S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 08:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by S_W222
Last year was the perfect year to sell the W222…. This year is obviously the worst as the value has dropped significantly with the market getting flooded with W223 lease returns. I’d still sell the W222 this year and asap now than waiting longer if you already know that you will not be keeping it. You can get an S63 W222 today for less than what the W222 S560 used to sell last year.

I track the used car market very closely, and this comes from someone who trade in his car every year or 2 years max. I’d get a W223 now but the fact a facelift is coming soon makes this plan also less than ideal. I think the best you can do is really to trade in the W222 for another pre-owned W223 which have depreciated as well. This plan in my view is the plan I’d follow if I was still stuck with my W222 now and wanted another ICE. I would then get the W223 facelift after it has been around for 1 year if it’s a big improvement which am sure it will. Coming from a W222, I would not get the 7-series; especially if you’ve been driving S-class cars for a decade or more already.
This is good and sensible advice, but not for me. Since my very first car, I have never bought used, and I do not think I ever will. I do not think I am rich enough to buy a used car...

Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
No option there. KEEP THE 2018 S560!!!!! However, I don't know why you bought so much extended warranty in the first place if you only drive 5000 miles per year.
This is what I am trending towards right now, barring falling in love with the i7, or something else I run into in the meantime. Well, I got the extended warranty because I keep my cars for longer than what average drivers keep theirs, so it was a peace of mind type of deal. The plan was not to drive this infrequently, but as you can guess, more than 2 years of the ownership went on during COVID, during which not much mileage has been added. In the meantime, what the extended warranty covered for me exceeded more than half the cost of it originally, so not too shabby of a decision in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (05-27-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,022 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
………….Now if your point is we need to get out of our cars to make a bigger difference you are right here as well.
If you are referring to public transportation, I would happily ride busses, street cars & trains, IF they ran on schedule, went where I needed to go, were not overly crowded, were exceptionally clean, well maintained and were safe from the criminal elements that have taken over so many such conveyances throughout America. Unfortunately, I don’t see much of this happening anytime soon.

If you are referring to bicycles and E-Bikes, it is WAY too dangerous to ride them on streets & highways shared with 3+ ton SUV’s driven like sports cars by severely distracted drivers. IF protected, dedicated bike lanes were easily accessible all over Southern California, I’d pull my 1986 Bianchi Mondiali out of mothballs and saddle up again. I did ride thousands of miles on L.A. streets & highways as a young man, when L.A. was The City of Angels. Today, it bears no resemblance to the city I was raised in.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-25-2024 at 08:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (05-26-2024), MBS63AMG (05-27-2024), RJC (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
As a side note: The “Red Car” interurban in this photo was part of what once was one of “THE” best public transit systems in the world, the Pacific Electric that served L.A. and much of Southern California with fast, clean, electric mass transit. Around 1960, a group led by General Motors, Standard Oil and I believe B.F. Goodrich conspired to dismantle the Pacific Electric and they actually SUCCEEDED! Thousands of miles of tracks were torn out or abandoned and the “right-of-ways” were lost over the decades. Most all of the street cars and interurbans were scrapped. This was done so GM could sell more cars, Standard Oil more gas and Goodrich more tires. Lawsuits were filed but virtually nobody ever paid a price for this catastrophe. Tens of millions of Southern California residents have paid the price over the decades with tremendous air pollution and overly crowded streets & highways ever since. I may not have every detail correct, but that’s pretty much what happened. Imagine if it had happened to the subway system in NYC!

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
aypues (05-28-2024), Drone_S213 (05-26-2024), MBNUT1 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 09:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Here’s the I7 lineup:
eDrive50 = RWD, one motor
xDrive60 = AWD, two motors
M70 = AWD, two motors, high performance

To me, the 50 did not feel as substantial as the 60 and there is a suspension option, called the Autobahn Package, which is not available on the 50, so I went for the 60. The 70 is a much higher performance model, which is not something I have any interest in, so I never drove one. As with the S Class, I feel that how you option the I7’s is really important. I never saw one I7 in dealer inventory, anywhere in the USA that was to my liking, so as I most always do, I placed a special order. I hate the wait, but am enjoying the anticipation.
Like you I am (was in your case) not an EV fan but now that we live in CA where premium gas will be approaching $7.00 with the latest 0.40 gas tax increase proposal, EV's are somewhat more appealing, but I wonder how much they increase one's power bill to keep them charged especially if driven frequently, is the delta that significant? Affordability is not the issue in my case, but ~$6.00-7.00 for 91 octane fuel is f'ing insane!
I had to buy the wifey a new vehicle and ordered the new 24 CLE 53 AMG coupe which has the 48V mild hybrid setup, interested to see how this pans out.
The transmission in my 2019 BMW M850 with 6400 miles started making the most God-awful noise which the dealership spent weeks trying to diagnose will be getting replaced with another vehicle by me as they have to take the trans completely apart. I was seriously considering the new AMG GT55 coupe, but between the MB issues, $ negligeable delta vs an M8 comp (M8 more car for the same $, although the MB is nicer looking) and the insane prices for fuel in CA has me thinking otherwise.
It appears CA is trying to shove Ev's down people's throats here, and in all honesty, EV's aren't that much better for the planet overall, if not even worse. I wish Newsom and Co. would seek other employment. EVs release more toxic emissions, are worse for the environment: study (nypost.com)
Congrats on the I7 and wish you many miles of smiles, but that grille is just too gaudy for me...the interior is splendid, however.

Last edited by RJC; 05-25-2024 at 09:51 PM.
Streamliner (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 442 Posts
MB
The study from your NY Post article was discussed in another EV-related discussion. The data from the article is taken out of context.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8942924
MBNUT1 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
As a side note: The “Red Car” interurban in this photo was part of what once was one of “THE” best public transit systems in the world, the Pacific Electric that served L.A. and much of Southern California with fast, clean, electric mass transit. Around 1960, a group led by General Motors, Standard Oil and I believe B.F. Goodrich conspired to dismantle the Pacific Electric and they actually SUCCEEDED! Thousands of miles of tracks were torn out or abandoned and the “right-of-ways” were lost over the decades. Most all of the street cars and interurbans were scrapped. This was done so GM could sell more cars, Standard Oil more gas and Goodrich more tires. Lawsuits were filed but virtually nobody ever paid a price for this catastrophe. Tens of millions of Southern California residents have paid the price over the decades with tremendous air pollution and overly crowded streets & highways ever since. I may not have every detail correct, but that’s pretty much what happened. Imagine if it had happened to the subway system in NYC!
This article talks about the history of the LA rail system and that it was not purchased and purposefully dismantled by the conglomerates you mentioned.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...eetcar-scandal

And the Red Car itself was the conspiracy:
https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...ar-conspiracy/

Read further here as well:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...car_conspiracy

​​

Last edited by wildta; 05-26-2024 at 04:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
MBNUT1 (05-26-2024), Streamliner (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
As little as you drive you are right it will be a long time before the sunk CO2 cost of the battery will be recovered vs it's equivalent ICE. But an average mileage driver would show a net reduction after a couple of years. Now if your point is we need to get out of our cars to make a bigger difference you are right here as well.
The carbon footprint to produce EVs are without a doubt higher. This recent graph is a comparison of BEV vs ICE and their carbon footprints. I wish it included Tesla as a data point.

Polestar’s Head of Sustainability Has a Plan to Make EVs Even Cleaner https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-even-greener

RJC (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wildta
This article talks about the history of the LA rail system and that it was not purchased and purposefully dismantled by the conglomerates you mentioned.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...eetcar-scandal

And the Red Car itself was the conspiracy:
https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...ar-conspiracy/

Read further here as well:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene...car_conspiracy
Thank you for the links. I read the above noted articles and they are filled with information that may or may not be absolutely factual. My takeaway from all of it is still that that GM, oil & tire companies were at least reasonably involved in the demise of the systems. I knew I was really straying off subject by posting my thoughts on it, now you’ve posted some alternative info, so let’s leave it at that in this thread that I apologize for highjacking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
MBNUT1 (05-26-2024), wildta (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 01:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by wildta
The carbon footprint to produce EVs are without a doubt higher. This recent graph is a comparison of BEV vs ICE and their carbon footprints. I wish it included Tesla as a data point.

Polestar’s Head of Sustainability Has a Plan to Make EVs Even Cleaner https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...s-even-greener

good info and I agree about the CF needed to produce EV’s, and then there’s the power cell disposal issues which has its own set of challenges.

Gasoline ice’s are so damn efficient these days and can be even more so, and those with the mild 48v hybrid assist have pretty impressive #’s

i just never fell for the hype and Tesla’s have a rep for questionable build quality

I do think diesel trucks do need to go and EV’s might be the solution thus far but full hybrid development never really got a fair shake imho.

in today’s world it’s mostly about herd mentality - whether it’s buying a home that’s overpriced, meme stocks, EV’s (mostly Teslas) etc. people are sheep.

Last edited by RJC; 05-26-2024 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
AMG
don't they say the major difference in current global warming cycle in comparison to previous ones is how fast it's happening?
Looking at the chart, if everyone starts producing electric cars all at once, wouldn't it make it happen even faster??
Old 05-26-2024, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 711 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
If you are referring to public transportation, I would happily ride busses, street cars & trains, IF they ran on schedule, went where I needed to go, were not overly crowded, were exceptionally clean, well maintained and were safe from the criminal elements that have taken over so many such conveyances throughout America. Unfortunately, I don’t see much of this happening anytime soon.

If you are referring to bicycles and E-Bikes, it is WAY too dangerous to ride them on streets & highways shared with 3+ ton SUV’s driven like sports cars by severely distracted drivers. IF protected, dedicated bike lanes were easily accessible all over Southern California, I’d pull my 1986 Bianchi Mondiali out of mothballs and saddle up again. I did ride thousands of miles on L.A. streets & highways as a young man, when L.A. was The City of Angels. Today, it bears no resemblance to the city I was raised in.

I was talking about public transportation but since you mentioned your Bianchi....I also have one but haven't ridden it in quite awhile for the reasons that you mention though our city is trying to make bicycle riding more safe and appealing.
Streamliner (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:55 PM

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon

I thought this was done to sell LA Metro GM Buses as well?

Older co-worker at Hughes Aircraft who I joined in NM to support Navy Directed Energy Project at the Missile Range had fond memories of the nickel fare as a kid growing up in LA. When I returned to LA 2008-2011 always saw news reports of cars and pedestrians getting struck with the Metro Light Rail trains...
Streamliner (05-26-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thank you for the links. I read the above noted articles and they are filled with information that may or may not be absolutely factual. My takeaway from all of it is still that that GM, oil & tire companies were at least reasonably involved in the demise of the systems. I knew I was really straying off subject by posting my thoughts on it, now you’ve posted some alternative info, so let’s leave it at that in this thread that I apologize for highjacking.
Interesting subject nonetheless, learned something new so thanks for bringing it up.
​​
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
MBNUT1 (05-27-2024), Streamliner (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 01:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
S
Keep the 560 warranty or not. The W222 is very refined. Good luck.
Streamliner (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,645 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by salamigs
I may have mentioned in one of my earlier posts above, I did purchase a Hyundai Ioniq5 for my 16-year old son (he picked it after doing a simple math upon me telling him that he will have to pay for his own fuel). I got to drive it a bit to learn so that I could teach him. It is a wonderfully well put together vehicle, which in turn resulted in my consideration for Genesys as well. Despite the very frustrating reality that we are unable to install solar panels (they do not do it on tile roof in the Northwest, and I do not think I am going to change the roof to get solar panels), it still is much more preferred for me with a weekday commute of 10 miles one way. It is just that I hate the hassle of shopping for a vehicle, and hence I keep them for a long time, which is not that hard with some tender love and care along with low mileage. We are in such a timeframe though, the full combustion engine is about to die, EVs are on the rise(-ish), but technology on that is rapidly developing. I think I am going to find my stance changing and switching cars more often, but not yet ready for that, and hence the associated full jump into EV. Decent hybrids, I like though.
My neighbor has one of these and I drove it a while back, really nice car!

My experience with electric vehicles is probably a total of couple of days behind the wheel of a few different models. In addition, I was a long time EV naysayer, vowing to never go down that road, but here I am, waiting in anticipation of my first ever non-ICE vehicle. After experiencing both the I7 and the MB EQS Sedan and SUV, I now find myself darn near deploring the noise of ICE engines and the seemingly over complication of multi speed transmissions—especially the sloppy, crummy gearboxes in the W223’s. Of course, driving range is a concern, but not for what my needs are as a mostly retired fellow. And, I should also say that my current infatuation—can’t call it love yet—has absolutely nothing to do with saving the planet, only about the driving experience and not needing to buy gasoline.
Once you experience the smoothness and the instant torque of the EV powertrain you're so right, its hard to go back to even the most refined ICE vehicle.

I remember riding in my son-in-law’s Tesla Type S and then actually driving one in one of those paid seminars I did and I absolutely hated those cars. So ridiculously unrefined, rough riding and totally unpleasant to drive, in my opinion. With millions of Tesla vehicles on the road, it goes to show how attractive an EV can be, even Mr. Musk’s cookie-cutter econoboxes. Electric vehicle propulsion is a tremendous leap forward in my opinion and frankly, I cant wait to see the ICE cars become a thing of the past.
How long ago was that? Even the Model S has been dramatically improved, the new ones drive and ride so much better than the older ones.
MBNUT1 (05-29-2024)