S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Bought a used S63 and regretting it... CEL, Seats Broken..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63
Bought a used S63 and regretting it... CEL, Seats Broken..

I bought a S63 less then a week ago, and am really regretting it. For the life of me I can't get comfortable in the seat.

The seat adjustments don't work as there appears to be something wrong with the inflate/deflate. For example if I inflate the top-sides it seems to unevenly inflate the cushions right/left and then eventually a few mins later it deflates automatically. Similar things to the rest of the top adjustments. Bottom (side bolsters) seem to be fine.

MaxiDas picks it up as:
1. 9200 - The module carrier for the backrest is defective
2. 9220 - It is not possible to inflate an air cushion in the backrest

As if that wasn't enough the check engine light went on within 7 miles of leaving the lot.

* 0745 - Self-adaption of mixture formulation for enrichment at idle for the right cylinder bank is above the permissible limit (P2187)
* Generic OBD tools pulls it as a P0170 fuel trim (bank 1)

Then I realize that the tires they have on the car are mismatched -- and the front tires are Federal SuperSteel 585 with a 93W load rating which seems a bit low for the car?

And when I drive over a bump with the passenger rear tire anything above 35 miles per hour the car wiggles/jumps a bit. Maybe it has something to do with the rear tires being relatively worn? What confuses me is why it happens just on the passenger rear. Hard to describe.

This is my first used car experience, and I am really regretting it.

This is also my first MB and no idea of what will happen if I goto the dealership... I did buy the extended warranty but suspect if I bring it in so soon after buying it, its likely to be flagged as some sort of existing issue?

Searching through the forums I see the 0745 is not uncommon. Not seeing much on seat issues or what possible driving over a bump with the rear wheel could possible be doing.

Anyone got a good place to recommend in Chicago? Is taking it to a dealer going to flag the car vehicle history report with the issues?

-Adam
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 AM

2007 s550 4matic
S63

when you buy a super car you gotta expect these things. I think your issue with the seats is the pre set, seat memory by the last owner. You are probably hitting the buttons by mistake. As for the engine light, it sounds like you're running very low octane fuel. These cars require 95% octane (not available in US or Canada) they run fine with a minimum octane of 91%. Don't bother with octane boost as they are just a waste on money and no results.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 AM

S63
My mistake was skipping a pre-purchase inspection since the dealer would have picked up all these issues.

I assure you I'm not hitting the buttons. The adjustments are done via the Command system so there is a visual representation of what the Command system thinks the inflation level is at, which is different from the actual lumbar inflation. Having read the manual and played with the settings for hours, combined with the fault codes I'm pretty sure its not user error.

BP and Shell Premium (93 Octane I believe) so I don't think gas is the problem.

-Adam
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
Take it to the dealer and they should honor the warranty, pre existing or not. You should probably get a set of tires even though it cost you plenty, you should get all of the issues corrected quickly and chock this up to a learning experience...then you can start enoying your car sooner. 93 octane is fine and the best you can get in the US anyway.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
MB S550 now; S63, CL600, S430 previously
What year is your S63?

I'd take it to the dealer right away, I wouldn't delay.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I would take it to the dealer right away, too. Is it factory warranty? This is the reason I urge everyone to go with CPO and to buy the factory warranty which is 100% refundable before the original warranty runs out and then prorated for refund after that.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 232 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Originally Posted by mrbenzes
Take it to the dealer and they should honor the warranty, pre existing or not. You should probably get a set of tires even though it cost you plenty, you should get all of the issues corrected quickly and chock this up to a learning experience...then you can start enoying your car sooner. 93 octane is fine and the best you can get in the US anyway.
+1

Sounds like the car hasn't been well cared for. Luckily, it's an S-Class and can be rehabilitated if it wasn't abused for too long. They tend to be pretty tank like, given how much Mercedes has riding on them. But that rehab process won't be cheap. Run all the cheap fuel out (preferably on a road trip), run some fuel system cleaner through it (I recommend BG), then swap out the fuel filter and "go forth and sin no more." That should remedy the fuel issue. I did it on my 55, and it changed everything in a way only I can tell. Also have the dealer reset the engine and trans computers so the car can learn your driving style.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
You need new seat "carriers" to fix your seats. Basically they come in units with the bladders, and also the piezo valves combined. Have to totally dissassemble the seat, not so bad after you have done a few.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM

S63
Its an 08 S63 with 52k miles.

Makes sense. I put some fuel cleaner in it, and it cleared the CEL I think (its possible the OBD scanner cleared it too). It came on again after another tank of gas without any cleaner -- so will try it again to see if it helps.

The warranty is 3rd party -- GMAC. MB dealership I called seemed familiar enough with it - but don't have the paperwork yet to even know for sure what it covers. The dealer marketing material of course makes it look like they cover everything so we'll see.

Ordered some Hankook Ventus V12 on TireRack -- pricing is good. Be interesting to see how they work.

I was shocked to see the dealership offer a courtesy vehicle.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by alavelle
Its an 08 S63 with 52k miles.
Yes, quite typical for an AMG car to be dumped right before the end of the original 4-years warranty is up.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
Originally Posted by alavelle
Anyone got a good place to recommend in Chicago? Is taking it to a dealer going to flag the car vehicle history report with the issues?

-Adam
I recommend Motorwerks in Barrington, IL. I have a good service adviser and he takes care of my fleet of benz's really well. PM me for his contact info. I don't recommend Mercedes of westmont which is right next to me.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:02 AM

2008 G55k
Were the issues on this car resolved? I am helping my brother diagnose his issue with his '09 S63 getting the same code plus a really loud hissing sound at idle.

* 0745 - Self-adaption of mixture formulation for enrichment at idle for the right cylinder bank is above the permissible limit (P2187)

and an additional

*2091 - The mixture in the right cylinder bank is too lean when idling (P2187)

The dealer's recommendation is to replace the entire intake manifold because of a leak somewhere which I don't agree with. Because I can't get them to isolate the leak how do we know replacing the manifold will solve the problem.

Any thoughts from anyone who has had similar issues?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Intake manifold leak. Run lambada control via STAR, spray some carb cleaner around the manifold with engine running and see where the graph picks it from. Isolate the leak that way or have a shop do it for you.
Most of the used cars out there are full of 80% fault codes but mostly from the past if you run a full scan.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:24 AM

2008 G55k
Thanks! Will try this out tomorrow.

Originally Posted by benz_addict
Intake manifold leak. Run lambada control via STAR, spray some carb cleaner around the manifold with engine running and see where the graph picks it from. Isolate the leak that way or have a shop do it for you.
Most of the used cars out there are full of 80% fault codes but mostly from the past if you run a full scan.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:12 PM

S65 ML63 SL65 S63 G63
Shop In Chicago

Aftermath 3065 N. Elston Ave 773-588-7223