S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Questions on S63 030 Performance Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Questions on S63 030 Performance Package

Now that some S63's with the 030 Pkg have been delivered to, and experienced by, our members, is there a consensus on what it 'is' and its value to the S63...besides the different 20" wheels and the de-limited speedo? Is there something else 'there' for the $7,000 that it costs? There is no LSD, correct? Are the brakes different than the regular S63? Are the ABC calibrations different? Does it have an additional transmission cooler? Are there any other (besides wheels) visual clues to this package? Does it come with better performance tires than the non-030 S63? Does it drive different? If so, why do you think it does (lighter wheels?). If you had to order your S63 now, would you still have spent the $7,000 for this package? Is it worth it? Do you think you will be able to recoup some of that expense at re-sale? Thanks in advance for your replies. Z356
Old 07-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
The other primary visual difference is the wood - it's piano ebony black - personal taste will dictate your preference. I will say having seen a similar S63 without the package (the 2nd one delivered to my dealer - same color) I definitely prefer the look.
In terms of the performance differences to be honest - I'm not sure if there are additional technical differences and I don't think I'll hit the 186 mph.
So in terms of cost again it's personal taste - for me having seen the 2 side by side I'd opt for it again.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Don't think anyone really knows many of answers to your questions....need to drive 030 vs non-030 back-to-back on challenging real-world roads, smooth/bumpy, dry/wet, hilly/flat, etc, to see if subtle effects of lighter wheels/Pirelli vs Conti tires are seen in handling/braking feel....

Do more 030s come equipped w/Pirelli Zero The Hero tires than non-030s? Allegedly, these Pirellis are latest/greatest and are spec'd on 599s. Perhaps AMG calibrated 030 ABC to optimally interface w/these tires/wheels....

Does AMG perhaps install more robust motors in 030 cars (obviously, AMG always has a range of production tolerances/variances from which to choose)? Or tweak various computers on 030s for different power delivery/shiftpoints/ABC calibration, etc? Is exhaust note calibrated differently? Suspect in an era of easily modifiable software and typically cryptic German marketing (or lack thereof), there may be subtle tweaks not advertised for various reasons, incl regulatory issues, confusing marketing if want to do subtle intra-MY software changes, etc...notice how many new tweaks even the C63 supposedly will have....the software tech in AMGs seems to be rapidly evolving lately....

Is $7K worth it? Well, no one needs a $150K car anyway. But, to me, the $7K is worth every penny for fully-factory spec'd/safety-tested/installed/warrantied/lease-capitalized options.....and I fully expect $0 incremental trade-in value of 030...and expect poor trade-in value for any S/CL63.....but still think they are best overall driver's cars and best automotive values on planet today....but value judgments re: discretionary cars are fairly subjective....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by WSH
Don't think anyone really knows many of answers to your questions....need to drive 030 vs non-030 back-to-back on challenging real-world roads, smooth/bumpy, dry/wet, hilly/flat, etc, to see if subtle effects of lighter wheels/Pirelli vs Conti tires are seen in handling/braking feel....

Do more 030s come equipped w/Pirelli Zero The Hero tires than non-030s? Allegedly, these Pirellis are latest/greatest and are spec'd on 599s. Perhaps AMG calibrated 030 ABC to optimally interface w/these tires/wheels....

Does AMG perhaps install more robust motors in 030 cars (obviously, AMG always has a range of production tolerances/variances from which to choose)? Or tweak various computers on 030s for different power delivery/shiftpoints/ABC calibration, etc? Is exhaust note calibrated differently? Suspect in an era of easily modifiable software and typically cryptic German marketing (or lack thereof), there may be subtle tweaks not advertised for various reasons, incl regulatory issues, confusing marketing if want to do subtle intra-MY software changes, etc...notice how many new tweaks even the C63 supposedly will have....the software tech in AMGs seems to be rapidly evolving lately....

Is $7K worth it? Well, no one needs a $150K car anyway. But, to me, the $7K is worth every penny for fully-factory spec'd/safety-tested/installed/warrantied/lease-capitalized options.....and I fully expect $0 incremental trade-in value of 030...and expect poor trade-in value for any S/CL63.....but still think they are best overall driver's cars and best automotive values on planet today....but value judgments re: discretionary cars are fairly subjective....
Any questions.......see above. Well said.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by WSH

Besides the wood and VMax raise, all we can say for sure is that the wheels are lighter. Everything else is speculation. I would guess if anything were recalibrated, they'd advertise it.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
The MB web site indicates the performance package is available with either piano laquer or burl walnut. The e-brochure states that under the individual option section. I wonder if anyone has ordered the 030 w/burl. Seems like sorta defeating the purpose.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where have you found info on the S63 on the MB web site .... I can't seem to find the brochure or info on perf package
Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by turtle10250
where have you found info on the S63 on the MB web site .... I can't seem to find the brochure or info on perf package
Look at the e-brochure listed under the S550. There isn't one under the S63.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 PM

2008 S63 w/perf. pack, 2002 Ferrari 360 F1 spider , 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV (my Limo)
Originally Posted by Z356
Now that some S63's with the 030 Pkg have been delivered to, and experienced by, our members, is there a consensus on what it 'is' and its value to the S63...besides the different 20" wheels and the de-limited speedo? Is there something else 'there' for the $7,000 that it costs? There is no LSD, correct? Are the brakes different than the regular S63? Are the ABC calibrations different? Does it have an additional transmission cooler? Are there any other (besides wheels) visual clues to this package? Does it come with better performance tires than the non-030 S63? Does it drive different? If so, why do you think it does (lighter wheels?). If you had to order your S63 now, would you still have spent the $7,000 for this package? Is it worth it? Do you think you will be able to recoup some of that expense at re-sale? Thanks in advance for your replies. Z356
From what the Dealership told me, the wheels and tires are $1200 each in the 030 package the Black piano laquer is probably an expensive process also. Does it all total $ 7,000? I doubt it. Is it worth it to me, yup! If i'm paying 40 grand more for an AMG performance upgraded S class, I might as well go the distance.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 AM

2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
I have heard references to a "recalibrated ABC," and "better brakes," none of which is confirmed. It seems to make sense that some changes need to be made, just because of the different wheels and tires, but who knows.

When I ordered mine, I went with the "Grey" interior, and the black laquer trim looks great. When I saw the black one my dealer had (with the 030 package) with the black interior, I was glad I got grey. The black laquer trim seemed to get "lost" in all the black leather.

The wheels in the package are fantastic. I get a lot of compliments on them.

If I was ordering again, I would definitely opt for the 030 package.