S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63 Brake dust hell. Akebono pads vs. Porterfields vs. EBC Redstuff.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
S63 Brake dust hell. Akebono pads vs. Porterfields vs. EBC Redstuff.

Don't want brake dust anymore on my AMG car (after 2 hours of driving - tons of it) but I don't want squealing either. Did a ton of searching and found threads recommending Akebonos vs. Porterfields vs. EBC Redstuff. None of the owners were AMG 63 folks, but S550 folks.

What have you AMG S Class guys tried? Had Akebonos on my old 2001 BMW 740i and I LOVED them but they sometimes squealed and made other noises. Maybe they weren't bedded that well...

Comments from various threads but no S63 guys chimed in to my knowledge. Are our brakes different and these aftermarket dust free pads not a good match? I bought an aftermarket Continental warranty. Could switching to these pads affect that warranty?

To be truthful, I will have a hard time owning this car without dust "free" pads. Thoughts? I realize they aren't dust free, but a lot less dirty wheels would be a good reason to want to drive this car more

COMMENTS BELOW FROM OTHER THREADS ON THE SUBJECT -

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...rake-pads.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good brakes NO DUST!!

Porterfield part#

fronts ap1223

rears ap986
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Definitely Akebono for pads. Nice not have to clean up a world of dust.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Porterfield RS-4's are awesome pads. No dust and no squeal...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I replied to another thread on this subject regarding EBC pads vs Porterfields. I put EBC red stuff pads on my daughter's Rangs Rover supercharged sport that comes stock with big time dusting Brembo brakes. I was very disappointed with the reduction of dust that the EBC pads gave. The dust was reduced somewhat but they still gave off a hell of a lot of dust. I just had Porterfields put on my wife's S550 and the reduction of dust is incredible and no squeal.
I purchased the pads from Jerry at www.formymercedes.com

I bought them directly from Porterfield. I have never used EBC, but I have also never heard anyone say a single negative thing on the P's. I just did the pads...
My independent put them on for $50.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just installed RS4 on my 2007 S550. They're working very well but they squeak just a little. maybe i got a bad apple. Ordered from their website company base in Costa Mesa, CA. good people there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also had porterfields
I had them put on locally about 2 weeks ago. Absolutely no squeal, got them from Gerry at formymercedes.com. Great guy. Unbeleivable how little dust is on the rims couldn't be happier, and no noise at all. (Knock on wood) I would have done it sooner if I knew. I changed them because the last service I had they said I had about 2 mil left on them, whatever that corresponds to in mileage you got me, since most of my driving is highway. There is less dust in front than back with the stock brakes by far. I am taking the car in today for rears even though they don;t need them.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Akebono Euro Ceramic here. Amazing pads.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
If you want good performance and almost no dust, use Porterfield's R4S compound.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
It always seems to be an argument between good braking ability and brake dust. It's kind of like tires - long wear generally equals poor grip. In brakes it's no dust versus poorer braking performance. I just switched to OE shoes and couldn't be happier with the braking performance but now I have dust. Is there a perfect solution?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Originally Posted by mrbobby
It always seems to be an argument between good braking ability and brake dust. It's kind of like tires - long wear generally equals poor grip. In brakes it's no dust versus poorer braking performance. I just switched to OE shoes and couldn't be happier with the braking performance but now I have dust. Is there a perfect solution?
I would be willing to sacrifice an awful lot not to have all the dust.. Squealing is optional if the brake pads are put on correctly. If done right, they shouldn't squeal. I've read some threads where the OEM pads squealed and then they switched to Porterfields and they stopped squealing.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63 AMG
Solution?

What did you try Porterfield or EBC Red stuff? Having the same issue with my 21 C63AMG I’m so over it. This is a before and after picture. Took me two hours to get the rims cleaned. Covered again two days later and I try so hard to downshift and drive like a grandma to not ride the brakes.

Last edited by lnaylor; 06-13-2022 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 08-19-2022, 01:58 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
I recently had to replace my front brakes, both pads and rotors. There was ceramic pads on the front and I didn't buy them again. I regret not spending the little extra money big time.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts
222 S-65
Carbon ceramic brakes.... zero dust... zero noise.
The following users liked this post:
paste (08-20-2022)