S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Carbon Fiber Interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Hmm I contacted them too I thought they told me around 750, maybe I did the conversion wrong. Anyways I thought they sold the complete pieces anyone around here can do a wrap so I am not sending it to them. What I meant was the wood/carbon between the buttons the picture didn't show any, but that doesn't matter since you have to send yours out.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I love the reply

If you don't agree with the pricing,just don't patronize the guy.
I don't know what business you are in,but if someone does not like what you charge and demands to see your business model to justify your pricing you would tell him to go F himself.
If you can get 3 yards of real CF why don't you cover your own wood with overlay?It is not rocket science and a rocket scientist is most likely not your profession.
It costs me wholesale $58 for quality .015 epoxy pressured 11 by 22 inch sheets of CF and a quality job of just the center trans console takes 6 hours of labor.And that is for my own enjoyment or friends cars that I do it for.
If you find the price to high for your taste,look elsewhere.Don't castrate the guy.He is charging what he thinks it is worth.It is not up to you to demand justification.What *****

another tip
If you ever want your rig painted.Go to earl scibe for certainly if you go to a high end shop you will be belly aching about why it takes so long and cost so very very much
No ones owes anyone an explanation of how they price their products.If you are to cheap or want lower pricing shop someplace that caters to your comfort level.
JC whitney may have some cf you can trim and apply with elmers glue.

Last edited by ohlord; 05-15-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55, Porsche 996 Targa
Thanks for the chance to get your business

Oxygen,

Thanks for the opportunity to have quoted you on your S63. I'm sorry that we did not do a good enough job explaining why the quote was the amount it was.

As pointed out earlier, lamination is not rocket science. There are various suppliers with various levels of quality and various price points. We do the best we can to supply the best possible quality at the best possible price for the size (small!) markets we serve. We specialize in parts for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and have a rapidly expanding Mercedes business. We do no sell low end parts but parts that are the quality level of our target market. We are not trying to soak the rich nor do we think 'they can afford it'. We charge what we do in order to stay in business providing our level of quality. If that's not reasonable in your opinion, then I would suggest taking a look at other vendors. But I would expect that our number will be lower than that from MP or a company like Brabus or another ‘European’ tuner.

I'd like to share some details about the S-class and why its one of the more difficult cars to do.

The summarize the S-Class trim is not designed to be CF'd. The dash piece is large and all of the parts (dash and doors) are edged with the silver plastic trim that must be carefully removed before doing the carbon work. The parts also have fairly complex lighting on the back that has to be removed as well.

Then the wood has to be reduced or removed (depending on the piece) in order to maintain the same thickness after the carbon has been applied. Unlike Porsche or Lamborghini or even the C-class, the W220 parts are not available in plain plastic – which is the best surface to work on.

For laminate parts, we take about 15 business days from start to finish. That much time is needed to do the disassembly work, all of the prep work, the carbon application, the various layers if clear, sanding, polishing, and reassembly. The drying time for just the resins and clear coat can be several days each. Rushing and trying to accelerate the process will effect the end product in both immediate finish quality and long term durability. I would be very skeptical of someone who promises you a 4 day turnaround. I certainly wouldn't want to put the results in my car. For those interested in the process, we have a step by step description on the MAcarbon website. It’s in the About Us section under Carbon Lamination.

As for other areas of complaint, we informed you of the expense of the parts from Mercedes (about $2500 wholesale) and you asked us to quote the work using your parts. 4-6 weeks is a conservative number that gives us room to deliver a quality result. Granted, that is not very practical for a daily driver.

With the AMG Performance Studio and their $3K kit, if it’s real I'd go for that. When we did our customer's S600, the only OEM CF part available for the car was the center console. I'm not aware that the situation has changed. Considering the cost of the plain-Jane wood parts, I find a $3K number pretty low and to be a super deal. Let me know if you can get it - I have a number of customers that want it as well. And the AMG parts are laminates as well.

Thanks again for the chance to get your business. The S-class is a tough nut to crack but for a true carbon enthusiast, it’s a fun project.

John Borchelt
MAcarbon
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
solid response to an email that (sorry oxygen) didn't really need or deserve a response.

I can't for the life of me understand why guys would want CF in their S-class interior, but MAcarbon seems like they do a very good job.

Any pics of the results John?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Poor Photos

Thanks OliverK.

We did receive some pics from the customer but they are not very good. I'll post them up but remeber that carbon is at its worst when the flash on a camera is used. I think they were also taken with a camera phone. You can see the silver trim at the bottom of each piece. I've also included a pics of the OEM center console.

The car has a Brabus engine and has a bunch of other mods. For a car like this, I think the CF insterior makes a statement and looks more appropriate than the wood.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Interior-brabus_sclass.jpg   Carbon Fiber Interior-nsmail-7.jpg   Carbon Fiber Interior-nsmail-4.jpg   Carbon Fiber Interior-nsmail-6.jpg   Carbon Fiber Interior-nsmail-5.jpg  

Carbon Fiber Interior-dsc05447.jpg  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

OEM console

Here's one more photo of the OEM console. You can see how its already a little milky - on a brand new car.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Interior-dsc05449.jpg