S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

viper kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63 AMG, 2008 ML 550
First of all, awesome kill.

Second of all - there are options on the AMG vehicles (factory options) to remove electronic speed limiters. They will still have an Electronic RPM limiter not to burn the engine, but e-speed limiters removal is an option.
my s63 has it - (i've topped at 160MPH, but could've probably pushed more, but in NYC area -not easy).

I've killed a viper in the past - but without the tow in the car - and killed on ocean parkway in brooklyn - not saying much - but its doable.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
It is quick for its size but don't think any of the 55k cars, apart from the SLR, are particularly stable above 130mph.

Nice run though
Sorry to disagree - but you are very wrong about this. Pretty much any MB is stable above 130. Especially the ones that would potentially able to go far beyond 155...

EDIT - responded before reading thru the entire thread - and read the other replies to this comment and Carl's reply as well.

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Yes I am. Ask other members and longtime 55k owners like moderator Vic55.

It is stable compared to lesser cars but not in the context of its peers ala the M5, 996 Turbo etc.
Saying that none of the 55K cars are particular stable above 130 is still a very poor statement.

HMMM what do you mean with stable??? My understanding was that you ment cruising at 160MPH. In this context the S55 will be more stable than both the M5 and the 996. Going in a straight line only.

If we throw a curve into the mix at 130+++ the M5 and 996 will certainly be more stable in such a situation.

Stable can have a very broad meaning....

But I bet you than any 55K car more "stable" than any stock viper at 130++

Last edited by gollard; 09-04-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by @nv@
First of all, awesome kill.

Second of all - there are options on the AMG vehicles (factory options) to remove electronic speed limiters. They will still have an Electronic RPM limiter not to burn the engine, but e-speed limiters removal is an option.
my s63 has it - (i've topped at 160MPH, but could've probably pushed more, but in NYC area -not easy).

I've killed a viper in the past - but without the tow in the car - and killed on ocean parkway in brooklyn - not saying much - but its doable.
A few things....

First of all, the current crop of 63 AMG's do have a performance package which moves the speed limiter from 155mph to 186mph.

Secondly, the car in question is an S55 which had no option to extend the speed limiter to 186mph...unless you bring the car to the AMG factory in Affalterbach. However, this can be remidied with an aftermarket tune.

Thirdly, the generation of Viper is extremely important in bragging about a Viper kill. If you told me that you beat a 450hp Viper GTS coupe or 2003 or newer Viper (gen III or IV)...than I would pretty much tell you that the other guy wasn't racing or was completely clueless on how to drive. If you told me you beat a Gen I or Gen II 415hp roadster...I would tell you nice kill. It is kind of like someone else saying "I killed an E55 AMG in my Audi RS4". It wouldn't be believable if the E55 was a 2003-2006...but entirely believable if it was a 2000-2002 E55.

Tom
Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Not to put more oil on the fire but last year I had a run in with a Viper also ( very rare in my old neighborhood). I didn't post it here for one reason everyone would call BS on it. I for one am not saying a S55 could beat a Viper but like I allways say crazy things happen on the streets.

As for my story I ran SRT10. Now before people say counldn't be SRT10, I know what they look like. Ran even with him from a dig till 80 and we both shut down. This was a light to light race. Couple of things this was a convertible, two people in the viper and I don't think his car was running right. The reason I say this is at 65mph or so I heard a backfire of somesort from his car. At the next light he turned, did get a chance to ask if his car was OK.

With that said I won he lost. If I ran one again do I think I would win? No I dont.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
sound 8

I hate to say this, but I doubted this from the start, now there are others.
As a pure power to weight ratio the Viper should have walked it, but as time
as gone by, I think it's the truth. If the Viper was an earlier model, a bit
sick with a driver who likes self preservation, not necessarily a bad driver
it could have happened as said. I am use to people dobting my posts so
NICE KILL !!!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
Nice kill

my s55 is stable and quite at all speeds. it is delimited and has seen 175mph on the right road and conditions.

i think some people dont realize how fast it reaches these speeds. In my early car days, I had a '71 olds with a 455 and quadra-jet carbs, it would get to 95 quite quickly, but from 100 - 120mph took for-ever...... the s55 goes to 150mph in short order.... you dont need a lot of road to get there.... makes it easy to do on a whim..... just have to judge the environment....

I couldnt let the thread die

Originally Posted by sound 8
I hate to say this, but I doubted this from the start, now there are others.
As a pure power to weight ratio the Viper should have walked it, but as time
as gone by, I think it's the truth. If the Viper was an earlier model, a bit
sick with a driver who likes self preservation, not necessarily a bad driver
it could have happened as said. I am use to people dobting my posts so
NICE KILL !!!