S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Renders of the W223 refresh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,494 Likes on 2,121 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I like my W223. I HATE the transmission. I guess I got unlucky when it comes to the transmission as I got two duds in a row.
I see, guess the only way to not have to deal with MB's transmission without switching brands is to get an electric vehicle, but even that EVs technically has some sort of transmission. I am not sure if this is why it jerks https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85477...t-driving.html
Old Today, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 405 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Actually, my experience is that the transmissions seem to “develop” sloppy & clunking shifting characteristics over time. My first 2020 S560 was fine when delivered, but developed a very harsh 3-2 downshift after about six months of driving. My 2022 S580 seemed OK initially, but also seemed to get very sloppy over time. With that car, there were so many irritating issues, I can’t remember just when I started to notice the transmission behavior. Our 2019 E450 Wagon and 2019 SL450 both drive perfectly. I am of the opinion that the transmission issues started in 2020.
Same exact experience with my first W222 which I witnessed it going that route all the way up to high 70K miles step by step... My 2nd W222 was pre-owned and already came with about 30K miles so it had "some" level of sloppiness that I can tell was just starting... as I drove it another 8-9K I can tell it was just getting more sloppy (nothing like it was broken, but just a typical Mbenz trashy geabox). Our GL transmission was always sloppy. Renting the W223 for a few days confirmed to me that the drivetrain drives exactly just like my W222s and I can tell it was going to develop the same with time. It's probably time for Mbenz to get out of the transmissions business and just get a proper one, or maybe just switch to full EVs once and for all. Frankly they haven't even had good luck with their engines either (W222 pre-facelift M278 engine issues started to appear on the web with higher mileage cars... and now with the M176 on the facelift I can see some trend of oil leaks and stuff like that coming up .. obviously am seeing some W223s getting into service for engine issues on this forum even sooner than W222. Not trying to be overly critical, but it's truly sad to see Mbenz almost perfecting the driving experience and comfort on their high end cars but failing miserably as far as drivetrains! I admit that am a BMW fan and can be biased, but the facts nowadays tell me that BMW has the upper hand these days as far as drivetrains (besides glitches and electronics, I hardly see any oil leaks or engine failures, transmission issues on BMW forums "at least not as much as what an seeing for Mbenz").
Old Today, 12:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,494 Likes on 2,121 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by S_W222
Same exact experience with my first W222 which I witnessed it going that route all the way up to high 70K miles step by step... My 2nd W222 was pre-owned and already came with about 30K miles so it had "some" level of sloppiness that I can tell was just starting... as I drove it another 8-9K I can tell it was just getting more sloppy (nothing like it was broken, but just a typical Mbenz trashy geabox). Our GL transmission was always sloppy. Renting the W223 for a few days confirmed to me that the drivetrain drives exactly just like my W222s and I can tell it was going to develop the same with time. It's probably time for Mbenz to get out of the transmissions business and just get a proper one, or maybe just switch to full EVs once and for all. Frankly they haven't even had good luck with their engines either (W222 pre-facelift M278 engine issues started to appear on the web with higher mileage cars... and now with the M176 on the facelift I can see some trend of oil leaks and stuff like that coming up .. obviously am seeing some W223s getting into service for engine issues on this forum even sooner than W222. Not trying to be overly critical, but it's truly sad to see Mbenz almost perfecting the driving experience and comfort on their high end cars but failing miserably as far as drivetrains! I admit that am a BMW fan and can be biased, but the facts nowadays tell me that BMW has the upper hand these days as far as drivetrains (besides glitches and electronics, I hardly see any oil leaks or engine failures, transmission issues on BMW forums "at least not as much as what an seeing for Mbenz").
You reminded me of your thread, https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ting-w222.html

Did the transmission shifting issue ever come back a few months or years after the "Forced Adaptation" or it was fixed for good?