S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S65 power loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
pas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
S65 power loss

I think my intercooler pump may be on its way out, car runs great most of the time but on long trips after about 1.5 hrs it loses power and the computer is obviously bypassing the turbos. Only happens on long trips below 1 hr no issues. '07 S65. any thoughts?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
pas

Dealer says it is being caused by the gas that has ethanol in it, I am not convinced.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
replace the ic pump first..see that solve it
Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM
pas

car is under warranty dealer says thats not the problem, how do I prove otherwise?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
any chance you put bad gas in it......you can't really prove anything...just go to another dealer..
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by pas
Dealer says it is being caused by the gas that has ethanol in it, I am not convinced.
Dealer maybe correct.

Gas is lousy right now use some Techron and only top grade 93 gas. Have had similar problems on long trips recently in meticulously serviced CL55 and regular use of Techron has fixed the problem.

This is an easy possible fix rather than tying the car up and hassling to get warranty repairs.

Try it first and let us know!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
pas

now on my third tank of fuel with this issue this wast one was from chevron but problem still occurred. Who knows maybe there is some summer blend that doesn't work well with the car.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Supra
My thoughts...the pump *could* still be good. On long trips, traffic, etc...once that fluid gets hot - doesn't seem to matter how fast you move it around - it's just seems very hard to cool it down.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by pas
now on my third tank of fuel with this issue this wast one was from chevron but problem still occurred. Who knows maybe there is some summer blend that doesn't work well with the car.
B.S. It's not rocket science- there's something wrong with your car. You're the one that drives it everyday, you should know. It's not bad gas, or ethanol, or anything to do with hot summer weather. I live in Houston where it's been 105 degrees, I sit in traffic, etc and my car doesn't feel like somethings wrong with it. The I/C pump is a good place to start but it could be many things. I'd definitely use a different dealer. But, don't let them convince you that it's "ethanol in the gas".....I've used that gas a million times as well.....no issues.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM
pas

I agree that the "bad gas" answer is a load of crap, I have been through 3 tanks from different stations and brands with the same issue, unfortunately i would probably have to go north of palm beach to find a competent dealer. I am going to try MB of Miami and see what luck I have there.

It did it again the other day, i pulled over started and stopped the engine 4 times and it was back to normal. It also has only happened on the highway moving along at regular speeds.

The dealer showed me the codes from the computer all it showed was multiple misfires on all of the cylinders, is there some way for me to capture that information where it shows the time and speed of the car?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Supra
Originally Posted by pas
I agree that the "bad gas" answer is a load of crap, I have been through 3 tanks from different stations and brands with the same issue, unfortunately i would probably have to go north of palm beach to find a competent dealer. I am going to try MB of Miami and see what luck I have there.

It did it again the other day, i pulled over started and stopped the engine 4 times and it was back to normal. It also has only happened on the highway moving along at regular speeds.

The dealer showed me the codes from the computer all it showed was multiple misfires on all of the cylinders, is there some way for me to capture that information where it shows the time and speed of the car?

You have codes for multiple misfires...ummm...coil pack(s) issue?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM
pas

all 12 can't be going bad at the same time maybe its some other ignition component. besides I just stop and start it a few times and its fine.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I agree with Busa and Philly.......But why continue with a dealer/SA that gives you such a passive, garbage answer about ethanol in the gas causing issues?
I would just drive into another dealer and generally explain your problems.
Let them run diag and see what they turn up.
I bet it suprises you, as it did for me, what changing MB service centers, can do for solving your problems.
I have noticed big differences on the way differennt MB techs approach problems.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by pas

I didn't realize they showed you the codes that indicated multiple misfires.....and that you say turning off/on the ignition fixes it. That's a coil pack problem withoubt a doubt......and will give the exact result that you're describing. I just bought my '07 S65 in Missouri and drove it 600miles to Texas.....same thing happened to me in Durant Ok. on the way home. A loss of power, check engine light came on, etc.

I plugged my Scantron into the car and found that the drivers side coil pack (cylinders 7-12) was misfiring. I turned off/on the car and cleared the code and it was fine the rest of the way home. After getting it home and having my tech look at it for me he said that it likely happened for 2 reasons.....the car had only been driven about 900 miles since December, and hadn't been driven at all the past month. These cars hate to "sit." The second reason was that the software in the car had never been updated to the latest MB version. Once he did that and I got 1-2 tanks of gas through her, she's been fine. But, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the coil pack went completely bad soon.....I had to replace 2 of them in my 220 65, maybe even 3??.....so it's not uncommon.

Go to Autozone and pick up a Scantron......it'll tell you every single code your car is throwing and give you all kinds of info......IAT's, Boost, fuel pressure, timing, etc.......not that I use mine all the time, but they are handy when you're trying to diagnose an issue.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by Busa196
Go to Autozone and pick up a Scantron
Do you have a link to the Scantron?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
pas

is this what you are talking about? Actron 9185?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
pas

[/URL]http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-OBD-II-Elite-Autoscanner-tool-for-1996-and-newer-vehicles-trilingual-Can-be-upgraded-to-1984-1995-OBD-I-with-purchase-of-additional-cables/_/N-25iq?counter=2&filterByKeyWord=actron&fromString=s earch&itemIdentifier=938528_0_0_&sortType=high[/URL]
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
pas

I can't get the link to post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
pas

Originally Posted by Busa196
I didn't realize they showed you the codes that indicated multiple misfires.....and that you say turning off/on the ignition fixes it. That's a coil pack problem withoubt a doubt......and will give the exact result that you're describing. I just bought my '07 S65 in Missouri and drove it 600miles to Texas.....same thing happened to me in Durant Ok. on the way home. A loss of power, check engine light came on, etc.

I plugged my Scantron into the car and found that the drivers side coil pack (cylinders 7-12) was misfiring. I turned off/on the car and cleared the code and it was fine the rest of the way home. After getting it home and having my tech look at it for me he said that it likely happened for 2 reasons.....the car had only been driven about 900 miles since December, and hadn't been driven at all the past month. These cars hate to "sit." The second reason was that the software in the car had never been updated to the latest MB version. Once he did that and I got 1-2 tanks of gas through her, she's been fine. But, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the coil pack went completely bad soon.....I had to replace 2 of them in my 220 65, maybe even 3??.....so it's not uncommon.

Go to Autozone and pick up a Scantron......it'll tell you every single code your car is throwing and give you all kinds of info......IAT's, Boost, fuel pressure, timing, etc.......not that I use mine all the time, but they are handy when you're trying to diagnose an issue.
Thanks for the info, I am going to get the scan tool so when i take it to the dealer I can point them in the right direction. When you say they don't like to sit, how long are you talking about? I use mine once maybe twice during the week and on the weekends, its not my daily driver. Regarding the coil packs there is one per bank of cylinders? The codes they showed me for misfires were multiple misfires on all 12 cylinders, some of them 2 or 3 times but most 8 or more in 500-600 miles of driving. I will say that it has only happened when the car has been driven more than 1 hour, which includes driving 30 minutes stopping for 1 hour and driving 30 minutes. It has not happened yet on short trips less than 30 min. I am going to keep a log to try and narrow down the cause.

Also when you say your check engine light came on, do you mean the actually light that spells out "check engine" in red or the icon of an engine that lights up in orange? mine is the icon