Wishlist for the 2026 refresh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,015 Likes on 739 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Nothing is done in a vacuum unfortunately, The nasty piano black plastic was a trend across all German brands that hopefully seems to subside a bit. Dropping buttons for screens still appears to be a fashion trend and I am hoping for capacitive buttons will go away as well but the W223 was not a direct evolution from the W221 or W222 as the demographic shift occurred and the car was designed for a younger audience and a changed market strategy for MB. When it comes to tech changes that are driven ever increasing regulations and penalty avoidance, the results are not liked by anyone including the manufacturer. Mercedes would rather put a simple V8 in a car then building 4 cylinder hybrid setups. But unfortunately, the American market is just not relevant here.

In regards to the 9 G-Tronic I have never experienced harsh shifting but also feel that the ZF is better but much of that depends on the programming (mating to the engine characteristics & desired shifting behavior). BMW does the best job here. Porsche's PDK is a gold standard for sports cars (also made by ZF) but they only manufacture to Porsche's specs (no design). But keep in mind that Mercedes transmissions have a long history and good reputation internationally and thus considered a competitive differentiator. The chance of MB switching to ZF will be zero, at least for ICE.
Specs and design are two different things. Who is creating the actual drawings for the parts?
Old 08-06-2024, 08:41 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Nothing is done in a vacuum unfortunately, The nasty piano black plastic was a trend across all German brands that hopefully seems to subside a bit. Dropping buttons for screens still appears to be a fashion trend and I am hoping for capacitive buttons will go away as well but the W223 was not a direct evolution from the W221 or W222 as the demographic shift occurred and the car was designed for a younger audience and a changed market strategy for MB. When it comes to tech changes that are driven ever increasing regulations and penalty avoidance, the results are not liked by anyone including the manufacturer. Mercedes would rather put a simple V8 in a car then building 4 cylinder hybrid setups. But unfortunately, the American market is just not relevant here.

In regards to the 9 G-Tronic I have never experienced harsh shifting but also feel that the ZF is better but much of that depends on the programming (mating to the engine characteristics & desired shifting behavior). BMW does the best job here. Porsche's PDK is a gold standard for sports cars (also made by ZF) but they only manufacture to Porsche's specs (no design). But keep in mind that Mercedes transmissions have a long history and good reputation internationally and thus considered a competitive differentiator. The chance of MB switching to ZF will be zero, at least for ICE.
The elimination of buttons (esp high quality ones) are also a cost savings.
What I really dislike about the PB is the sensitivity to scratches, just breathe on it and it scratches lol
Maybe in the past but it appears not so much as of the last several years (my personal experiences as well on two new at the time S Coupes). I did just drive 4 sperate MB models and the trans' performed flawlessly, but they were relatively short test drive, but a good sign, nonetheless.
That's unfortunate, as a clunking trans is a big deal and very annoying, enough so to drive people away from the brand b/c of it.

The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,277 Likes on 2,038 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Specs and design are two different things. Who is creating the actual drawings for the parts?
Porsche will tell you that they designed the PDK (in cooperation with ZF). This goes for the 911 at least. I read that the Macan PDK is not a ZF product but have no familiarity.

It isn’t build on any existing ZF products unlike some older Porsche trannies

ZF is also a major supplier of EV components (and struggling due to lower sales). A fantastic brand IMO.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,015 Likes on 739 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
They probably did the conceptual design and own the patents for that.