S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

03'-up S55 ride quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Is it just me or this went off topic completely?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 PM

2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Originally Posted by malahhaor
Is it just me or this went off topic completely?
You are right, it has gone to pot...Bottom line is the S55 has a great ride, harsh for some, not sporty enough for some. At least it is adjustable.
Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
I consider every car that AMG touches to be a sports car, of course it is my opinion and I dont see anyone changing that. I can live with it. I can have my insurance man agree with that on practically any MB vehicle...they are all classified as "sports" cars so they can get that igher premium, right?
Mike
Which insurance company do you use? I'd definitely challenge that excuse for a higher premium. My non-AMG Mercedes sedan had the same premium and classification as my AMG Mercedes sedan. The premiums are based on repair costs, accident and injury statistics, and theft statistics. And then there's the list that applies to all cars: geographic area (risk assessments will vary in different geographic regions), age of driver(s), driving record and claim record, multi-car and multi-policy discounts, safety device and anti-theft discounts (any modern Mercedes can get points there, AMG or not.)

If you're paying a higher premium only because your car is labeled as a sports car, I'd complain immediately and/or dump the agent and the company.

An SL , SLK, SLR, or SLS is a different story and can be classified as a "sports car." But you still should NOT be charged higher premiums unless the SL, SLK, SLR, and SLS have a higher incidence of injury and accidents, and/or higher theft and repair costs. Ask any insurance company actuary. Premiums are based on risk assessment. Risk assessment is what actuarial science is all about.

btw, just for the record here is Daimler's classification of the cars they build:

1) sedans and coupes

2) SUVs and crossovers

3) roadsters and supercars
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Originally Posted by 220S
Which insurance company do you use? I'd definitely challenge that excuse for a higher premium. My non-AMG Mercedes sedan had the same premium and classification as my AMG Mercedes sedan. The premiums are based on repair costs, accident and injury statistics, and theft statistics. And then there's the list that applies to all cars: geographic area (risk assessments will vary in different geographic regions), age of driver(s), driving record and claim record, multi-car and multi-policy discounts, safety device and anti-theft discounts (any modern Mercedes can get points there, AMG or not.)

If you're paying a higher premium only because your car is labeled as a sports car, I'd complain immediately and/or dump the agent and the company.

An SL , SLK, SLR, or SLS is a different story and can be classified as a "sports car." But you still should NOT be charged higher premiums unless the SL, SLK, SLR, and SLS have a higher incidence of injury and accidents, and/or higher theft and repair costs. Ask any insurance company actuary. Premiums are based on risk assessment. Risk assessment is what actuarial science is all about.

btw, just for the record here is Daimler's classification of the cars they build:

1) sedans and coupes

2) SUVs and crossovers

3) roadsters and supercars
I'm going on personal experience...my father had a 240D back in the 70's and my mother was s State Farm rep. As a matter if classification, EVERY Mercedes Benz was classified by state farm as a high performance car, yes, including that 80HP 240D. That is why I remember it, is was quite rediculous. Do you consider your E63 as just another sedan? You guys are wasting your time trying to convince me that my S55 is just another sedan...I'm not budging.
Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
02Drunenup:

S55 is a firm ride. ABC keeps it nice and level on curves, but it's not a harsh ride.

S430 or S500 with Airmatic are more cushey, maybe floaty. But a nice ride bc it's still a MB.

The other thing you will notice is the exhaust note of the S55AMG is louder and always "there" while you drive. But aren't we forgetting that the S55 has 490+ horsepower versus the 300ish S500 or 275ish S430?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
You are right, it has gone to pot...Bottom line is the S55 has a great ride, harsh for some, not sporty enough for some. At least it is adjustable.
Mike
what he said. At least on the 65. Which I assume is just like the 55, but a bit more nose heavy.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG W-220
I have owned an S 55 AMG for the last 6 months. And have had MANY Mercedes beforehand. However, this is my first AMG, but have had experience with 500 horse power cars. I F&:;@" love it!! I get it sideways a couple times a day ( easy to do with 500 hundred horses) and everytime I want to have fun I turn of traction control slip it into sport and BAM!!!! Drives like a bat ou if he'll. I Hammmer it!!!! All day , no problems. It has 90 k on it. Car is not 4800 pounds. It's 4400, and it screams. The sport stiffens the suspension and and compensates for body roll. I would not suggest using I in full manaul aka padal shifters. Paddle shifters are tiptronic not sequential so it lags to long. Your better of in sport. PlY around with it. Whe. I'm lazy or on fredwY I turn it on Economy, starts of in 2 nd gear Ns shifts at lower rpms. It also, downshifts less aggressively. Beet it up, you'll get the feel for t