S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

First real problem with 20S63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 12:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
First real problem with 20S63

Stop by friends house on Thursday, came back to my car and it would not start. Electronics would come up but the engine would not start with no errors shown. Tried key in the cupholder key nook, didn't help but observed red light flickering on the key when start button is pushed. After about 15 minutes of going back and forth I have given up. Also, by this time car started showing the error that transmission is overheated and I need to stop asap. I called the dealership. They tried remote diagnostics and could not figure out anything and recommend to get it towed through the assist button. To say the least, I was not impressed with the assist system as they ended up taking all of my info, including the VIN and my geo position. This is 21st century with car connected, why on earth would I need to spell the street intersection instead of them just pulling it out of telemetry??? The suggested that the local company will contact me in 15-20 minutes so I went back to my friends house. Once local company called, they said they are on the way to jump start me. Jump start? I had no need to jump start, I needed it to be towed. I explained this to the guy but he thought he was close to stop and see it himself. With that, I remembered that I have not tried phone start up and to my surprise car had started with no problems. Opening the door stopped the car but I was soo happy to see that this time it started with the button push. Dropped it at the dealership, kudos to Bellevue as the transaction literally took 5 minutes with the loaner waiting for me. Loaner - what a difference between S and C class, I wont even comment on this. Got a call yesterday from the reception lady that they diagnosed "valve body" problem and that new parts are five business days away. Will talk to the foreman on Monday to understand the problem.

Sigh.....

The reason I went to see my friend was to see her new Taycan. Beautiful care overall but I'd still take S over it. She had it for a week now and while it runs wonderfully, she is struggling with the software glitches with her profile...
Old 10-04-2020, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Igor -

Sorry to hear of the Coupes problems -

Had you noticed any problem(s) with the

transmission prior to stopping at your friends house -

I have to wonder if it is computer / program related as

the time you spent with your friend should have been more

than enough for the transmission to cool down -

It was not that hot yesterday -

The parts in question most likely are coming out of SoCal

and that 5 days may mean 5 working days -

Will be very interested to hear what the foremen has to say -

I have not heard of this problem since the release of the

current C217 model -

Please keep this thread updated -

And drive that C class like you stole it -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:35 AM
haa

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 2019 G63. Lock the car and wait few mins and it will start from phone app and sometimes the key will start working. Did not happen with 2nd key so the engine startup module was having trouble recognizing the key. Seems that MB uses a different module for door opening vs engine starting hence the flashing key. Had the key replaced and software updated and it was fixed. These new keys are very finicky. Has nothing to do with transmission body valve although that could be a different problem and the source of that overheat message.
The following users liked this post:
Igor Sakhnov (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:40 AM

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Porsche Tycan is a beautiful car, but it's not a luxury car. Nothing beats an S class...
The following users liked this post:
Igor Sakhnov (10-04-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 12:13 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by haa
Had a similar problem with my 2019 G63. Lock the car and wait few mins and it will start from phone app and sometimes the key will start working. Did not happen with 2nd key so the engine startup module was having trouble recognizing the key. Seems that MB uses a different module for door opening vs engine starting hence the flashing key. Had the key replaced and software updated and it was fixed. These new keys are very finicky. Has nothing to do with transmission body valve although that could be a different problem and the source of that overheat message.
This is exactly what I was expecting (key problem) and I was surprised to hear “valve body”. Will see what they tell me tomorrow.

There is no way tranny was overheated, car was out turned off for good 45 minutes before I moved it 150 yards and shut off again, I’d guess computer glitch more then anything.

Agreed that nothing still beats S in the overall package from the mainstream manufactures and Porsche is a lot me perf oriented (though one starts to question with panamera and taycan given the size).
Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Had a call with the service folks, essentially sounds like the same problem as described by @haa and they are looking to replace the module integrated with transmission that is responsible for the integration with the key.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
the mct speedshift trans is a advanced, complicated trans. I havent heard of problems before but its not a surprise. Lucky its not worse than a valve body.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:17 PM
haa

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
I don't think it's the valve body, it seems to be the electronic module in the transmission that recognizes the key.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:18 AM

2020 S63 Coupe
The explanation I have gotten at the dealership was that transmission unit lost connectivity to the key module for some reason and that the valve body hosts electronics for it (????). Below are the notes from the order sheet they gave me

4527 Valve body electrical fault tech 9983 *** PTSS case

#000151413+++ Client states the vehicle will not start. All the lights - covered by its and warning indicator come on in the IC but engine will not turn over. DE parts come and/or the parts Do not hear the starter engaging. No warning messages preset in the IC according to the client. Vehicle eventually started 10minutes later. Unable to duplicate the no start condition. Vehicle started and ran normally. No warning indicators or messages present. Connected battery charger and performed a short test, Found several control units bellevue reporting CAN communication issues with the EIS, AC, TC, BMS, ESP, Suspension Drivetrain ME and ETC. All fault codes occurred at 7264
LINE OPCODE TECH TYPE HOURS (vehicle currently has 7282km). Only other fault code besides the communication

is P02184B Transmission oil temperature sensor has detected over temperature. There is a fault due to over temperature

Stored in the ETC with the same mileage in the FF data as the CAN communication codes. Found no service bulletin related. Test program for P02184B says to ignore and erase the fault. FF data showed the transmission temperature at the time of the fault was at 67C, 12.8v and Arms. Pulled EEprom data from the transmission for review. ÍC event memory shows a warning message was displayed at 7264km Stop vehicle ? Wait Transmission cools down. Found 1 similar PTSS case 000142521 for a 2020 E63. Short test looks identical with the CAN communication codes. Raised the vehicle and removed encapsulation panels. Found no leaks at the transmission. Checked transmission fluid level using ultra sonic tool and found it was ok. Transmission cooler looks to be ok. Transmission oil lines and coolant lines to the cooler look to be ok, no kinks. Radiator looks to be ok and no signs of blockage. Transmission electrical connector and pins all look to be ok. No signs of alterations on the vehicle. Tested battery using the SDS. Battery tested good. Removed the right front floor carpeting to access CAN connector ci X30/21. Connected PICO scope and monitored CAN messages during start up and test drive. Found no issues, scope pattern and messages all good. started PTSS case to have EEprom reviewed. As per MB service engineering, it was suggested the complete valve body be replaced. Removed all encap panels and drain trani fluid. Removed thetrani pan. Replaced the valve body. Reassembled with new bolts, transmission pan, gasket and fluid. Corrected the fluid level using the SDS and ultra sonic tool. Performed initial start up. Updated the Sw and performed coding. Performed standstill adaptations. Verified no leaks. Reassembled Ehe rest of the vehicle and erased fault codes. Test drove to verify the repair. Notes: returned old part to Manny
Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Holy Toledo that’s an extensive evaluation, hope that resolves the problem.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
It works, challenge is that it was never reproduced after the initial failure.