S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Problems with IC pump, 65 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Problems with IC pump, 65 AMG

I have some questions about the intercooler pump in my S65 AMG. I know this is a quite common problem in C32 and SLK32. Also the supercharged 55 engines and the V12 biturbo has got this problem.

Does the V12 biturbo use the same pump as in C32 and SLK32? I have heard that when you shut your engine off, you are supposed to hear a buzzing sound for about 20 seconds. Thats when the intercooler pump is emptying the system. If you don’t hear this buzzing sound your intercooler is out of order and needs to be replaced.

Is it like that? Because I don’t hear anything when I have shut my engine down. Does that mean that my intercooler pump is out of order?

Btw, does anyone know where the pump is located?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM

AMG
nobody who knows?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by Marky
I have some questions about the intercooler pump in my S65 AMG. I know this is a quite common problem in C32 and SLK32. Also the supercharged 55 engines and the V12 biturbo has got this problem.

Does the V12 biturbo use the same pump as in C32 and SLK32? I have heard that when you shut your engine off, you are supposed to hear a buzzing sound for about 20 seconds. Thats when the intercooler pump is emptying the system. If you don’t hear this buzzing sound your intercooler is out of order and needs to be replaced.

Is it like that? Because I don’t hear anything when I have shut my engine down. Does that mean that my intercooler pump is out of order?

Btw, does anyone know where the pump is located?

The 06' 65 intercooler system has a weakness which allows air pockets to form. Most likely you will have to bleed the system, which is notorious and sometimes you do need to bleed more than 5 times. The intercooler system uses 3 gallons of coolant. The pump is the same as the 55 but the 65 has two circuit instead of one combined circuit like the 55. The IC pump is located on the driver's side (bumper has to be removed) and it is nicely hidden.

I have more pictures on my other computer, i will post more tomorrow.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
The 06' 65 intercooler system has a weakness which allows air pockets to form. Most likely you will have to bleed the system, which is notorious and sometimes you do need to bleed more than 5 times. The intercooler system uses 3 gallons of coolant. The pump is the same as the 55 but the 65 has two circuit instead of one combined circuit like the 55. The IC pump is located on the driver's side (bumper has to be removed) and it is nicely hidden.

I have more pictures on my other computer, i will post more tomorrow.

Cheers,

Adam
My S65 is an '05 (produced in october 2004, eurospec). Does it have the same problem with air pockets?

I look forward to the other pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Marky
Old 06-20-2007, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
My S65 is an '05 (produced in october 2004, eurospec). Does it have the same problem with air pockets?

I look forward to the other pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Marky

Yes, only the new 07 intercooler system (S600 W221, CL600 W216) doesn't have that problem since AMG revised it.

You can bring your 65 to the dealer and have the dealer bleed the system for you.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 AM

AMG
Yes, only the new 07 intercooler system (S600 W221, CL600 W216) doesn't have that problem since AMG revised it.

You can bring your 65 to the dealer and have the dealer bleed the system for you.

Cheers,

Adam
Yesterday my MB-dealer checked the pump and they said it worked just fine. Is it possible to have these air pockets although the pump works as it should?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Yesterday my MB-dealer checked the pump and they said it worked just fine. Is it possible to have these air pockets although the pump works as it should?
Yes, it is possible.

cheers,

Adam

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 AM

AMG
Yes, it is possible.

cheers,

Adam
If my dealer bleeds the system I guess the problem will most likely come back? How often do you have to bleed the system? Once a year?

cheers,

Marky
Old 06-20-2007, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
If my dealer bleeds the system I guess the problem will most likely come back? How often do you have to bleed the system? Once a year?

cheers,

Marky
Yes, the problem might resurface. We are trying to figure out a solution right now. (still in r&d)

Usually, we bleed it when the car goes into limp mode. Do you have any upgrades on the car?

Cheers,

Adam
Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 AM

AMG
Yes, the problem might resurface. We are trying to figure out a solution right now. (still in r&d)

Usually, we bleed it when the car goes into limp mode. Do you have any upgrades on the car?

Cheers,

Adam
My car runs very well, no limp mode. But I thought that if I had any air pockets, my car would perform even better if I bled the system! But then again, maybe I should wait with the bleeding process...

My car is stock but I'm thinking about an ECU upgrade. I have also been thinking about air filters and I see that you have theese filters: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/197940-euroelites-bmc-air-filters-600-65-update.html

What gain can I expect from the filters only? HP numbers at the wheels and HP numbers at the crank.

In your signature it says "EuroElites software upgrade available. Free 7 days trial for 65/600/63 engines". I live in Sweden. Is it possible for me to buy a software upgrade, test it, and if I'm not satisfied I can send it back to you and get my money back?

BTW, how do I get the new software into my car? I will probably have someone to help me because my knowledge in engines could be better...
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
My car runs very well, no limp mode. But I thought that if I had any air pockets, my car would perform even better if I bled the system! But then again, maybe I should wait with the bleeding process...

My car is stock but I'm thinking about an ECU upgrade. I have also been thinking about air filters and I see that you have theese filters: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197940

What gain can I expect from the filters only? HP numbers at the wheels and HP numbers at the crank.

In your signature it says "EuroElites software upgrade available. Free 7 days trial for 65/600/63 engines". I live in Sweden. Is it possible for me to buy a software upgrade, test it, and if I'm not satisfied I can send it back to you and get my money back?

BTW, how do I get the new software into my car? I will probably have someone to help me because my knowledge in engines could be better...
Hello again,

You can always chat with me on skype, id name: adamgee1981, for clients out of the united states.

Yes, you can purchase the software upgrade for me, and if you dont like it, we can flash it back to stock and you will get a refund. Also, I can send you the detailed instructions on the ECU removal.

The gain on the filters will be approx 3-5 hp on the crank.

You should probably try doing couple of hot laps around the block and see if your car is losing steam.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
You should probably try doing couple of hot laps around the block and see if your car is losing steam.
By the way, Marky, I think Adam means that if you're not experiencing a noticable loss of power when you work the engine hard, your intercooler cooling system is probably fine. "Losing steam" isn't a reference to a coolant leak. Sometimes we forget that idioms can be tough for non-native English speakers.

Now of course if Adam was talking about a coolant leak ...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM

AMG
Hello again,

You can always chat with me on skype, id name: adamgee1981, for clients out of the united states.

Yes, you can purchase the software upgrade for me, and if you dont like it, we can flash it back to stock and you will get a refund. Also, I can send you the detailed instructions on the ECU removal.

The gain on the filters will be approx 3-5 hp on the crank.

Cheers,

Adam
I can feel a difference when it's 50 degrees F and cloudy compared to a sunny day with 90 degrees F. But thats normal for every car, especially if the car has got turbo or supercharger.

So when my car gets really hot I can feel a little loss of power but it's not a big differnce so I guess everything is ok with my intercooler system.

How much does the ECU upgrade cost? How much torque and power can I expect?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by whoover
By the way, Marky, I think Adam means that if you're not experiencing a noticable loss of power when you work the engine hard, your intercooler cooling system is probably fine. "Losing steam" isn't a reference to a coolant leak. Sometimes we forget that idioms can be tough for non-native English speakers.

Now of course if Adam was talking about a coolant leak ...
Thank you for clearing things out
Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
From our research, the weakness of the 65 intercooler system is the fact that when you idle long enough, your IAT will rise above 155 degrees. True enough, the faster you go , the lower the IAT is.

Marky, here's a dyno chart of the 65 we currently did.

Cheers,

Adam

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 06-21-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:31 AM

sl600 2005
where is the iat's located in sl600 biturbo.