S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

New arrival

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Originally Posted by turtle10250
I have seen a video on Youtube of ParkGuidance on a CL .... pretty cool, but don't think option on US cars yet

Basically the car has side radar sensors (like Distronic). When you indicate that you want to park, it scans the nearest side of the car to determing when a space is avail that is big enough to accomodate the car. It then indicates (i believe in the dash screen where night vision appears) what manouvers you need to make to fit in the screen. Much closer to auto-parking than just the grid lines in the rear-view mirror
I think I have this on my car. You have to choose the option manually, but it helps you with both parallel parking and backing into a perpendicular space. I have not played with it, because I am a reasonably good parker. When I get a chance, I'll have to look at my owner's manual (or maybe that should be owner's encyclopedia, it's so damn thick) and report back.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:18 PM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
Noxxin - That's great - from what speed do you drop into 4th ? I'm still just beginning to play - I'm still using it to slow.
Hey Eddie usually between 60-75mph and then i dump down to 4th gear and quickly accelerate up to 100 or so then shift back up into 5th if necessary. I found that i leave it in 5th a lot at about 4000 or so rpm's on the freeway which is eating gas like it's free but gives a much more reactive pedal feel. I am a menace on these LA freeways!!! I lost a family member this week and have had to drive back and forth between LA and Simi Valley everyday to be w family and the only thing that has put a smile on my face is the ride back and forth

I got taken by half a car length by a vette from off line the other day, but i didn't use manual shifts so I don't know how much that effected it. I did start to take him in the mid range but he backed off. I was pretty bummed but his car weighs about as much one of my floor mats.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Noxxin - Sorry to hear about your loss. So I take it you're keeping her in M most of the time ? Or rather in S and holding her where you want ?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 AM

s65AMG, sl500
Sorry to hear of your loss Noxxin

Bah no dry roads anywhere, would have been better with a boat

Anyway got over excited and put prudence to one side, poor car has only done just under 800 miles (but about 20 hours running time) , but decided that one or two bouts of hard acceleration couldn't do any harm .

Had it in standard comfort auto mode with traction on.

Cars engine is still abit tight, the road was very wet causing too much wheel spin then too much traction control intervention, need to work out the best launch strategy too for this one.

Took an appaling near 6.5 seconds to hit 60, but then hit the ton a shade under 13 seconds.

http://us.share.geocities.com/mrjumj...cture_0001.wmv

Still it makes a nice noise

Once it's properly run in, the rain stops , knock off the traction control , stick it in manual or sport and I'll be looking for 10ish for the ton and upper 4's 0-60, I hope, the others quite easily matched the manufacturers performance figures with the right technique.

Initial impressions

S63 sounds even better than the S55 which sounded better than the S65, despite running in power band seems good, miss the awesome low down a little of the S65 but this has plenty and doesn't light up the rears at 2000 rpm like the S65 could which actaully could make it a bit of a pain.

Comparing the S63 w221 to the S65 w220
Steering big improvement
Interior big improvement toys galore, nicely done interior
I can work the I drive (unlike the original BM one )
Ride a fraction worse >??? maybe not
Seats a tiny fraction more comfortable, but wads more lateral and bolster support, amazing adjustments and dynamic is better too
Gear box with paddles pretty damn impressive amazing for an auto in manual, good when in auto (the old S65 5 speeder was excellent though in auto)
Engine so far I am liking it below the 4500 limit, 7200 rpm red line on 6.3 litres of assertive German fun ooooh missus can't wait
Grip a tiny bit improved, poise and weight transference better and better turn in makes for a better handling car.
Distronic plus, whoa it works pretty well in heavy traffic or anywhere else so far I am astonished it is surprisingly smooth and clever, you really only need ensure car is pointing the right way round , this will really help during tiring drives.

S65 w220 was a great car, but power delivery in adverse conditions could make it difficult to relax , although it was a great power plant you really need to be doing 90+ to get benefit of it and the engine character was less a little less exciting than the V8's.

S63 W221 there is lots of little improvements and a couple of major ones (steering is a big one) that really move the game on.

http://us.share.geocities.com/mrjumj...cture_0001.wmv
Old 07-03-2007, 03:02 AM

2008 S63
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
Noxxin - Sorry to hear about your loss. So I take it you're keeping her in M most of the time ? Or rather in S and holding her where you want ?
Thanks guys I appreciate the condolences.

I have actually been in S most of the time while I'm on the freeway. I realized that 4th gives me a rocket like boost when engaging at around 80-90mph revving at around 4500-5500 rpm. I have also started downshifting to 3rd when needed at 50-60mph but trying not to push 3rd up too high in revs. I am noticing a major difference in shifting and performance since I hit 1k mile mark and got the ecu reprogrammed.