did say you were thinking about a performance SUV, that does mean some compromises will have to be made. Where I'm heading here is that I'm wondering if they're really what you want?

However that may be the X5M is really all about the engine and the chassis/suspension/steering tuning.

The 617 HP number is a lie, I tried to calculate it and came up with 669 HP, that would jibe with others numbers I've read, although I've seen higher. Between the transmission tuning, gearing, boost from the 48V, and the engine, the power is immediate and unending. It pulls and pulls from any speed. When I'm behind the wheel I constantly find myself grinning like a teenager seeing his first boob. It's truly intoxicating.

Chassis tuning is immediate; everything reacts now. There is no roll, squat, dive, etc. Steering is precise and accurate but with little feel; it's an area the Cayenne does better. The suspension is stiff but the car is extremely well controlled.

It's all outrageous, unnecessary, and ridiculously fun.

Downsides over noticed so far are few, and only one is meaningful: The car is too stiff. A Panamera is just as stiff in sport plus but can also pull it back to a comfortable ride that is stiffer than the S Class but much better than what you get in the X5M. This comes down to choice; they could have done the same with the X5M but instead made a decision to keep it always on so to speak. IMO, that was a mistake.

Lesser downs...

I miss my 4D, over there they rave about the B&W but I'm convinced that's because they haven't heard better. The Bowers is good but my benchmark will remain the 4D until something comes along to change that.

The MBUX GUI is more intuitive, and in general, the long skinny screen in the X5 makes it harder to parse information at a glance, than the larger screen/format in the S580.

General observations: Everything works as expected in the BMW. I'm not attacked by the doors, there's no strategy I have to adhere to do my for handles to work correctly, it goes on and on. Everything works as expected and that's refreshing after an S580.

Right now MB needs to turn some things around to get my dollars again. I frankly expected more when I bought in and the 3 pointed star is now less than it was before in my mind. The question had been asked if the brands reputation in recent year has been tarnished by various issues; I'm one data point that would give an unequivocal yes to that question
Sounds like a lot of fun Crab! Ive owned high performance SUV's in the past. The search continues, I definitely miss the hooligan factor in the S class so the next one will most likely be an SUV which combines first and foremost luxury with about 20-30% "hooliganism". Im definitely leaning towards Lamborghini Urus (seats are really good, you can adjust the side bolsters...waiting for the unveiling of the new hybrid in apparently the next month), Bentley Bentayga and BMW X7 Alpina (although I don't need something that big). Im disappointed with the bolsters in the Cayenne as the new Turbo hybrid is intriguing and ditto on the X5M60i. The MB SUV's just don't do it for me.

I often think of adding a sports car like a 911 but then I sit in one and realize how low it is, and if i get one it may just collect dust in the garage. The new MB SL doesn't quite do it for me and the previous SL shape is not to my liking (sorry Streamliner!).
Old 04-15-2024, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I disagree. When I first saw the 7 I hated it, but I have done a total 180. The W223 is more traditionally beautiful and elegant, but it also feels boring and generic to me and I have never felt the attraction to it that I felt when I would see a W222. Plus, if I got a white one nobody would realize I had even gotten a new one.

The Maybach is gaudy and has too
much plastic chrome, I think the regular 223 is better looking than the Maybach also.

This car stands out, gets noticed, it’s bold…I really like it now. My wife even likes it when she has never shown any interest or attraction to my S560 (she’s not a car person). It’s more youthful…is another thing.

It's outselling the W223 only combined and only 2024 (so far) as stated and there is only one reason. Cheap leases and big discounts which MB is not matching this as they are not interested in taking financial hits like BNW does. The 7 series has the biggest discounts of any BMW for a reason...

If you like the 7 Series better from the looks, you are clearly in the minority. Same as some of the people and love the looks of the EQS. But in the end this only matters to you. Look forward to seeing your car on Bimmerpost

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-15-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:03 PM

Programs just started on W223s for ‘24. When I was at Fletcher Jones picking up my EQS580 SUV we ran a lease on a S580e and there’s currently $12k of trunk money with the Amex incentive. All programs really started this month though. My sales person said Mercedes likes to make dealers sweat before lining up adequate sales support.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Sounds like a lot of fun Crab! Ive owned high performance SUV's in the past. The search continues, I definitely miss the hooligan factor in the S class so the next one will most likely be an SUV which combines first and foremost luxury with about 20-30% "hooliganism". Im definitely leaning towards Lamborghini Urus (seats are really good, you can adjust the side bolsters...waiting for the unveiling of the new hybrid in apparently the next month), Bentley Bentayga and BMW X7 Alpina (although I don't need something that big). Im disappointed with the bolsters in the Cayenne as the new Turbo hybrid is intriguing and ditto on the X5M60i. The MB SUV's just don't do it for me.

I often think of adding a sports car like a 911 but then I sit in one and realize how low it is, and if i get one it may just collect dust in the garage. The new MB SL doesn't quite do it for me and the previous SL shape is not to my liking (sorry Streamliner!).
I meant to quote you last time but somehow yours didn't get in the post. Probably some dumbassery on my part.

I want to like the SL but it's got many of the same problems the S-class does and those were hurting my enjoyment with it; I'd expect the same with the SL. It's also a hard sell in a segment that includes the 911; a problem exacerbated by it being one of the few cars that's equally overpriced. Looked at another way; it says something that I'd rather have a C8 at half the cost.

I suppose that's neither here nor there; I got away from Porsche because it was getting hard for my old butt to climb in and out. I briefly looked at a GT3 but I could see it was a bad idea, as much as I hate to admit it, I think those days are over.

The Urus is an interesting choice which I didn't drive, how's the ride?
Old 04-15-2024, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Yes, on me as well. I am seeing a lot of them around town.

I always make it difficult on myself, as I pretty much never want what most everyone else wants. I don’t want the M-Sport body, but probably 90% of the cars out there have it. I want the Full Marino leather and almost nobody orders it. Same for the 19” wheels. Oh well. Either today or tomorrow, I’m going to again test drive the eDrive50 and the xDrive60 back to back, make up my mind and place the order.
Can't wait to read what you think about it.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by S_W222
Woww... To read an argument that one of the ugliest luxury sedans on the market is more elegant that the Maybach W222 is bizarre. Come on, lol, the most common feedback from people and even owners of the 7 is that they were trying to get the 7 to (grow on them) and in some cases, alright, it finally grew on them. If a car needs to grow on people, it's not a good looking car to begin with.
I said 223 Maybach, not 222 Maybach.

Thats your opinion, not a fact. More people like the car than you think, all the people on the 7 forums love their cars. I also don't agree about a car needing to grow on you meaning it isn't a good looking car, lots of things that took a little time to grow on me I now think look great. When I brought the i7 home to see if it fit in the garage all the neighbors came over to look at it, and my wife and kids went nuts. Everybody was talking about how much they liked it, and it was a bad color IMO (white M Sport).

The W223 is a beautiful car, it just doesn't attract me, its not different enough from what I have and it looks plain in multiple areas. Try as I might, I just don't like it. When you factor in the interior issues and all the negative experiences people here are having, I don't feel much desire to get a 223.

and that's how most people are perceiving it outside the circle of those who are considering it. You would barely notice that there is a luxury flagship sedan in the parking lot when there is a 7-series there, but you would immediately notice a W223 though it's not the most elegant luxury sedan design now. I don't like the W223 look that much, but it still appears as a luxury executive style vehicle on the road regardless, and nobody can deny that. Not the best looking S-class, However, a long luxury car like Maybach would certainly have enough presence to turn heads around. Again, taste is personal, but I also struggle and find it absurd for me to even think that the 7 can be compared to the W223 Maybach in particular; those two cars are at a completely different levels.
I don't see how you can say something is standout ugly, and also say that nobody notices it sitting there. The 7 is huge in person and has a lot of presence. Test driving it people honestly do look at it a lot...do they like it or hate it? Who knows but they are seeing it which means your comment that people barely notice it is absolutely not true.

I have discussed the car a lot with my circle and people that I know, and none of them think its ugly (they would tell me). I have also talked to people I know who have them, and they say that they have gotten more reactions and comments about their 7 than any other car they have ever had.

Something can't both be bold an anonymous. You may think its ugly, but its not anonymous.

Originally Posted by js_cls
Even if you add EQS sales to S Class sales, 7 Series is still neck and neck with it so far in 2024...thats very unusual. It puts it behind in 2023 but remember for much of 2023 they were leasing EQSs for $650 a month.

There are substantial savings one can realize on any EV BMW sells; they're massively over floored on the EV Side with dealers highly incentivized to move them. As an example the dealer I got my car from uses their roof as an overflow parking, and filled it up. Now they're renting a lot which I was told is well on the way toward being full, almost all of the extra are EVs.

It's also the new kid, and that means they're still picking off the low hanging buyers. Once those are sold you get a better idea of what the market will bear.

To be honest if I didn't find it almost offensively ugly I would have bought the 7 series. Much more favorable leases and it's a car I haven't owned yet. There is a lot of fail in the S-Class and I now view MB as the lowest quality German luxury brand; this is the true cost of their cost-cutting.
This is also true of the EQS, and the deals on the EQS are much stronger than the i7.

Originally Posted by Wolfman
It's outselling the W223 only combined and only 2024 (so far) as stated and there is only one reason. Cheap leases and big discounts which MB is not matching this as they are not interested in taking financial hits like BNW does. The 7 series has the biggest discounts of any BMW for a reason...

If you like the 7 Series better from the looks, you are clearly in the minority. Same as some of the people and love the looks of the EQS. But in the end this only matters to you. Look forward to seeing your car on Bimmerpost
I'm in the middle of negotiating an S580, an i7 and a 760. I can tell you that the deals on the BMW are not dramatically better than the deals on the S Class. Similar MSRP the 7 is $200 or so less a month and its always been that way. The delta was about the same when I was shopping in 2020. Thats 760 vs S580. The i7 costs more to lease than the EQS but is cheaper than the 760.

BMW has always had better leases on the 7 than MB does on the S Class, S Class also has the strongest discount of any Mercedes other than the EQS...why is that? The fact that the sales are so close says a lot about the new 7 and about the W223 (positive for the 7, negative for the 223).

Right now best deal I have on $140k S580 is $1,900 a month. $140k 760 is $1,800 $140k i7 60 is $1,625, $130k i7 50 is $1,250.

I haven't decided what to do yet. I have decided pretty much against the W223 at this point, so its between keeping my S560 long enough to see the refreshed W223 or getting a 7 Series. I prefer the i7 but travel with EV still concerns me...the 760 doesn't excite me as much vs what I have.

Lots of explaining away BMW's success and Mercedes' struggles here...

Last edited by SW20S; 04-15-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:59 AM

I said 223 Maybach, not 222 Maybach.

Thats your opinion, not a fact. More people like the car than you think, all the people on the 7 forums love their cars. I also don't agree about a car needing to grow on you meaning it isn't a good looking car, lots of things that took a little time to grow on me I now think look great. When I brought the i7 home to see if it fit in the garage all the neighbors came over to look at it, and my wife and kids went nuts. Everybody was talking about how much they liked it, and it was a bad color IMO (white M Sport).

The W223 is a beautiful car, it just doesn't attract me, its not different enough from what I have and it looks plain in multiple areas. Try as I might, I just don't like it. When you factor in the interior issues and all the negative experiences people here are having, I don't feel much desire to get a 223.

I don't see how you can say something is standout ugly, and also say that nobody notices it sitting there. The 7 is huge in person and has a lot of presence. Test driving it people honestly do look at it a lot...do they like it or hate it? Who knows but they are seeing it which means your comment that people barely notice it is absolutely not true.

I have discussed the car a lot with my circle and people that I know, and none of them think its ugly (they would tell me). I have also talked to people I know who have them, and they say that they have gotten more reactions and comments about their 7 than any other car they have ever had.

Something can't both be bold an anonymous. You may think its ugly, but its not anonymous.

Even if you add EQS sales to S Class sales, 7 Series is still neck and neck with it so far in 2024...thats very unusual. It puts it behind in 2023 but remember for much of 2023 they were leasing EQSs for $650 a month.

This is also true of the EQS, and the deals on the EQS are much stronger than the i7.

I'm in the middle of negotiating an S580, an i7 and a 760. I can tell you that the deals on the BMW are not dramatically better than the deals on the S Class. Similar MSRP the 7 is $200 or so less a month and its always been that way. The delta was about the same when I was shopping in 2020. Thats 760 vs S580. The i7 costs more to lease than the EQS but is cheaper than the 760.

BMW has always had better leases on the 7 than MB does on the S Class, S Class also has the strongest discount of any Mercedes other than the EQS...why is that? The fact that the sales are so close says a lot about the new 7 and about the W223 (positive for the 7, negative for the 223).

Right now best deal I have on $140k S580 is $1,900 a month. $140k 760 is $1,800 $140k i7 60 is $1,625, $130k i7 50 is $1,250.

I haven't decided what to do yet. I have decided pretty much against the W223 at this point, so its between keeping my S560 long enough to see the refreshed W223 or getting a 7 Series. I prefer the i7 but travel with EV still concerns me...the 760 doesn't excite me as much vs what I have.

Lots of explaining away BMW's success and Mercedes' struggles here...
Are these quotes all sign and drive 36/10? I was quoted $1725 tax included on a 144k S580e 0 down. Seems like the hybrids extra $7500 of sale support really helps on the lease. I just couldn’t get passed the clunkiness of the 6cylinder powertrain and wasn’t keen on going back to ice. Ended up with the i7.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by CSLA
Are these quotes all sign and drive 36/10? I was quoted $1725 tax included on a 144k S580e 0 down. Seems like the hybrids extra $7500 of sale support really helps on the lease. I just couldn’t get passed the clunkiness of the 6cylinder powertrain and wasn’t keen on going back to ice. Ended up with the i7.
All sign and drive 36/10, well first month out of pocket. That makes sense on the S580e there are additional rebates like you said. I don’t want the 580e personally for the reasons you mentioned, I want the full V8 or the full EV

All of those quotes are through brokers, I got nowhere on my own on either car which is insane (I am a very experienced lease negotiator). I was quoted $2,600 on the 760, $2,100 on the i7 and $2,700 on the S580. I laughed and laughed.

Last edited by SW20S; 04-16-2024 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I haven't had any luck negotiating a lease for the last couple cars, my impression is that dealers learned some bad habits in the pandemic.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:35 AM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
I meant to quote you last time but somehow yours didn't get in the post. Probably some dumbassery on my part.

I want to like the SL but it's got many of the same problems the S-class does and those were hurting my enjoyment with it; I'd expect the same with the SL. It's also a hard sell in a segment that includes the 911; a problem exacerbated by it being one of the few cars that's equally overpriced. Looked at another way; it says something that I'd rather have a C8 at half the cost.

I suppose that's neither here nor there; I got away from Porsche because it was getting hard for my old butt to climb in and out. I briefly looked at a GT3 but I could see it was a bad idea, as much as I hate to admit it, I think those days are over.

The Urus is an interesting choice which I didn't drive, how's the ride?
Its very difficult to admit that sports car days may indeed be behind me. Acknowledging one’s own mortality and advancing years is somewhat humbling. But I’m still tempted!!

The Urus is a very interesting vehicle. While I do believe it’s overpriced using the same platform as VW groups other SUV’s (Cayenne, Bentayga, Q8) it offers a unique blend of comfort and sportiness. The seats are excellent, fully adjustable (including Side bolsters], five different massage modes/functions, vehicle has a full opening panorama roof. And All the other niceties you’d expect in a luxury vehicle. With the car in comfort mode you feel like you’re driving a docile SUV, when you put it into sport mode it lowers itself and truly transforms into a hooligan.

What I like about the Urus is the full repertoire from being a comfortable cruiser to a (what feels like a sport sedan). The cornering ability, the acceleration and the unique looks make it very compelling proposition. Our local Lambo dealer had a track day and this “SUV” which is more like a hot hatch performed quite Respectably vis-à-vis the Huracan/Aventador at al.
Additionally while all cars depreciate, for the most part, the Urus seems to have a depreciation curve that’s a little more gentle. I like this as I trade my cars in fairly regularly just like you crab!

I also like the socialization aspect of owning a Super SUV as the Lambo guys have a good social club and the dealership (unlike our local Ferrari dealer) is very good. I’m waiting for the hybrid to be unveiled (which apparently is soon) and will go from there. I also like the X7 Alpina, the X5 m60i and the Bentayga. Definitely an SUV next time.
crabman (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I haven't had any luck negotiating a lease for the last couple cars, my impression is that dealers learned some bad habits in the pandemic.
Its pretty amazing, I was able to negotiate a good deal on our hybrid Pacifica last October but it was PAINFUL, we were at the dealer for 6 hours after having negotiated it remotely, they tried to bait and switch me in the finance office 5 times and finally the manager came in and we got it done.

Thats why I went to brokers this time because I just wasn't getting anywhere, and dealers are totally content to let me walk, never follow up etc.
crabman (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I didn't get much hassle, more the opposite, it seemed to me they didn't care enough to do much more than accept money. It's kind of an oddity when you can look out their window, see a lot that is jam packed, know they're storing cars in multiple locations, know this is a common situation, but they act like they're in a seller's market. It's almost comical...
Old 04-16-2024, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Its very difficult to admit that sports car days may indeed be behind me. Acknowledging one’s own mortality and advancing years is somewhat humbling. But I’m still tempted!!

The Urus is a very interesting vehicle. While I do believe it’s overpriced using the same platform as VW groups other SUV’s (Cayenne, Bentayga, Q8) it offers a unique blend of comfort and sportiness. The seats are excellent, fully adjustable (including Side bolsters], five different massage modes/functions, vehicle has a full opening panorama roof. And All the other niceties you’d expect in a luxury vehicle. With the car in comfort mode you feel like you’re driving a docile SUV, when you put it into sport mode it lowers itself and truly transforms into a hooligan.

What I like about the Urus is the full repertoire from being a comfortable cruiser to a (what feels like a sport sedan). The cornering ability, the acceleration and the unique looks make it very compelling proposition. Our local Lambo dealer had a track day and this “SUV” which is more like a hot hatch performed quite Respectably vis-à-vis the Huracan/Aventador at al.
Additionally while all cars depreciate, for the most part, the Urus seems to have a depreciation curve that’s a little more gentle. I like this as I trade my cars in fairly regularly just like you crab!

I also like the socialization aspect of owning a Super SUV as the Lambo guys have a good social club and the dealership (unlike our local Ferrari dealer) is very good. I’m waiting for the hybrid to be unveiled (which apparently is soon) and will go from there. I also like the X7 Alpina, the X5 m60i and the Bentayga. Definitely an SUV next time.
Dang, maybe I should have taken one for a spin. No I'm second guessing myself...
Old 04-16-2024, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I didn't get much hassle, more the opposite, it seemed to me they didn't care enough to do much more than accept money. It's kind of an oddity when you can look out their window, see a lot that is jam packed, know they're storing cars in multiple locations, know this is a common situation, but they act like they're in a seller's market. It's almost comical...
Yeah thats it entirely, they just aren't interested in working to get your business, if you don't want to just pay then they aren't interested...very comical!

In the case of the Pacifica, he really thought I would just accept whatever he offered and he agreed to the terms I sent just to get me in the door.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Being honest isn't all that hard, but a lot of dealerships struggle with it. I recall you talking about that deal before. I would have been mucho angry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new car today…………