S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Advice for 04 S55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 E320
Advice for 04 S55 AMG

Hi,
Apologies first if these questions are redundant. Anyway I have an 96 E320 and saw a deal for an 04 S55 AMG, 67K miles for about $35K. I have questions for all you experts.
1. Is this a good deal? Too good to be true?
2. How do I find out if the recalls have been done
3. The dealer is offerring Easy Care waranty for 30K on top of current miles or 30 months, whichever comes first.
4. How much are minor/major services
5. Any advice for things to do, watch out for to the car before I make the deal?
Thanks for any advice.
Doni
Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55

hate to break it you thats not that great a deal, I have an '04 SL55 w/42K miles I was talking with the dealer about a trade for the new SL63 and I was told 47.5K
Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had real bad experiences with easy car and I had the total package with my 00 S500. They hardly wanted to pay and most of the time I had to file a claim which took about 8 weeks to receive payment. Their labor rate is usually aroung $70 but c'mon, who charges that low of a labor rate? My dealer is atleast twice that. Shop around for extended warranties.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 PM

96 E320
Thanks guys,
Danny - correct me if I'm wrong, but the SL's and the S AMG are different types of vehicles right? Please explain your reasoning in why this is a bad deal. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.
Ken - Thanks for the input. This made me look around for other options. I called a local dealer and the quoted me twice as Easy Care and it's called Total Service Protection. Sure is pricey though.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by dodo19
Hi,
Apologies first if these questions are redundant. Anyway I have an 96 E320 and saw a deal for an 04 S55 AMG, 67K miles for about $35K. I have questions for all you experts.
1. Is this a good deal? Too good to be true?
2. How do I find out if the recalls have been done
3. The dealer is offerring Easy Care waranty for 30K on top of current miles or 30 months, whichever comes first.
4. How much are minor/major services
5. Any advice for things to do, watch out for to the car before I make the deal?
Thanks for any advice.
Doni
It all depends on what "Easy Care" actually is. Repairs on the S-Class are pretty darn pricey and you could EASILY drop $2K or $3K into a service even WITH some extended warranty coverages so read the policy before bothering to go any further. Also of CRITICAL importance is the FACT that MOST 3rd-party warranty companies will NOT warrant an AMG. The dealers will SAY they will, but the warranty company will show you where it states that they won't so don't simply take the dealer's word. The Airmatic adjustible suspension WILL fail on these cars. The only question is "has that repair already been done"?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55
well

the cars are different but they wanted to give me under 50K 2 months ago while the SL was still the current body style, yours isn't even the current body style and they want 10-12K less....
Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey Doni.
Well I think it sounds like a pretty good deal for the car. I just picked up an 03 S55 for 32,900 with 64K. It was the best decision I have made in some time. The car is amazing!!! I actually look forword to driving to my business just because the car makes me smile so much. I use to be a Corvette man then moved to a 00 S500 now the S55 and this is by far the best of them all. MB with the help of AMG have built a fantastic machine. Mercedes may be not the most reliable car out there but I sure do love driving them and the way it makes me feel. I have worked hard for what I have and feel that if I do have to pay a few thousand dollars for repairs it will be well worth it because thats how cool this car really is to me. Sorry for all the words but I just love these AMG machines! Just buy the car you WILL love it.
Johan
PS I don't really know much about the warrantees but have heard AMG cars are hard to insure.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Regarding Easy Care- purchased a warranty on my AMG, but did not receive any paperwork or anything, but have "extended warranty" with an amount listed on my sales contract.
Is this tied in w the VIN or something?
If I need to make a claim do they have the records at my dealership (W VIN - NOT where I purchased car) or do I need to provide some sort of ID card?
Would 2 months of warranty ownership be too long if I decided I wanted to cancel and receive pro-rated refund and take my chances w mechanical breakdowns? Are these contracts non-refundable (I have zero claims)

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM

96 E320
Thanks again to all of you that replied,
Well the car has been on the lot for 60+ days, a lot of interest but no one is biting. Which makes me wonder. It is a beautiful and fast sucker...
Anyway, anyone know of other choices of extended warranties that would cover an AMG out there? Johan, I know how you feel or at least I will if I get the car. I'll be grinning from ear to ear if I get it. As far as the cancelled warranty, I've been calling different dealerships and all warranty companies are all different. Some will refund if cancelled and some will not. Everytime I call a place and ask the names of the warranty companies and google their name, there are always complaints of late or no payment of people's claims. This is so confusing. I am tempted to bite the bullet and try my luck without a warranty and bear it if anything major happens. This will be a sleepless night I can tell.
Doni
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dodo19
Thanks again to all of you that replied,
Well the car has been on the lot for 60+ days, a lot of interest but no one is biting. Which makes me wonder. It is a beautiful and fast sucker...
Anyway, anyone know of other choices of extended warranties that would cover an AMG out there? Johan, I know how you feel or at least I will if I get the car. I'll be grinning from ear to ear if I get it. As far as the cancelled warranty, I've been calling different dealerships and all warranty companies are all different. Some will refund if cancelled and some will not. Everytime I call a place and ask the names of the warranty companies and google their name, there are always complaints of late or no payment of people's claims. This is so confusing. I am tempted to bite the bullet and try my luck without a warranty and bear it if anything major happens. This will be a sleepless night I can tell.
Doni
The reason the car has been on the lot for 60+ days may be because of the economy these days. I can't imagine it is easy to sell a 4/5 year old car for 35K with no waranty included. Just my opinion. Well I couldn't sleep again last night beacuse I kept thinking of driving the S55 today. I only drive to by business 2-3 times a week so I don't drive it everyday. I guess the smile factor is still there even after a couple of weeks!
Johan
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 AM

2006 Saleen, 2003 S55
I have a white 03 s55 with 50K on it. Loaded with every option, still under factory warranty. Car is immaculant, I waited for almost 6 months to find this car. I also have 20'' Lowenharts painted white with a chrome lip. If interested
email me and ill send you pics.
nmra92@optonline.net
Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 PM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by NMRA92
I have a white 03 s55 with 50K on it. Loaded with every option, still under factory warranty. Car is immaculant, I waited for almost 6 months to find this car. I also have 20'' Lowenharts painted white with a chrome lip. If interested
email me and ill send you pics.
nmra92@optonline.net
I am confused. Why would a 2003 still be under warranty? Your post makes it sound like it took you a long time to find the right car. Why would you be turning right back around and selling it. That is IF you are trying to sell it as it appears in this thread. If you are trying, please post both pics as well as your asking price (I assume it's in line with the $30K's targets others on here have already posted that they paid, right)?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM

2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
chryslerservicecontracts.com

chryslerservicecontracts.com will cover the S55.
Good service, warranty price is not great but in line with others...plus backed by (previously) DaimlerChrysler is a bit better than most 3rd party warranties.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by ndabunka
I am confused. Why would a 2003 still be under warranty? Your post makes it sound like it took you a long time to find the right car. Why would you be turning right back around and selling it. That is IF you are trying to sell it as it appears in this thread. If you are trying, please post both pics as well as your asking price (I assume it's in line with the $30K's targets others on here have already posted that they paid, right)?
He must have taken the extended MB warranty, 7yrs, 100k (I think).
That sounds like a beautiful car, at 50k it's just broken in.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Hey Doni.
Well I think it sounds like a pretty good deal for the car. I just picked up an 03 S55 for 32,900 with 64K. It was the best decision I have made in some time. The car is amazing!!! I actually look forword to driving to my business just because the car makes me smile so much. I use to be a Corvette man then moved to a 00 S500 now the S55 and this is by far the best of them all. MB with the help of AMG have built a fantastic machine. Mercedes may be not the most reliable car out there but I sure do love driving them and the way it makes me feel. I have worked hard for what I have and feel that if I do have to pay a few thousand dollars for repairs it will be well worth it because thats how cool this car really is to me. Sorry for all the words but I just love these AMG machines! Just buy the car you WILL love it.
Johan
PS I don't really know much about the warrantees but have heard AMG cars are hard to insure.
Wow thats still pretty high price for a 03. I am too afraid to look at my resale value. I have an 04 with 39000 miles.