S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

220 S65..why do they lack options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
220 S65..why do they lack options?

I swear 95% of the 220 S65s I see don't have keyless go, distronic, parktronic, or many of the other goodies like the reclining rear seats, dynamic seats (which are overrated but still).

You'd think at that price point owners would just check all the boxes.

any ideas?

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 65, but I'm not willing to give up all the nice options my 500 has.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
dude, you complaining again?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Not sure about the S65's but all S55 cars from 2003 on had dynamic seats and most have keyless go..probably 20% have the reclining rears. As far as distriniic ank Parktrinic, they are not really "Drivers" options like the most of the AMG buyers would want (including me). I can t imagine that the S65 cars would have fewer options than the S55. As for the S600 they all have dynamic and reclining rears as standard for 2005 and 2006.
Keep looking, you'll find the one you want...it is out there...I looked for at least six months and found a car with more than I was looking for, at the right price.
Mike
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I swear 95% of the 220 S65s I see don't have keyless go, distronic, parktronic, or many of the other goodies like the reclining rear seats, dynamic seats (which are overrated but still).

any ideas?

I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 65, but I'm not willing to give up all the nice options my 500 has.
stomp on the gas. You'll forget about all of your 500's "options". If you don't get that, you are in the wrong section.

By the way, most s65's I looked at had keyless go, xenons, parktronic. A few had distronic. Mine has the reclining rears and wish it didn't...more weight, less space for passengers. Makes the car slower and less practical.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500

any ideas?

I thought you said the S65 is stupid? lol
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Nah, he's just denying the fact he's always dreaming of one after watching Oxygen's awesome videos
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
As far as distriniic ank Parktrinic, they are not really "Drivers" options like the most of the AMG buyers would want (including me). I can t imagine that the S65 cars would have fewer options than the S55.
Mike
Mike, I wouldn't mind a 600, but they are soo hard to find with sports package which is a must have for me. I also need parktronic. Maybe I'm getting old, but 203" of S-class in NYC ain't that easy without it. Love distronic as well.

Originally Posted by Zax63
stomp on the gas. You'll forget about all of your 500's "options". If you don't get that, you are in the wrong section.

By the way, most s65's I looked at had keyless go, xenons, parktronic. A few had distronic. Mine has the reclining rears and wish it didn't...more weight, less space for passengers. Makes the car slower and less practical.
Yes, I get that the S65 is quick, but that doesn't change the fact that I won't be using that speed very often...so the options matter.

They all have xenons. All the ones I seem to see don't have keyless go or parktronic, which are my too "deal breakers".

More weight and less space? I'm not sure 100lbs in a 4700lb car is that noticeable and if you ask me the car is not lacking for passenger space.

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Yeah, I mean I think its a bit pointless, but I like speed as much as the next guy. Still love my 500 after three years, but more power with the same options is good.

Originally Posted by CarboyS
Nah, he's just denying the fact he's always dreaming of one after watching Oxygen's awesome videos
I don't dream of mercedes. Thats reserved for F40s and vintage vehicles.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
The #1 factor for the S65 is the speed and fun factor, it's just an amazing vehicle - such a heavy car that can run with much lighter sports cars.

But obviously, I think anyone with a more larger S class can appreciate the comfort and room. If you occasionally take passengers, you'll get compliments on the space in the back and comfort like you would not get even with an E class.

Oliver, you are doing the right thing - find one with the options. Or else I will guarantee you that you will lament a missing option or two always in the back of your mind. (I for example am sad my S55 doesn't have the tire pressuring monitoring system, and Satellite radio)

The speed is amazing, yes. The Torque makes it a lot of fun to push around on side streets or on the highway. But sometimes you just drive it normally, in fact a lot of the time in most cases - so those options are nice.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
yup.

quite frankly I'd prefer a 600 if it had the sport package.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Oh, and for parktronic: My car has parktronic, but lately one of my sensors was out. I really do miss it. And I even have a little nick on my back bumper now because of it. I was in Manhattan all week, and parktronic is a great in such environments.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
I can't believe no ones mentioned it yet, but the most important option you'll need is a warranty. And, that'll be harder to find on a 220 than anything listed above. I can't tell you how many i/c pumps I replaced under warranty on my 220 S65...along with 1k other misc items...abc pump, struts, various sensors, coil packs, etc. Be prepared to spend as much on repairs as you do on the car if you don't have a warranty.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Mike, I wouldn't mind a 600, but they are soo hard to find with sports package which is a must have for me. I also need parktronic. Maybe I'm getting old, but 203" of S-class in NYC ain't that easy without it. Love distronic as well.

Yes, I get that the S65 is quick, but that doesn't change the fact that I won't be using that speed very often...so the options matter.

They all have xenons. All the ones I seem to see don't have keyless go or parktronic, which are my too "deal breakers".

More weight and less space? I'm not sure 100lbs in a 4700lb car is that noticeable and if you ask me the car is not lacking for passenger space.

Yeah, I mean I think its a bit pointless, but I like speed as much as the next guy. Still love my 500 after three years, but more power with the same options is good.

I don't dream of mercedes. Thats reserved for F40s and vintage vehicles.
100 lbs matters on a dragstrip, but I bet its more like 150, with the assorted pumps and electronics and mechanisms. Oh, and I suspect it makes the trunk smaller, because mine is freakin tiny. And the middle seat missing is a huge inconvenience if you have a family of 4 and want to pick up the wayward aunt or brother or friend. Or if you want to take 4 coworkers out to lunch. Unless one of them doesn't mind sitting on anothers lap.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Originally Posted by Zax63

I was going to say, who needs Distronics when I'm passing everyone anyways.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
When I was looking at new 2006 S65's at dealers priior to purchasing mine I was surprised by the lack of options on mny of the cars. These were all dealer inventory, not custom orders. Two out of ten lacked keyless go, half did not have parktronic, only one (of ten) had distronic, one had heated and ventiated rear seats, about half had Sirius, the telephone setup and the handsfree option. None had the fourplace seating option. All W220 S65"s have the reclining rear seats, automatic headrests and rear A/C. I suppose there may have been a delete option for a custom order.
I have been driven mine over 40,000 miles and grin as much today as the first day. I am asked if I want to sell it and I always say I am thinking about it, then I make another Friday afternoon run to San Diego and conclude it would be foolish to sell it without a new replacement!
The singe biggest improvement it could use for daily use would be a limited slip differential If the roads are damp in the morning from the marine layer it is too easy to engage the traction control. Also we have those irritating freeway on ramp red lights with two parallel lanes. The first 100 feet would be much easier with a limited slip!
This is a seriously fast car, truly impressive when passing from 65mph. I alternate commuting with my SL600 on days I want the top down. The SL is 400 pounds lighter and feels identical to 60mph, but not above that.
Regarding options I do not have parktronic or distronic on the S65. I have distronic on the SL600 and can only use it when in the carpool lane and on some lightly used toll roads. In SoCal the distronic is constantly alarming and braking as cars cut in and out of lanes. I prefer the standard cruise here. I would like to have the parktronic, my wife has it on her E63 and it is addictive. I do find the S easy to judge and can always put it within three to six inches of whatever is behind or in front. Amazingly the SL is much harder to judge even though it is shorter.I am glad I do not have the four place seating option since I have frequently needed all five seats. The phone, handsfree and sattelite radio are easy adds if not on the car; keyless go is not and personally I would pass on a car without it. Since riding in the back would mean not driving I do not care about heated and ventilated rear seats!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Same issue I ran into... I looked at about four S65's before I picked up mine. I found that most of them had NO keylessgo, no parktronic and none had distronic.

Mine has KG, Parktronic and that's about it... oh and a whole lot of torques!