S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

What is the window between lane sensing cameras for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
What is the window between lane sensing cameras for?

We've struggled to get consistent GPS signal for Radenso RC-M both in in the front bumper and later in the dash. The latest move was to the highlighted below window where windshield looks to be completely transparent. With that change, problem with GPS signal acquisition is gone, with RC-M meeting or beating my past experience with MAX360. Question is what was this designed for originally and what gets compromised by dropping RC-M GPS antenna into that location?
Old 02-27-2020, 11:23 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Rain/light sensor
The following users liked this post:
Dan_B (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 01:27 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Rain/light sensor
Thanks! Sounds like a potential problem of having GPS antenna there. I guess I'll get a chance to test rain sensing soon given Seattle weather (that was unusually dry for the last couple of days). Have not observed degradation with high beams function so far.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:59 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Rain/light sensor
Igor, I checked with the service dept when I picked up the coupe yesterday. It is exactly what TECHNICIAN said.

I'm paraphrasing what the guys said to-- It's highly recommended not to block that view. There's a good reason MB placed it there. You could very well end up with bad unintended consequences.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Thanks Dan!
Old 02-29-2020, 03:07 PM

2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
My pleasure, Igor!

Also, when it's time to service your coupe I highly recommend using MB Lynnwood. They have one of the top 10 AMG techs in the US and he was trained in DE on our coupe. Ask for Garrett Graham and let him know I referred you. I think you'll notice the quality of the people and the totally different feel of a family owned dealership as soon as you enter. No one offers better service for our coupes!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:11 PM

Igor, I think this can solve the problem safely (page 131 of the owner's manual):

(next page)... Infrared-reflective windshield function

The infrared-reflective windshield is coated and reduces the build-up of heat in the vehicle interior. The coating shields the vehicle interior from radio waves.

Last edited by Dan_B; 02-29-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:32 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Igor, I think this can solve the problem safely (page 131 of the owner's manual):

(next page)... Infrared-reflective windshield function

The infrared-reflective windshield is coated and reduces the build-up of heat in the vehicle interior. The coating shields the vehicle interior from radio waves.
If only it was that easy

Second location for the GPS antenna was exactly under the #1 window in center low position, that marginally improved reception compared to the original location behind the star in a front bumper (actually, antenna is still there and the second one was mounted). Placing antenna in the light/rain sensor area solved all of the signal problems to the place it beats max360 I use in one of the older cars.

So far I have not observed any degradation with my auto-lighting or rain sensing vipers. I'll leave it as it is for some time, otherwise antenna will have to be mounted outside in front of the windshield right behind the hood. I simply see no other option

One other item I noted - BlackVue does not give me GPS data on the videos and it is located in the top #1 window area. I have not paid too much attention to it yet so it can be a simple problem of bad app design.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:34 AM

Sorry mate...
Old 03-01-2020, 06:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 S550 Sedan W222
Interesting! I have my Uniden R7 mounted in location #1. It takes a while to get a GPS lock but usually does after 10 mins or so of driving. My phone doesn’t get GPS reception well for Waze so I purchased a Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS which I have on the rear deck lid - and I find that works perfectly. Either the back windshield doesn’t have the same gps blocking qualities or maybe it gets a signal from the GLONASS system instead.

I’ve given up on chasing the GPS for Radar because I know Radenso is coming out with their line of radar detectors with THEIA this year and those won’t need GPS for filtering. Though it sounds like the windshield mount version is coming out before the new remote mount unit.

One more option they can try is using a GPS signal repeater (if the Radenso GPS antenna isn’t long enough to reach somewhere that works). I had to use one of these with my 9500CI installation when I had my Panamera. This allows you a long wire to run the new antenna to the rear or exterior of the car. You then tape the repeater to the Radenso GPS antenna and it should be able to get a signal.

Repeater:
Universal-GPS-Antenna-Car-External-Amplifier-Receiver-Repeater-Navigation-Tool
Amazon Amazon
Igor Sakhnov (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:40 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by daviper
Interesting! I have my Uniden R7 mounted in location #1. It takes a while to get a GPS lock but usually does after 10 mins or so of driving. My phone doesn’t get GPS reception well for Waze so I purchased a Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS which I have on the rear deck lid - and I find that works perfectly. Either the back windshield doesn’t have the same gps blocking qualities or maybe it gets a signal from the GLONASS system instead.
10+ minutes was the experience I had and it was coupled with signal some times getting lost. This was driving me crazy given the amount of stationary noise around here. Great insight on the rear deck, will consider that location as an alternative.

I’ve given up on chasing the GPS for Radar because I know Radenso is coming out with their line of radar detectors with THEIA this year and those won’t need GPS for filtering. Though it sounds like the windshield mount version is coming out before the new remote mount unit.
Yes, integrated version will be some time next year, way too long or me to wait. My main ask to Radenso was to make the new unit plug and play with current so I can simply replace the CPU. will see.

One more option they can try is using a GPS signal repeater (if the Radenso GPS antenna isn’t long enough to reach somewhere that works). I had to use one of these with my 9500CI installation when I had my Panamera. This allows you a long wire to run the new antenna to the rear or exterior of the car. You then tape the repeater to the Radenso GPS antenna and it should be able to get a signal.

Repeater:
Universal-GPS-Antenna-Car-External-Amplifier-Receiver-Repeater-Navigation-Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQQ4YJV..._fj6wEb53AWAKF
That was not the problem, original location was at the very front of the car in behind the front bumper.
daviper (03-03-2020)