S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
It has nothing to do with age. I have raced Ferrari 599's, Lambo Murciellago's and any other exotics around here and have had no problem beating them and any other car is slower than my S55. This is why I see no need for more BHP unless you plan to track your car, which is pretty funny seeing a flagship German luxury car on a drag strip.

The other major point that few will point out is most of the so-called upgrades people perform actually slow down the car. Bigger wheels and tires are one good example, they increase unsprung weight and slow it down. Of course the after market industry is a multi-billion dollar one, but nobody will tell you that because they want you to upgrade your car to death.

This is a nicely balanced car with power, handling and braking working well as a unit. A thousand BHP will ruin the set up since everything has to work together in harmony.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
Originally Posted by Corsa9000
It has nothing to do with age. I have raced Ferrari 599's, Lambo Murciellago's and any other exotics around here and have had no problem beating them and any other car is slower than my S55. This is why I see no need for more BHP unless you plan to track your car, which is pretty funny seeing a flagship German luxury car on a drag strip.

The other major point that few will point out is most of the so-called upgrades people perform actually slow down the car. Bigger wheels and tires are one good example, they increase unsprung weight and slow it down. Of course the after market industry is a multi-billion dollar one, but nobody will tell you that because they want you to upgrade your car to death.

This is a nicely balanced car with power, handling and braking working well as a unit. A thousand BHP will ruin the set up since everything has to work together in harmony.
you beat all those cars..lolz..they must let you win...

yes it does have to do with age...you don't see any old man/woman modified their s55....because they dont really care about going fast and impress their friend...

s55 is not fast...**maybe im use to the power***...and my heavy wheels..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

2000 S430
[quote=Viet_Amg408;3738690] you beat all those cars..lolz..they must let you win...

yes it does have to do with age...you don't see any old man/woman modified their s55....because they dont really care about going fast and impress their friend...

s55 is not fast...**maybe im use to the power***...and my heavy wheels..[/quote]

fast is a relative term. the s55 is brutal for what it is! maybe your car needs a tube up if you think its not "fast" or maybe ur just used to the power really...
Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Pinto
[quote=klex;3738769][quote=Viet_Amg408;3738690] you beat all those cars..lolz..they must let you win...

s55 is not fast...**maybe im use to the power***...and my heavy wheels..[/quote]

fast is a relative term. the s55 is brutal for what it is! maybe your car needs a tube up if you think its not "fast" or maybe ur just used to the power really.

stock is slow actually...need moaaaaaaaarrrrr power......lol..

one can never have too much power...

whats the update? ShangoAshe report asap.............

duma
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 AMG GT-R PRO
Hey everyone!
Sorry for the late update, after the dyno tune a couple of us went for dinner along with Travis and Jeremy from PowerChip. Before I begin telling everyone what happened at the dyno, I want to make some information "CLEAR", before anyone starts flamming at my results. Unfortunately my first run was never printed "baseline", but anyways.

So today I arrived early to get prepared for the dyno tune. I decided to get a "Custom PC Dyno Tune" because I have pulley and headers without a tune. But anyways, in Canada, we have 94 Octane ready to use, and I basically drive 94 Octane on a daily basis. Today, the outside temperature here is relatively low around 11-12 degrees Celsius (Approx 52.7F). And the dyno we used today was DynoDynamics.

So first the dyno was basically "tested" by a c63 which had a re-flash done by PowerChip running 3" pipes all the way. After the flash the car ran about 440hp on the wheel and 385tq on the wheel. (40hp gain and 40'ish tq gain from stock) On the DynoDyamics of course. The gain seemed right but the numbers seemed high at first, so we speculated the dyno was set a little high. Then a 330i went up just to compare the numbers. The BMW ran a 220hp on a Mustang Dyno before, and today on a DynoDynamics it ran a 212hp. It seemed fair and Jeremy speculated it may be the 94 octane and temperature that resulted in the higher numbers on the c63 (which was also running 94 octane).

So I decided to go on next, with my ASP 180mm Pulley, K&N Filters, FD Short-tube Headers, and 3" straight-pipe. For all the runs we used 3rd gear pull. At first just running the car as is, i only ran 375hp and about 320tq on the wheel. Seemed low, but Jeremy assured me it was due to the torque limiter. So Jeremy said he would re-move the torque limiter and put in a standard flash to accomadate with my modifications. At my amazement I ran 510hp and 430tq on the wheel. I will post this dyno graph and you can see that the "brown" was my initial "baseline" which ran very low on the mods. (375hp and 320tq)

here is a link to compare my baseline with, although that car is stock. I'm guessing its because my car is "un-tuned" i run lower than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pZqGnXMrY

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-graph-1.jpg

Anyways so after this dyno, Jeremy tweeked the data some more and decided to change the fuel level and richness. And guess what? My car ran 563.4hp and 500tq on the wheels.

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-graph-2.jpg

As you can see that was an IMENSE jump. At first I was questioning the dyno accuracy, but just dyno numbers aside look at the difference in the power GAINED on my car from baseline. That's a 188hp gain ON THE WHEELS! Jeremy decided to see whether or not he can get some more power on the car, so we went for another software upload. At this point the car was already heating up, with two huge blowers blastin at the heat exchanger and a huge fan in the front we made a couple more runs. And heres the result for my final dyno run.

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-graph-3.jpg

As you can see that is 570.9hp on the wheel and about 510tq on the wheel. Keep in mind, even with numbers aside from baseline, I made 195hp on the wheel. That was ridiculous, even Jeremy and Travis thought the gains were tremendous. Jeremy believed even if the numbers were skeptical high, he thinks my car is one of the odd freak engines with crazy stock hourse power. And as I said this is a Dyno Dynamic, which we all know runs more conservatively. At baseline if I ran 375hp and 320tq, i felt it was pretty believable, although it seems extremely low for an engine with pulley and headers without tune.

But regardless about the numbers, the gains were AMAZING. I'm sure someone WILL flame about the numbers but you can NOT argue about the gains. I give my to PowerChip (Jeremy and Travis) to a job well done.

Let me tell you, as I ripped across the road driving 190km/h at about 5500rpm, my traction control lights came on that definitely scared me ****less. But this car holls like CRAZY, definitely a sleeper running around the streets. But anyways, my point is, anybody can play around with numbers, but no body can argue with gains. So I will definitely go on the strip this friday, and really see what this baby can do! That'll prove it's true power!

Heres more pictures of the dyno day we had today!

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-img01415-20090928-1332.jpg
Attachment 166782

Last edited by ShangoAshe; 09-29-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-img01416-20090928-1408.jpg

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-img01418-20090928-1429.jpg

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-img01419-20090928-1526.jpg

Any s55's With Performance MODS?!-img01410-20090928-1331.jpg

GOOD JOB POWERCHIP!

Last edited by ShangoAshe; 09-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM

2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Well, I have not seen too many 18 year olds buying AMG cars, the target market for S55 is the 45-50 year old buyer since the car cost $124K new.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
Well, I have not seen too many 18 year olds buying AMG cars, the target market for S55 is the 45-50 year old buyer since the car cost $124K new.
Please I understand what you guys are trying to say, but stay on topic.

You stated your opinion on your first post and that's enough. Any other opinion about ages or what not you can keep to your-self. I opened this thread to talk about modification, yes my hobby, if you don't like it that is your personal opinion and I respect that. So if you have nothing better to say then see you later!

And for your information, I bought this car brand new in my late 20's, first owner. If you have more questions about my age, or why I like to modify my car, just PM me.
The following users liked this post:
poormanAMG (10-25-2019)
Old 09-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Pinto
Im 24..bought it when i was 23...anyways..

nice number...570 rwhp...how much that at the crank?...what the powertrain lost %?..

wow...i think im next in line to do this..

can i pm you ask how much total for everything?

Last edited by Viet_Amg408; 09-29-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by ShangoAshe
Hey everyone!
Sorry for the late update, after the dyno tune a couple of us went for dinner along with Travis and Jeremy from PowerChip. Before I begin telling everyone what happened at the dyno, I want to make some information "CLEAR", before anyone starts flamming at my results. Unfortunately my first run was never printed "baseline", but anyways.

So today I arrived early to get prepared for the dyno tune. I decided to get a "Custom PC Dyno Tune" because I have pulley and headers without a tune. But anyways, in Canada, we have 94 Octane ready to use, and I basically drive 94 Octane on a daily basis. Today, the outside temperature here is relatively low around 11-12 degrees Celsius (Approx 52.7F). And the dyno we used today was DynoDynamics.

So first the dyno was basically "tested" by a c63 which had a re-flash done by PowerChip running 3" pipes all the way. After the flash the car ran about 440hp on the wheel and 385tq on the wheel. (40hp gain and 40'ish tq gain from stock) On the DynoDyamics of course. The gain seemed right but the numbers seemed high at first, so we speculated the dyno was set a little high. Then a 330i went up just to compare the numbers. The BMW ran a 220hp on a Mustang Dyno before, and today on a DynoDynamics it ran a 212hp. It seemed fair and Jeremy speculated it may be the 94 octane and temperature that resulted in the higher numbers on the c63 (which was also running 94 octane).

So I decided to go on next, with my ASP 180mm Pulley, K&N Filters, FD Short-tube Headers, and 3" straight-pipe. For all the runs we used 3rd gear pull. At first just running the car as is, i only ran 375hp and about 320tq on the wheel. Seemed low, but Jeremy assured me it was due to the torque limiter. So Jeremy said he would re-move the torque limiter and put in a standard flash to accomadate with my modifications. At my amazement I ran 510hp and 430tq on the wheel. I will post this dyno graph and you can see that the "brown" was my initial "baseline" which ran very low on the mods. (375hp and 320tq)

here is a link to compare my baseline with, although that car is stock. I'm guessing its because my car is "un-tuned" i run lower than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pZqGnXMrY

Attachment 166788

Anyways so after this dyno, Jeremy tweeked the data some more and decided to change the fuel level and richness. And guess what? My car ran 563.4hp and 500tq on the wheels.

Attachment 166789

As you can see that was an IMENSE jump. At first I was questioning the dyno accuracy, but just dyno numbers aside look at the difference in the power GAINED on my car from baseline. That's a 188hp gain ON THE WHEELS! Jeremy decided to see whether or not he can get some more power on the car, so we went for another software upload. At this point the car was already heating up, with two huge blowers blastin at the heat exchanger and a huge fan in the front we made a couple more runs. And heres the result for my final dyno run.

Attachment 166790

As you can see that is 570.9hp on the wheel and about 510tq on the wheel. Keep in mind, even with numbers aside from baseline, I made 195hp on the wheel. That was ridiculous, even Jeremy and Travis thought the gains were tremendous. Jeremy believed even if the numbers were skeptical high, he thinks my car is one of the odd freak engines with crazy stock hourse power. And as I said this is a Dyno Dynamic, which we all know runs more conservatively. At baseline if I ran 375hp and 320tq, i felt it was pretty believable, although it seems extremely low for an engine with pulley and headers without tune.

But regardless about the numbers, the gains were AMAZING. I'm sure someone WILL flame about the numbers but you can NOT argue about the gains. I give my to PowerChip (Jeremy and Travis) to a job well done.

Let me tell you, as I ripped across the road driving 190km/h at about 5500rpm, my traction control lights came on that definitely scared me ****less. But this car holls like CRAZY, definitely a sleeper running around the streets. But anyways, my point is, anybody can play around with numbers, but no body can argue with gains. So I will definitely go on the strip this friday, and really see what this baby can do! That'll prove it's true power!

Heres more pictures of the dyno day we had today!

Attachment 166781
Attachment 166782
Great numbers but the HP is is higher than the TQ?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
For some reason, yes, jeremy believed the torque numbers were very good; but, can't wrap his head around why the car makes so much hp!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 PM

LS430
For some reason, yes, jeremy believed the torque numbers were very good; but, can't wrap his head around why the car makes so much hp!

That's one thing I quite rarely see especially with the M113K engine, normally torque is higher than hp. INSANE GAINS. For those who ask about a drivetrain loss, such as you Viet AMG; 18% is about right on the 5-speed. Doing that puts the car at a out of this world (especially for the mods it got) 696hp and 622ft-lbs, please go to the 1/4 mile and surprise some people. I would love to see what happens with long tube headers (tested by MBH that picked up 40-50rwhp over shorties) and adding a throttle body in their for some more airflow, especially up top. You have one strong as hell S55.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
haha thanks, i'm definitely going to the track ASAP. As long as the weather permits... haha but yah, like I said, my engine's just an awkward freaky engine. Complete opposite of what it "SHOULD" produce. I don't mind the extra horsepower, i mean even with 510tq on the wheel, I feel its too much.

but yah, hopefully i will have the chance to do a couple runs this friday.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 PM

Pinto
make sure you have some slicks tires..before going to the track..all those torque..you not going no where...w/o traction ....

i guess amg engine a somewhat hand-built so each one acts differently..iono... ahhahaha

again..im so jelouse....wish my s55 is fast like urs.. damn
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 AM

LS430
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
make sure you have some slicks tires..before going to the track..all those torque..you not going no where...w/o traction ....

i guess amg engine a somewhat hand-built so each one acts differently..iono... ahhahaha

again..im so jelouse....wish my s55 is fast like urs.. damn
Only way to know is to drop some mods on it!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 AM

LS430
haha thanks, i'm definitely going to the track ASAP. As long as the weather permits... haha but yah, like I said, my engine's just an awkward freaky engine. Complete opposite of what it "SHOULD" produce. I don't mind the extra horsepower, i mean even with 510tq on the wheel, I feel its too much.

but yah, hopefully i will have the chance to do a couple runs this friday.

I also can't wait to hear what kind of surprise stories you'll experience when a full size sedan makes 95% of cars look like they are in reverse.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM

Pinto
yeah i will get some mods..money is tight right now..not ballin like you guys lol...

speaking of track...u guys probably seen this s-class move down the track..edit: not s55 ..but ShangoAshe should move down the track similar..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFGOhwxkQE
poor twin turbo supra......

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lFGOhwxkQE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_lFGOhwxkQE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Viet_Amg408; 09-30-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
always moarrrrrrrrrrrr POwerrrrrrrrrrrr.....

well it also depend on your age...if you in your 40's or 50's with 500 BHP .its too much power...

im guessing ShangoAshe is probably in his late 20's...
Viet,

I am 53 thank you and looking to increase the power my car is making with Kleeman pulley, K2tune, headers and sport cats and an 80mm TB. I ain't speeding, I'm qualifying! It has very littel to do with age, it has to do with "because I can and I want to!" I cannot be accused of a second chiildhood however as I haven't ever finished the first one.

I think BTW that it's the E-class guys who don't get it. The S55 is a far superior car to tune. It already has added heat removal capacity in terms of both the extra heat exchanger and the bigger engine bay. Also, the most overlooked FACT is that there is really very little difference in weight between the two, <200lbs. Make a fat guy ride shotgun with the E-55 and you've negated any weight advantage. In addition, the extra weight of the S over the rear end actually aids in hooking up all that torque to the ground. Spinning the tires faster without going anywhere is NOT where it's at.

I for one agree with the assessment of Kleemann as the best combination on the market of cost and reliability and support. Cory and the gang in Denver are tops. I just added the headers and sport cats and the K2 ECU tune and the difference over the K1 (pulley and tune) let alone stock was quite marked. The car has gone from fast (stock) to quick (K1) to sudden. Drop down to 3rd gear at 80mph and stand on it and if you aren't watching where you are going you'll run over that car that was way in front of you!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
"Great numbers but the HP is is higher than the TQ? "

Yes once you do exhaust mods and free up flow you gain HP but loose TQ. All in all 500+ and 500+ is a well balanced car and you should be very happy with the power curve when you are going threw the rpms. Congrats
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Go to the track ASAP to confirm the numbers.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

LS430
yeah i will get some mods..money is tight right now..not ballin like you guys lol...

speaking of track...u guys probably seen this s-class move down the track..edit: not s55 ..but ShangoAshe should move down the track similar..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFGOhwxkQE
poor twin turbo supra......
That's Ben Treynor's S600, 481rwhp 560rwtq stock, 525rwhp 643rwtq with a ecu/tcu tune, 1/4 mile was at 11.586 with the tune.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
We went out for a late night cruise yesterday. Let me tell you this car pulls like nothing else. We had a couple cars down, trying to figure out the potential of my car.

A stock cls55 and my s55 had about 5 pulls from 60mph roll. ALL 5 times, my car immediately just walks away from it, no joke, by the time we reached 125mph I was already at LEAST 4-5 car lengths in front of him.

I love it, the torque creates enough exhilaration as soon as the kick-down come in, and the horsepower just keeps pulling throughout the rpms. I'm very happy with the modifications on my car, can't wait for my next so called "mod". I'm getting a set of Carlsson 1/16 BE 19" on the car. But anyways, more to come!

In the meantime, I'm going to be the ultimate sleeper and just .

Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 AM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
its not really a sleeper. 4 years ago it was but these days most people are realizing that the 55's/600's/65's are no joke in any platform. I have a friend with a modded 03 cobra who had to be shown twice that a stock e55 and a stock cl55 would eat him up. Now he does not want to mess with anything with a star on the trunk. His girl told me that a new m5 tore him up on the highway so he is adding M5's to the list as well. Lot of fast stuff out there these days
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
Originally Posted by Bukwild
its not really a sleeper. 4 years ago it was but these days most people are realizing that the 55's/600's/65's are no joke in any platform. I have a friend with a modded 03 cobra who had to be shown twice that a stock e55 and a stock cl55 would eat him up. Now he does not want to mess with anything with a star on the trunk. His girl told me that a new m5 tore him up on the highway so he is adding M5's to the list as well. Lot of fast stuff out there these days
To the average driver, yes, it is actually a sleeper.
The car more or less just looks like any other s-class.
But I do agree, 55k's are fast!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

2000 S430
that sounds like alot of fun, if i had a 55 i'd be in alot of trouble on the streets. my lil old 430 still gets me in trouble now and again cruising at 130mph on i95...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any s55's With Performance MODS?!