S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Supercharger Bypass questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65 AMG
Supercharger Bypass questions

So I have noticed now that when I take my 2003 S55 amg on some spirited driving after maybe 1 to 2 runs of floored horepower that what i would guess is happening is the supercharger is bypassing becuase of heat. the RPM's still continue to go up but it is a huge difference in power. its like its not there. and also the supercharger whine is gone. It didn't seem to do this as much in the past but it is progressively more. Has anyone else on here had this same issue? Ive looked at the Compressor cooling packages that some firms are offering (evosport, Kleeman) and am wondering if thats a remedy to this. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 AMG GT-R PRO
I believe the biggest issue here should be your IC Pump failing.

Get a Jonson CM30 Pump and you'll be flying in no time!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Shango is potentially correct. However, even with a replaced/upgraded pump, you could still experience the same problem.

The stock system is just not of great enough capacity to handle the supercharger and the motor once heat soak starts to set in. In any of the kits that are like ours (of course I am partial to ours) that separate these systems, you will see far more consistent performance in warm/hot weather.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!

thanks
Brad
Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
Shango is potentially correct. However, even with a replaced/upgraded pump, you could still experience the same problem.

The stock system is just not of great enough capacity to handle the supercharger and the motor once heat soak starts to set in. In any of the kits that are like ours (of course I am partial to ours) that separate these systems, you will see far more consistent performance in warm/hot weather.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!

thanks
Brad
3 part question...Brad when you split the two systems are you running a secondary heat exchanger just for the intercooler? If so how big is the secondary HE? and last would you have to run two IC pumps as well?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
3 part question...Brad when you split the two systems are you running a secondary heat exchanger just for the intercooler? If so how big is the secondary HE? and last would you have to run two IC pumps as well?
No problem.

1. Yes, we include a secondary front mounted cooler core (air to water).

2. See the images here: (HERE IS THE LINK TO THE INFO)

3. No, we run one additional pump. The stock water pump is utilized for the engine and our pump is used for the S/C cooling.

thanks
Brad
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
that kit does not seem to fit to w220 s-class..

either way, stock s55 already have secondary front mounted cooler. No need

replace the pump and you're good to go..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
2003 S55 (SOLD) , 2012 S550
Viet is right...that pic shows an e class. I had a similar problem with my stock ic pump and after much research i actually did not buy the johnson pump but the bosch hd one...my average temps right now are around 95 with 135 after 3 runs (in florida weather) and that pump is a drop in fit. The part number is 0392022010. Its easy to find out if you need a new pump...get a decent scanner and drive around with live data showing and youll know. I bought this one a few years ago and its great for the money. Good luck.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UPDAT...motiveQ5fTools

BTW i ordered my pump from http://www.carpartsdiscount.com for $150 shipped

Last edited by PillDrive; 05-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM

S65 AMG
So then I have 2 questions. Are the cooling lines on our cars allready split between the two exchangers? If not can someone on here give me a rundown of what it takes to split them? ( I appologize if my understanding of the cooling system on this car is crude I just don't have service manuals on my car to see it myself) And is anouther remote reservoir required to split them? Once again thanks for everyones time.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM

The system is interconnected (kind of like a figure 8 , one side for the engine , the other for the ic) and both have their own pumps BUT if the ic pump fails that circuit barely flows any coolant.
If you want to seperate them you need to close either circuit by removing the interconnect and YES, you need a second reservoir at that point. But i dont see any reason for that unless you are going to modify the engine. I am about to pull the trigger on a eurocharged pulley and tune and i will see how my temps are after that, but i dont think that i have to upgrade my cooling system at all.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM

S65 AMG
That all makes sense. I too am looking at doing a pulley and ecm flash and am not wanting the problem i allready have to get worse. I was reading that with the E55's that some of the guys that split cooling in their cars end up loosing their heater when they do it. I definately don't want that. whats the Eurotune pulley and ecm tune like? how does it compare to the Evotech and The Kleemann stage 1?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM

The E55 does not have a second HE for the IC...the S55 DOES..so the cooling system in the S55 is better than the E55. I would verify the temps...and then replace the pump with a Johnson CM30 or the bosch i mentioned or if you REALLY want good cooling and dont mind working a little for it get the meziere WP136S. After that do the pulley and tune and see what happens...im all for good upgrades but i dont like wasting money of i dont have to.
I have heard a lot of good things about eurocharged , thats why i decided to go that route...and compared to kleeman and renntech they are a bit more economical.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
I totally agree with what PillDrive said, do what you need in the meantime because if you're not going into the modding scene there is no reason why you should cough up so much $$ for an easy and more economical alternative.

One more thing for PillDrive, don't worry about the IATs if all you're doing is a pulley, the stock HeatExchanger in conjunction with a CM30 was more than sufficient for me before I went all out and got the TopMounts made for my car!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM

S65 AMG
To be honnest every other car I have is hevily modified. But I have an extended warranty on this car so I have pretty much left it alone. Does anyone know what the inlet and outlet size of the factory hoses are? just looking at the mezier pump it doesn't look like a difficult swap. i would just have to know what fittings to get and maybe make a small tube at 90 degrees to match the factory pump. If I have to do a high current relay thats easy too. eventually I will start to get more hard core with this car.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 AMG GT-R PRO
In the meantime I would suggest get a small reservoir and just use the CM30. Unless you're going for a rear trunk ice tank of sorts you won't really need to go as big as a Mezier.

I say this because I have Top Mount intercoolers and I use a Junior Dragster Radiator (Air to Water) to cool the coolant. I'm actually using the CM30 to move all the coolant through everything, and it is more than enough already. You don't need to go with such a high flow pump as it doesn't exactly benefit you "more", you know what I mean?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
hey you need this part # 10-24504-03 cm30 johnson..

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/jabsco.html

this where i bought my pump.. $145 shipped..no tax.. best price