S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Is the suspension on this S55 on its way out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Is the suspension on this S55 on its way out?

Hello all

This is a car i was interested in buying and when i saw the photos it looked quite nice. I went past the dealers selling it today and it was sat like this:-

Front left corner all the way up, rear right corner all the way down.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM

S55K AMG
I must add that i didnt actually have a proper look at the car, i only saw it from the outside for a couple of minutes and was kinda put off by this.

Or is it just me and this is normal? Im pretty sure the car hasnt been started and driven for a week or two.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Abnormal

Dear UK cousin,

This is not acceptable. Please give us more details about the car. A considered answer needs more info and a back and forth.

Look under the car and see if there are any fluid leaks. I am assuming it uses ABC and if so this clearly implies diagnosis, so called rodeo test, and repair before purchase. I would require an extended warranty be part of the deal after you make your best deal.

Search on ABC on this forum and you'll get a huge amount of info.

Note that the wheel bolts are corroded.

Happy to report that we'll be over your way for 2 weeks after Boxing Day.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Originally Posted by w4sim
I must add that i didnt actually have a proper look at the car, i only saw it from the outside for a couple of minutes and was kinda put off by this.

Or is it just me and this is normal? Im pretty sure the car hasnt been started and driven for a week or two.
What mileage has this S55K done?

This seems normal, she's probably just stood for a week?

You have to start her up, wait for about 4/5 minutes, do not press any of the "ABC" buttons, the ABC self corrects itself. You get a message lit up in RED in the cluster "ABC Visit Workshop" that all self cancels.

Make sure there is the correct amount of "ABC" fluid in the resivoir, only use MB specified "ABC" fluid.

My S55K rarely gets used if ever, but she just lowers herself equally all-round.

The S55K you looking at probably sits on an un-even surface, or if not, either the entire left or right side just decides to lower itself on both the front and rear wheels of whichever side, in your case and judging from the images sent, it's the driver's right hand side of the S55K.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
The reason the car has lowered is that there is an internal leak in the ABC valve block. This sometimes can be fixed by the rodeo method and a new ABC filter. If not it will need a new valve block. I think the front is sitting high just because the rear is sitting low but I am not 100% on that.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 PM

2003 S55 AMG W-220
Your Potential Car

It's simple, you take it to Mercedes suck up the 150 bucks and have it checked out! I have one. A 2003 with 90k on it. All these people that responded are correct. If the car is left alone it will drop, it is on ABC. And when you fire it up the Red warning light will come on but will go away. In my opinion, run!!!! It should not sit sideways like that!!! 1,200 bucks a SHOCK to replace. Like i said, have it checked out. Mileage ?:?

It's %$## fun to drive though Bro!!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 AM

S55K AMG
My apologies, i should have provided more details, though i thought this might just be a generic thing thats easy to figure out from the pics.

Ok, the car is late 2002 Kompressor model with 78k on the clock (which i know is coming up to the dreaded 80k mark where something on these usually fails suspension wise)

Its sat on even ground, the reason the front left has gone up is because the rear right has maxed out to the bottom. Kinda the same effect if you removed that wheel from the car, the diagonal side will go up! The other 2 wheels seemed at about the normal height.

The reason i asked if the suspension might be on its way out is i also thought that it might have gone down after 2 weeks of not being started, but should it not have gone down equally? If its only down on ONE shocker then surely theres a leak there, right???

Couldnt really have a look around underneath, as you can see from the pictures its wet around the car, im pretty sure it had just been washed (though not moved from there).

Last edited by w4sim; 09-30-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:50 AM

2003 S55 AMG W-220
Your wrong, they only made a super charger 2003 and up! Unless its fake.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by brennanhill2003
Usually MB introduces a new model a year earlier in Europe than here in the US. Not sure if this is the case but I think it is.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM

My apologies, i should have provided more details, though i thought this might just be a generic thing thats easy to figure out from the pics.

Ok, the car is late 2002 Kompressor model with 78k on the clock (which i know is coming up to the dreaded 80k mark where something on these usually fails suspension wise)

Its sat on even ground, the reason the front left has gone up is because the rear right has maxed out to the bottom. Kinda the same effect if you removed that wheel from the car, the diagonal side will go up! The other 2 wheels seemed at about the normal height.

The reason i asked if the suspension might be on its way out is i also thought that it might have gone down after 2 weeks of not being started, but should it not have gone down equally? If its only down on ONE shocker then surely theres a leak there, right???

Couldnt really have a look around underneath, as you can see from the pictures its wet around the car, im pretty sure it had just been washed (though not moved from there).

So if the valve block has a leak which causes this lowering it is an INTERNAL leak. So you will not see any fluid. It is causes by a tiny particle of dirt that is not allowing the valve for that particular wheel to not hold tight. I know all of this because I have personally replaced my ABC pump and both valve blocks on my car. It sucked!!! I then proceeded to take apart one of the old valve blocks and found the internal dirt problem. You would be surprised what a little amount of dirt can do to these cars. My problem all started when I had a leaking ABC shock and the ABC pump fluid level got low and ingested air which killed the seals in my pump almost instantly. Then as you can imagine the rubber like seal let pieces go and got stuck in my valve blocks. VERY expensive lesson learned!!! Hope this helps, good luck.
Johan
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by brennanhill2003
Actually, your wrong, for the reason below.

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Usually MB introduces a new model a year earlier in Europe than here in the US. Not sure if this is the case but I think it is.
The Kompressor models here are commonly known to be from 2003 to 2005, but the truth is they were available here from October 2002. This one is definitely a 2002 model, one of the first few made.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
So if the valve block has a leak which causes this lowering it is an INTERNAL leak. So you will not see any fluid. It is causes by a tiny particle of dirt that is not allowing the valve for that particular wheel to not hold tight.

My problem all started when I had a leaking ABC shock and the ABC pump fluid level got low and ingested air which killed the seals in my pump almost instantly. Then as you can imagine the rubber like seal let pieces go and got stuck in my valve blocks. VERY expensive lesson learned!!
So if this is an internal leak, just on that one shocker, then does that mean i can get away with replacing just that or will it have caused damage further up aswell?

And can the valve be changed separately or is it part of the strut?

Below are the pictures from the original advert from about 2 weeks ago. Looking at it carefully now you can see this rear right hand corner is not as high as the other 3.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:33 AM

S55K AMG
This is from the original advert:-

Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
I know how these S55K's look generally from a side glance with 3 different ABC settings,
1)High<Both Leds On>
2)Medium<One Led On>
3)Low(ABC Sport)

This car does not look healthy at all.

I would stay very far away from this, unless you getting a full aftermarket maintenance plan, that covers EVERYTHING.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by Sher Judge

. . . . unless you getting a full aftermarket maintenance plan, that covers EVERYTHING.
Im pretty sure i wont get that from these lot, more likely a sold as seen car.

Im also pretty sure someone part-exchanged this for one of their other cars, and theres a good chance he did it due to the suspension problem he knew was imminent. just a thought.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 AM

So if this is an internal leak, just on that one shocker, then does that mean i can get away with replacing just that or will it have caused damage further up aswell?

And can the valve be changed separately or is it part of the strut?

Below are the pictures from the original advert from about 2 weeks ago. Looking at it carefully now you can see this rear right hand corner is not as high as the other 3.

Thanks.
Yes you would only need one valve block at this time. There is a valve block for the front and one for the back. The valve block is independent from the shocks so it can be replaced on its own. Each valve block has two valves and that is why only one side is sitting low because only one of the valves has a piece of dirt holding it open. BUT please remember it is possible to clean and or flush the ABC system and that piece of dirt will dislodge and get removed from the system but this is not always the case by any means. Hope this helps.
Johan
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM

S55K AMG
Thanks for all your help chaps, but i think in hindsight with the asking price and the potential problem thats looming on the horizon i think im gona give it a miss.

Hopefully another one will turn up without this dreaded problem rearing its ugly head.