S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Does the Renntech ECU Upgrade on the S65 increase the cost of maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S65
Talking Does the Renntech ECU Upgrade on the S65 increase the cost of maintenance?

Attention fellow MBZ Owners:

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2008 S65 with the Renntech ECU Upgrade. Can anyone tell me if the upgrades increase the cost of maintenance for the vehicle? Will it increase the cost of brake repairs or scheduled engine services?

Also, do the upgrades reduce the vehicle's gas mileage below the stated 11/17 mpg?

Thank you for your input.

Mvwright

Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mvwright

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2008 S65 with the Renntech ECU Upgrade. Can anyone tell me if the upgrades increase the cost of maintenance for the vehicle? Will it increase the cost of brake repairs or scheduled engine services?

Also, do the upgrades reduce the vehicle's gas mileage below the stated 11/17 mpg?

Mvwright

I don't have a S65, but a S55, with a good amount of mods. As far as maintenacne goes, I havent' had anything out of the ordinary. I am about due for new brake pads, but I'm waiting for EvoSport to come out with their multi-piece rotors. I get better gas mileage on the highway at almost 25mpg. And in all honesty, my car out runs (stays working longer without breaking) than all of my firends who have 600+ hp mustangs and 450+ Grand Prix, yes I said Grand Prix.

I think you should go for it, just one thing on this matter. Renntch is exspensive, look at other companys too. OE Tuning, Euro Charged, and Speedriven are a couple I can think of.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM

S65
Helpful Information

Triman2008, I appreciate the information.

The S65 I'm looking at already has the Renntech upgrades, so it's not an issue as to shopping for the most cost effective.

As to the gas mileage, are you saying the Renntech ECU Upgrade will actually increase the miles per gallon?

Thank you,
Mvwright
Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

S55 AMG
I know my car has a Kleemann box tune. On the highway I get almost 25 mpg. My car is rated at about 22 mpg. So yeah, it will help. You have to remember that with all modifications done to a car, it either help get air in or out or more fuel in. With putting more air in, you are increasing the atomization of fuel (within reason) and the burn of the fuel will be faster and more efficient. Thus uping MPG.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:21 PM

S65
Thanks for the information and explanation of how the ECU upgrade can possibly help increase the vehicle's mpg.

Do you find the maintenance and scheduled services cost more than the regular S550 model?

Thank you,
Mvwright
Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 PM

S55 AMG
No, they all are expensive.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Mvwright
I think if you're considering purchasing a 2008 S65 with the Renntech Upgrade, cost of ownership shouldn't be a consideration.

You're starting off with an expensive car whose sole purpose is to turn fuel, rubber and brakes into atmospheric pollutants as fast as possible.

Then you modify it to make it do everything faster.

And because there was no room to fit any more power-producing hardware, you have to remove the engine to change simple things.

It ain't going to be cheap.

Having said that, I found tyres, brakes, servicing and insurance costs on my S600TT to be surprisingly acceptable. Fuel and repairs are another matter.

Eyes open!

Nick
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
I think if you're considering purchasing a 2008 S65 with the Renntech Upgrade, cost of ownership shouldn't be a consideration.

You're starting off with an expensive car whose sole purpose is to turn fuel, rubber and brakes into atmospheric pollutants as fast as possible.

And because there was no room to fit any more power-producing hardware, you have to remove the engine to change simple things.

Having said that, I found tyres, brakes, servicing and insurance costs on my S600TT to be surprisingly acceptable. Fuel and repairs are another matter.

Eyes open!

Nick

Well said....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM

07 S65
I have an 07 S65 with the Renntech ECU/TCU upgrade and I haven't seen any increase in maintenance over stock. The car drives and acts just as it would stock. You have to remember it was a 200k car new so any repairs are not going to be cheap but the mods shouldn't effect it either way. I love my Renntech and wouldn't drive the car without it.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM

S65
I appreciate all of your comments. I understand that buying a S65 is not an inexpensive choice, but I was uncertain if the Renntech upgrades actually added to the maintenance cost of the vehicle or if it lowered the mpg.

To DJE55, I looked at your S65 in your album and it is very similar to the car I am considering. Your input was greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. I appreciate any additional input.

Mvwright
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
I appreciate all of your comments. I understand that buying a S65 is not an inexpensive choice, but I was uncertain if the Renntech upgrades actually added to the maintenance cost of the vehicle or if it lowered the mpg.

To DJE55, I looked at your S65 in your album and it is very similar to the car I am considering. Your input was greatly appreciated.

Mvwright
You will not be able to stop using the GO peddle, this will cost you more for gas, breaks and rear tires, but you will be doing this and this all day long !!!!

The following users liked this post:
Ed P (02-08-2021)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li

Mvwright
You will not be able to stop using the GO peddle, this will cost you more for gas, brakes and rear tires, but you will be doing this and this all day long !!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Welwynnick

Eyes open!

Nick

love that!!!!

Mind if I use that???
Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM

07 S65

Mvwright
If you don't go with the 08 and want a car that is probably a bit cheaper let me know. I have been toying with putting mine on the market for sale. I haven't done so yet but if someone wanted the car I would let it go. Car has Renntech ECU, TCU, rear spoiler and lowering module with 2 sets of wheels and tires.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
I don't see how operating costs would be any different with only a tune.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Having said how expensive tuned TT's are, we've just come back from a touring holiday in my Eurocharged S600. Once out of traffic and cruising on a long run, it averaged 28 to 33 mpg (UK gallons). For a Lambo-chasing luxo-barge, I'd say that was having your cake and eating it. There are still plenty of financial downsides, but I don't think the tune itself makes the engine less efficient; its just down to the control you have over your right foot.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Ed P (02-08-2021)