S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Rear seat option add on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Rear seat option add on?

Hello all.
I have been looking and looking for used 03-05 S55's with decently low mileage for about 6 months now. However, I REALLY want one with the rear seat option. I haven't been able to find many with that option for sale unless the car is ridiculously overpriced. I know it was an option that costed $ but, to find used cars same mileage and year going for 25k and the nicer ones at 40k...its hard to justify it.
So....my QUESTION is...how difficult is it to convert the rear seats to the reclining with vented and heated seats? It may just be worth buying one without it and adding it.
Thanks for any replies that may help me out!!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by g9s8r
Hello all.
I have been looking and looking for used 03-05 S55's with decently low mileage for about 6 months now. However, I REALLY want one with the rear seat option. I haven't been able to find many with that option for sale unless the car is ridiculously overpriced. I know it was an option that costed $ but, to find used cars same mileage and year going for 25k and the nicer ones at 40k...its hard to justify it.
So....my QUESTION is...how difficult is it to convert the rear seats to the reclining with vented and heated seats? It may just be worth buying one without it and adding it.
Thanks for any replies that may help me out!!
Funny, I have the rear seat option and wasn't psyched about it. Would like to fit 5 people in the car. So first I thought about offering to sell it to you, but then started thinking about all of the moving parts... like the seat pictogram door controls for each side. It might be harder to do the conversion than you think...

Last edited by Zax63; 01-25-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
It will definitely be expensive to convert.

I have the rear reclining seats with vent/heat on mine - it's a nice option, but I would not go out of the way to get it if it means spending much more.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Zax63...Thanks for even having the glimpse of the idea. LOL. I am still hoping to find one with it to buy. But, not sure I will find someone selling a used 03-05 with it that is reasonable priced.
Rondocap...I have contemplated it over and over and I decided I will not go without it. I don't particularly sit in the back seat myself but...my 63 year old mother and 88 year old grandmother definitely would appreciate and enjoy any trip with that comfort.

I just don't know if I should keep waiting and waiting to find an 03-05 S55 used with that option or buy one without that option and try to add it. Because, I have not seen many with it at all....for sale that is. =)
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 AMG '06
You're talking about just the heated/ventilated rear seats that recline (sort of), and not the 4 place seating package right? I have an '06 S55 with this option for sale if you're interested. Silver/charcoal with 39k miles. Flawless. PM if interested.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by peebs1
You're talking about just the heated/ventilated rear seats that recline (sort of), and not the 4 place seating package right? I have an '06 S55 with this option for sale if you're interested. Silver/charcoal with 39k miles. Flawless. PM if interested.
What's the difference between the 4 place seating and the heated/vented seats the recline (sort of)?

I thought, perhaps wrongly, they were the same thing.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 AM

GL550
Check out the attached pictures. The one with the light interior has 4 place seating (my car). 4 place seating was about a $4,000 option on the s65. You lose the middle seat and middle seatbelt and gain full lumbar support (up down etc. just like in the front seats) including massaging seats and bolster control. You also get up and down movement of the seat, not just back and forth and you get 3 memory positions.

The regular moving seats look just like a bench seat however the two outside seats go back and forth (and recline obviously while doing that). You only get one lumbar control.

In both cases ventilation was optional (4 place seating came with heated rear seats) and heated rear seats were optional on the regular reclining seats.

I would say the 4 place seating is worth it if you regularly travel with people in the back and rarely need 5 seats.

Overall, me personally, I would have preferred not having 4 place seating but was more interested in a clean car with particular options than in a 5 place car so it was a non-issue for me.

Hope this helps.

D.

P.S. From what little research I have done, it appears that many more S65s have the 4 place seating vs. the S55.

P.S. 2. I added one more picture so you can see the difference in lumbar support controls.
Attached Thumbnails Rear seat option add on?-d537f3cd7f00000100d3ab8b667e86d4.jpg   Rear seat option add on?-wdbng79j06a471038_10.jpg   Rear seat option add on?-f6029_13_lg.jpg  

Last edited by BVLDARI; 01-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures, makes sense now!

The rear seats in my 600 just have the vented and heated options plus recline. Didn't realise you could step it up a notch from there! A very nice option to have if you drive people around in back regularly, the centre area looks nice too.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
BVLDARI...Thanks for the info!! That is some very interesting information. Especially since I am new to the MB scene. (still waiting to find one I would actually buy). I do really like that 4 place seating option. That is really nice. However, I am one of those 'just in case' kind of guys. Even though I would rank the 4 place seating as better, I wouldn't want to lose that center section, 'just in case' I need that seating available.

On another note...if it was a $4k option...I would be safe to assume that I wouldn't be paying more than 4k to add that if I chose?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by g9s8r
On another note...if it was a $4k option...I would be safe to assume that I wouldn't be paying more than 4k to add that if I chose?
Very few options are actually worth anything on the second hand market.

Based on my research (over about a year) I'd say the AMG package definitely attracted a premium, as did Keyless Go to some extent. Everything else not so much. That said a top of line, nicely kitted out S500 would be a bit more than bare bones one.

I would be stunned if a seller was trying to ask $1000 more, let alone $4k, for a vehicle equipped with 4 place seating. The car itself has depreciated by about 2/3rds since new...

Good luck in finding the right vehicle
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM

GL550
g9s8r, I just dug it up and that option retailed for $4,250 for the S65. Same thing was $6,190 for the S55 and this is before ventilation which was another $1,670 (these are 2006 prices). So realistically on the S55 you are looking at an $8,000 option which explains why so few of them have it.

As far as being a just in case I felt the same way initially. I was determined NOT to buy a four place seating car. But, after some long discussions with one of my best friends (and car enthusiast), I realized that I very very seldom have 5 people in the car and I cant remember ever running into a situation where I HAD to have 5 in the car. I owned an M3 convertible before which was definitely a 4 seater and don’t remember a single time where I regretted having only four seats.

So at the end of the day, I decided that whether the car had it or did not have it, was no big deal. I was personally after some other must have for me options (park distance, phone, keyless go) and after a nice clean car.

On the other hand, if you absolutely HAD to have 5 people, if one of them is slim, you could open the cover of the center “console” (so you don’t break it) and have that person “sit” there for 5-10 minutes. If they are a “couple” they could sit in the other person’s lap – there is plenty of room. Obviously no long trips here…

Just my $0.02.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (02-12-2024)
Old 01-26-2010, 04:41 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Fraser
Very few options are actually worth anything on the second hand market.

Based on my research (over about a year) I'd say the AMG package definitely attracted a premium, as did Keyless Go to some extent. Everything else not so much. That said a top of line, nicely kitted out S500 would be a bit more than bare bones one.

I would be stunned if a seller was trying to ask $1000 more, let alone $4k, for a vehicle equipped with 4 place seating. The car itself has depreciated by about 2/3rds since new...

Good luck in finding the right vehicle
I agree with Fraser. Options are a very individual thing and are worth more or less to different people. My car has all but one options so to ME it was worth more than a bare bones one (which I have seen) and because there were options that I “had” to have, a car that didn’t have those options was worth far less to me than one that did. So in essence, I think I subtracted more for not having options than I added if it did. At the end of the day, think of how you will be using the car and what is important to you. Then figure out if there are any “must haves” and go from there. Lastly, if you are looking at spending $40k on 03-05 S55, I would suggest you start looking at 06 S65 because those can be had in the mid $40s with some luck and generally are better optioned than S55 from what I have seen.
maw1124 (02-12-2024)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
Originally Posted by BVLDARI
I agree with Fraser. Options are a very individual thing and are worth more or less to different people. My car has all but one options so to ME it was worth more than a bare bones one (which I have seen) and because there were options that I “had” to have, a car that didn’t have those options was worth far less to me than one that did. So in essence, I think I subtracted more for not having options than I added if it did. At the end of the day, think of how you will be using the car and what is important to you. Then figure out if there are any “must haves” and go from there. Lastly, if you are looking at spending $40k on 03-05 S55, I would suggest you start looking at 06 S65 because those can be had in the mid $40s with some luck and generally are better optioned than S55 from what I have seen.
Totally agree. If I had the money to buy new I would definitely tailor it to my liking. Unfortunately I am an average person trying to enjoy the finer things in life. However, I still am struggling to accept NOT having those options. If the vehicles were valued at the 40k price than I really wouldn't be complaining much. But, the book value of these vehicles are actually 25-35k per MY vehicle. (obviously the 05 has the higher price tag). I really don't want to spend more than 30k for my purchase. I just have to hold out and hopefully find someone that has the same taste as myself but just wants to upgrade to a newer year vehicle.

Thank you for the input!!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by BVLDARI
Options are a very individual thing and are worth more or less to different people. My car has all but one options so to ME it was worth more than a bare bones one (which I have seen) and because there were options that I “had” to have, a car that didn’t have those options was worth far less to me than one that did. So in essence, I think I subtracted more for not having options than I added if it did. At the end of the day, think of how you will be using the car and what is important to you. Then figure out if there are any “must haves” and go from there.
Same here. When I was initially on the lookout for W220 I was going for a S500.. My father had a 500 and it was extremely well kitted out; long wheelbase, parktronic, rear climate control, all four seats heated and cooled, AMG package, linguatronic, rear 'picnic' tables, COMAND, Bose speaker system...the early UK cars were very light compared to the US equivalents and this was about $25k worth of extras! Naturally I was looking for one with similar specs when getting my own and it made sense just to go straight to a 600 where most of the kit came as standard.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:43 PM

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
2003 S55 AMG, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Unearthing this old thread!

Before I get flamed, yes I know this is an ancient thread. However I am curious how many W220's are still in existence with the 4 seater package? Being that this thread is 14 years old now kind of makes me wonder. I've looked at a lot of these cars and it seems like an obscure option. I'm assuming it may have been more prevalent in the S600? My car has them, but when I bought it I didn't really have any opinion about them.

Old 02-12-2024, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 282 Likes on 228 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Post 11 captured most of it, as far as options and prices. I’ve never seen a production breakdown. My car came with Option 402 (Comfort Rear Seats) and Option 582 (Rear A/C).

I used to have 5 people in the car all the time before the kids went off to college. So I converted the rear seat to be 4-seater by installing a cubby hole (like my 500E), since I found it with the Chestnut wood. AND the rear ashtray covers, which I’m pretty sure were 65 only options. That center cubby is common to 220 and 215 cars, so it’s an easy switch (and reversible). The seats and rear A/C, not so much.

I think these packages changed over time, such that the rear memory option was for earlier cars. Mine is one of the last manufactured and I’ve never seen that on an ‘06, whether 55 or 65. Mine also came with Option 785 (19” AMG Forged Wheels), and IIRC there was some interplay between these options such that you had to have the wheels to get the others, or the rear A/C to get the others, or something like that.

maw
Attached Thumbnails Rear seat option add on?-img_3085.jpeg  

Last edited by maw1124; 02-12-2024 at 12:14 PM.
S_Holford (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by maw1124
Post 11 captured most of it, as far as options and prices. I’ve never seen a production breakdown. My car came with Option 402 (Comfort Rear Seats) and Option 582 (Rear A/C).

I used to have 5 people in the car all the time before the kids went off to college. So I converted the rear seat to be 4-seater by installing a cubby hole (like my 500E), since I found it with the Chestnut wood. AND the rear ashtray covers, which I’m pretty sure were 65 only options. That center cubby is common to 220 and 215 cars, so it’s an easy switch (and reversible). The seats and rear A/C, not so much.

I think these packages changed over time, such that the rear memory option was for earlier cars. Mine is one of the last manufactured and I’ve never seen that on an ‘06, whether 55 or 65. Mine also came with Option 785 (19” AMG Forged Wheels), and IIRC there was some interplay between these options such that you had to have the wheels to get the others, or the rear A/C to get the others, or something like that.

maw
I didn't know the rear a/c wasn't standard either. Are there any other not-so-common options on these?
Old 02-13-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2007 Jaguar XJ8L, 1999 Miata, 2003 Yamaha FJR1300
To clarify, they all have rear A/C, but the "base" version of this is just vents at the back, no controls. The "good stuff" version has independant temperature controls for each back seat passenger (well, not center) and an independent blower that the rear passengers share. You end up with all four seats having independent temperature controls.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wfooshee
To clarify, they all have rear A/C, but the "base" version of this is just vents at the back, no controls. The "good stuff" version has independant temperature controls for each back seat passenger (well, not center) and an independent blower that the rear passengers share. You end up with all four seats having independent temperature controls.
The "good stuff" is the Rear A/C, with the separate blower housed under the front center arm rest. The vents on the back of the front seats is just front seat ventilation, which I think all of them have.

To answer the other question, the only "rare" options on my radar for these are the above rear seating / 4 seater options, 19" forged 2-piece wheels and Designo colors.

But these cars predated the "packaging" of options (P1, P2, etc.), and you can see why they went to that system. These were all over the place, almost bespoke from a menu. I've posted that menu here before somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out when I'm back at a computer.

maw

EDIT... This is what I have on options ... shame how the internet changes over time... glad I saved this ... but notice it's not complete... I have options that aren't priced here... example, how much are the 19" 2-piece forged wheels?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB S55 -- Options Pricing.pdf (687.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by maw1124; 02-14-2024 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Options Menu Attached
Old 02-13-2024, 06:11 PM

If memory serves (and it might no...) the center console has vents from the main A/C system of it's not the actual rear A/C with its own rear climate control. It's just another set of vents from the dashboard system, but it's better than having no rear vents at all, like most cars.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:21 PM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Rear AC option

I believe the rear AC option has a dedicated evap coil under the center console so that air can flow through it via dedicated blower for the rear passengers, as mentioned. It comes with above-mentioned temp controller.

The standard HVAC is simply some air from the front coil that is channeled to the rear under the center console, and also through some vents up high on the B-pillars facing the rear passengers.

My standard rear seats have the seat heaters.

i can’t remember if the rear windshield sun screen was standard or not. I have that too.
maw1124 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If memory serves (and it might no...) the center console has vents from the main A/C system of it's not the actual rear A/C with its own rear climate control. It's just another set of vents from the dashboard system, but it's better than having no rear vents at all, like most cars.
Oh those... yes correct.

That's not Rear A/C.

I'm thinking the rear deck sunscreen was standard on these, and certainly not "rare" even if not standard.

maw
Old 02-14-2024, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by GrepAwk
I believe the rear AC option has a dedicated evap coil under the center console so that air can flow through it via dedicated blower for the rear passengers, as mentioned. It comes with above-mentioned temp controller.

The standard HVAC is simply some air from the front coil that is channeled to the rear under the center console, and also through some vents up high on the B-pillars facing the rear passengers.

My standard rear seats have the seat heaters.

I can’t remember if the rear windshield sun screen was standard or not. I have that too.
Yep. My long-dead S55 had the rear A/C. It had both refrigerant and engine coolant running to a heat exchanger at the back of the console for the rear-dedicated climate control. The right side of mine was stuck on max heat and I never got it fixed (just one of the many things on a "project" car that turned out to be not very well taken care of by its previous owner.) I had that vent shut all the time. The left side worked fine.

I also had the good rear seats, with the power bottom cushion, lumbar, and heating and cooling in the seat. I do miss the car, but I bit off more than I could chew with it, as it needed so much more than I thought it did initially, so being destroyed in the flooding from Hurricane Sandy actually bailed me out! (I do miss that supercharger, though! My '07 Jaguar XJ8L is no skimp when it comes to being comfy, but 300HP is not 493!!!!)
Old 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM

a "project" car that turned out to be not very well taken care of by its previous owner.)
My current dilemma! I’ve worked out most of the major stuff, now it’s the small gremlins such as the intermittent distronic, in-op keyless go, and new tpms sensors.