S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Leaking/leaky ABC strut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 S63
Leaking/leaky ABC strut

2009 S63 has a leaking front strut. I found that Arnott sells through retailers now, and their products are available at O'Reilly's in my area.

Arnott have a you tube video showing replacement of a strut. It's on a different model MB, but the process should be similar to my car. The actual wrench turning looks fairly easy. My only question is at the end of the video, there is this message:

NOTE THE AIR STRUT CONTAINS A SOLENOID VALVE. ONCE DEFLATED, ONLY THE “MERCEDES DAS STAR” DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER CAN INFLATE THE AIR STRUT.

Would I have to get this service performed after changing out the strut? I've read about the "rodeo". Would I need to have this done?

Thanks, Leo

Old 02-27-2020, 07:24 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
I have rebuilds done by these people with great success > https://rebuildmastertech.com/
Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM

2009 S63
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
I have rebuilds done by these people with great success > https://rebuildmastertech.com/
Thanks Hendrik
Old 02-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
2007 Jaguar XJ8L, 1999 Miata, 2003 Yamaha FJR1300
ABC or Airmatic? Different systems, and a video showing you how to do an air strut is not going to help you. ABC is hydraulic.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (04-08-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 01:16 PM

2009 S63
Originally Posted by wfooshee
ABC or Airmatic? Different systems, and a video showing you how to do an air strut is not going to help you. ABC is hydraulic.
It's ABC.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
Originally Posted by bajaleo
2009 S63 has a leaking front strut. I found that Arnott sells through retailers now, and their products are available at O'Reilly's in my area.

Arnott have a you tube video showing replacement of a strut. It's on a different model MB, but the process should be similar to my car. The actual wrench turning looks fairly easy. My only question is at the end of the video, there is this message:

NOTE THE AIR STRUT CONTAINS A SOLENOID VALVE. ONCE DEFLATED, ONLY THE “MERCEDES DAS STAR” DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER CAN INFLATE THE AIR STRUT.

Would I have to get this service performed after changing out the strut? I've read about the "rodeo". Would I need to have this done?

Thanks, Leo

hi, order this from ebay IF IT IS ABC system , Full Throttle FT40204 multi -system sealer add on cold engine ABC system, and go for a drive,pump system up and down , and this leak is sealed up in 4 days. clean this on picture and see how well it will work. it will seal and expand all o rings in system . Thank me later.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:17 PM

The reference you gave to struts at O'Reilly's is confusing. I did a search for my 2003 S55 on their site, and got hits for the strut at each corner. They are titled "Air Suspension Struts" but the description clearly describes "For use with ABC systems." Also, for some reason Arnott insists they won't fit my car because I have a VIN earlier than 372602. I searched using 2009 S63 and the struts listed ARE ABC struts, again title "Air Suspension," but are nearly twice the price of the ones for my car! Also, they say VIN after 122821, so if your VIN ends with a number lower than that, than you're no good with these.

As for the reconditioner in the post above, there is more to the system than O-rings and leaks. The top bushings on the struts are 90% chance of being shot.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:24 PM

89 SL500 Silver ,97 SL500 Carlsson 04 Mercedes SL55 AMG , 07 Mercedes SL55 AMG convertedBlack series
The reference you gave to struts at O'Reilly's is confusing. I did a search for my 2003 S55 on their site, and got hits for the strut at each corner. They are titled "Air Suspension Struts" but the description clearly describes "For use with ABC systems." Also, for some reason Arnott insists they won't fit my car because I have a VIN earlier than 372602. I searched using 2009 S63 and the struts listed ARE ABC struts, again title "Air Suspension," but are nearly twice the price of the ones for my car! Also, they say VIN after 122821, so if your VIN ends with a number lower than that, than you're no good with these.

As for the reconditioner in the post above, there is more to the system than O-rings and leaks. The top bushings on the struts are 90% chance of being shot.
YOU ARE wrong, my front struts both in front , looked like this in 2009, on my SL 55, 1 q oil was gone from system , this stuff fix the case in 4 days, and lasted for 7 years, i know what i talk about, All rubberseals, O rings in all system , in the shock will return to orginal state. i can warrant this. Stop waist money on buy new ones. If bushings gone where fitted, is cheap change is it not, ofcourse need inspect all.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 04-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM

I'm wrong where, exactly? I never said reconditioning the seals wouldn't work for leaks, I just said that there's more to good ABC replenishment than that. Probably a language barrier thing. The upper bushing on the strut that I mentioned as probably being shot is NOT replaceable, or available as a separate part. That bushing is part of a strut rebuild.

Personally, I would be very wary of mixing any kind of additive into the ABC fluid, though. It's not like it's just cheap power steering fluid; it's special stuff, and expensive. While your experience seems to have been good, I'm not dumping anything except the approved fluid into my system.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 PM

I'm wrong where, exactly? I never said reconditioning the seals wouldn't work for leaks, I just said that there's more to good ABC replenishment than that. Probably a language barrier thing. The upper bushing on the strut that I mentioned as probably being shot is NOT replaceable, or available as a separate part. That bushing is part of a strut rebuild.

Personally, I would be very wary of mixing any kind of additive into the ABC fluid, though. It's not like it's just cheap power steering fluid; it's special stuff, and expensive. While your experience seems to have been good, I'm not dumping anything except the approved fluid into my system.
The top bushings on the struts are 90% chance of being shot., I cant speak for that ,i have not heard that this been a issue in any discuss on struits before.

SO how are the stock fluid working for everyone ???, is a disaster for thousands of car that this fluid is not made good enought to protect inside where its used . The fluid i been using is proven to fix the case ,and improve the stock fluid .Reduce heat in system .
Bet you have not heard about a hard driven AMG 55 compressor engine that not using oil ?? Mine do not use oil now, and is nots just the Royal Purple oil 10 40 that stopped that , thats the addetive i put to reseal the valve seals ,and cleaning up piston rings that made the biggest share of this.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:21 AM

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
TommyBoy, our mileage may vary

Were you the original owner who took good care of the car?

The top bushings of ABC Struts wear out; common problem. You get a loud clunk or crunch noise going over speed bumps and similar situations. Keep searching the archives.

occasionally ABC hydraulic strut seals leak ABC fluid and need replacement. I have not heard any from Arnott that are exact replacements for MB ABC struts with all the features. (Separately, for non-ABC cars, MB Airmatic struts can leak air and need replacements. I know Arnott as a good supplier for replacing those air type struts.)

Your experience seems too good to be true.
Adding sealants to hydraulic fluid will probably help for a while, and I hope you get great enjoyment from the extra time you bought yourself. The vendor certainly appreciates your plug. But eventually that is merely a bandaid that masks a growing problem. akin to radiator, transmission and crankcase oil additives that may conflict with intended operations and/or gum up your system.

For the rest of us who have been banging and nursing these cars for the past 15-18 years of hydraulic ABC ownership, we have a pretty good history of learning the system works great as designed. But, If you don’t change the Pentosin CHF-11S fluid (A high quality hydraulic fluid with additive to reduce flammability) and filter often, the rubber bits flaking off the innards of hoses and pump and valves into the fluid eventually wear out the seals. its the crud that accelerated the wear.

Adding sealant likely will change pressures in the pump, valves and shocks and any additional wearing from bits in the fluid will get you right back to leaky components.

re engine oil additive: I have used Mobil 1 0W40 since new. No additives. Never burns oil. Valve trains are squeaky clean. I boroscoped my spark plug holes and nearly zero carbon on all 8 cylinders. Your mileage may vary.
maw1124 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:42 AM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
Bajaleo

I think you were mixing your leaky ABC hydraulic strut repair problem with an Arnott Airmatic air strut repair video. (Or maybe Arnott made a mistake in their video). Post a link and I will check it out.

You can replace an ABC Hydraulic strut. I recommend trying to buy OEM. I have been fortunate to not need to do a strut yet, but I don’t think I would trust a refurb part. I do like Arnott’s air products so I can vouch for those (different vehicle). But I have not seen many reviews here about their hydraulic refurbs. Make sure you don’t lose any functionality.

I don’t know whether you will need to run the rodeo procedure after the strut replacement. In theory it cycles fluid to all 4 wheels, but the end of each line is the strut so really no way to get bubbles out of the lines way out there unless you use the bleed nipples in the wheel arches.

I have done valve bodies and accumulators replacements without needing rodeo. I just hit the ABC up and down buttons for a couple dozen cycles.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 444 Posts
222 S-65
I purchased an Arnott ABC strut for my S-65.
Upon removing the dust seal from the coupler I found it to be full of .5MM steel *****.
Mistake in rebuild process? Surely they would not send out a product that would immediately foul the strut + the rest of the ABC system!

I returned that strut to the wholesaler I've worked with for 33 years. They sent another. Same issue.

My left front strut leaks. Enough that I wipe it off with a shop rag when she is on the hoist.
Topped up fluid twice now in two years. She will continue to 'leak' for what that MB strut costs.

Inspect anything you look to install in your car! No matter who it comes from. Everyone makes mistakes.

OP the only parts to buy for your car from the corner parts store are synthetic oil.
maw1124 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by GrepAwk
Were you the original owner who took good care of the car?

The top bushings of ABC Struts wear out; common problem. You get a loud clunk or crunch noise going over speed bumps and similar situations. Keep searching the archives.

occasionally ABC hydraulic strut seals leak ABC fluid and need replacement. I have not heard any from Arnott that are exact replacements for MB ABC struts with all the features. (Separately, for non-ABC cars, MB Airmatic struts can leak air and need replacements. I know Arnott as a good supplier for replacing those air type struts.)

Your experience seems too good to be true.
Adding sealants to hydraulic fluid will probably help for a while, and I hope you get great enjoyment from the extra time you bought yourself. The vendor certainly appreciates your plug. But eventually that is merely a bandaid that masks a growing problem. akin to radiator, transmission and crankcase oil additives that may conflict with intended operations and/or gum up your system.

For the rest of us who have been banging and nursing these cars for the past 15-18 years of hydraulic ABC ownership, we have a pretty good history of learning the system works great as designed. But, If you don’t change the Pentosin CHF-11S fluid (A high quality hydraulic fluid with additive to reduce flammability) and filter often, the rubber bits flaking off the innards of hoses and pump and valves into the fluid eventually wear out the seals. its the crud that accelerated the wear.

Adding sealant likely will change pressures in the pump, valves and shocks and any additional wearing from bits in the fluid will get you right back to leaky components.

re engine oil additive: I have used Mobil 1 0W40 since new. No additives. Never burns oil. Valve trains are squeaky clean. I boroscoped my spark plug holes and nearly zero carbon on all 8 cylinders. Your mileage may vary.
So you dont belive, so dont buy, i am here to help the Mercedes owners that listen to a guy that had Mercedes cars for 20 years, and i know my **** little also.
10 YEARS now sinse my car was realy ****ed ABC front struits,, this stuff one small bottle and 1 liter Pentosin to fill to right level, and car was ok after 4 days. Iknow the new owner of that car ,i sold it Juli 2013 , he told me it started sweat again after 7 years, added new bottle,and is sealed up, car work normal . is USA producer of this stuff , i buy it from Norway and Spain QMI oils Florida. Europe is called QMI , USA they sell under name Full Throttle . I used QMI teflon products sine 1995 with absolute super results , ALL my AMG cars ,get full treatment all moving parts the day after i buy them. AND i not spend a dollar on anything than a alternator , tuningstuff and oil/filters . Frends of me had leaks on SL55 AMG cars a 2007, a 2004 , and a 2003 , all sealed up nice . My 2007 dont leak,so its just treated with QMI teflon hydraulic treatment as prevantive measure , same on my SL63 IWC edition

Spec ,and it is cheap on Ebay

Multi-System Sealer

PART NO. FT40204

Full Throttle® Multi-System Sealer restores hardened, shrunken and brittle seals. Specifically designed to soften and gently swell the seal, recovering its elasticity before it breaks.
  • For Use in Oil System, Transmission and Power Steering
  • Full synthetic, Solvent-Free Oil-Based Formula
  • Restores Seals and O-rings
  • Metal and Chlorine free
  • Concentrated Treatment
  • Stops Leaks

Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 PM

2009 S63
I can see why there is confusion. In the pic from Arnott's site you can see their part numbers for each corner of the car. O'Reilly's site shows the same part numbers but calls them "air suspension struts".

From Arnott's website:

From O'Reilly's website:

Old 04-09-2020, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I’ve used Arnott in the past for air struts. Different car (Audi Allroad), and although I used to love them, as they’ve grown I’ve loved them less and less. With this move to distributors only (on my last warranty call to them, they didn’t even want to deal direct to consumer anymore), I think I may be done with them. On these I would source a used oEM part off eBay first. Seller autohubshop has a few currently, and I’ve sourced other great parts at great prices from them before — good seller. God is good, he seems to specialize in W220 and W221 parts.

Ditto to everything GrepHawk has said above.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; 04-09-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:21 PM

2009 S63
Originally Posted by maw1124
I’ve used Arnott in the past for air struts. Different car (Audi Allroad), and although I used to love them, as they’ve grown I’ve loved them less and less. With this move to distributors only (on my last warranty call to them, they didn’t even want to deal direct to consumer anymore), I think I may be done with them. On these I would source a used oEM part off eBay first. Seller autohubshop has a few currently, and I’ve sourced other great parts at great prices from them before — good seller. God is good, he seems to specialize in W220 and W221 parts.

Ditto to everything GrepHawk has said above.

maw
Thanks for the tip. Autohubshop looks like a great resource.
maw1124 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Do not dump ANYTHING other than Pentosin CHF11S into the ABC system.

Just because it "worked" for some guy on the internet doesn't mean you should **** up your $4,000 ABC pump and $2,000 a piece struts and valve blocks.
wfooshee (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Do not dump ANYTHING other than Pentosin CHF11S into the ABC system.

Just because it "worked" for some guy on the internet doesn't mean you should **** up your $4,000 ABC pump and $2,000 a piece struts and valve blocks.
OH really , 10 years now in the system is not proof enought for you that this work perfect ? it also protect the pump and rubber hoses ..And who is so blown in head that they go buy OEM new pump, when you can get them from 300 and up? Overhauled struits with changed seals for around 500

Multi-System Sealer

PART NO. FT40204

Full Throttle® Multi-System Sealer restores hardened, shrunken and brittle seals. Specifically designed to soften and gently swell the seal, recovering its elasticity before it breaks.
  • For Use in Oil System, Transmission and Power Steering
  • Full synthetic, Solvent-Free Oil-Based Formula
  • Restores Seals and O-rings
  • Metal and Chlorine free
  • Concentrated Treatment
  • Stops Leaks

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 04-14-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:16 AM

I'm wondering if the one listing on eBay for this stuff is his... Also wondering if this forum has a block feature. Not finding it if it has one.
The following 2 users liked this post by wfooshee:
maw1124 (04-14-2020), TECHNICIAN (04-15-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:45 PM

I'm wondering if the one listing on eBay for this stuff is his... Also wondering if this forum has a block feature. Not finding it if it has one.
i am in Europe and not selling this , and listing on ebay was a buyer that told me about , name of vendor is automotivepartssuperstore in ebay.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 04-14-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
So how much of this do you add? One little bottle every time there’s a problem? How many bottles have you added over the years? Any ABC Fluid and Filter changes during that time?

maw
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by maw1124
So how much of this do you add? One little bottle every time there’s a problem? How many bottles have you added over the years? Any ABC Fluid and Filter changes during that time?

maw
On the 2004 SL55 , added 1 bottle spring 2010 to seal up all ABC , lasted 7 years on that one, Correction , asked him now , new owner did a flush and changed filter 2018 after started sweat little, added 1 bottle , I did not flush back in 2010., pretty shure then car has had no change or flush from 2004 til 2018 . If you add one bottle engine, it will refresh rear and front seals, and valveseals will be nice and tight., will see oil use go down very mutch.

Last edited by Tommyboy928; 04-15-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:35 PM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
Great.

Sounds like a good bandaid solution that worked for you.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrepAwk
Sounds like a good bandaid solution that worked for you.
is not bandaid, is not rocket scientist stuff,, this stuff just restore the O rings and rubber til OEM condition , i would call it just fantastic . Plus people save alot money on this. Engine if put there, your valve seals goes nice and tight, REAR and front seals, how many has little leaks there,that this fix in few days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leaking/leaky ABC strut