Sponsored by:

About to buy a '16 S63....good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maserati Granturismo Convertible
About to buy a '16 S63....good deal?

Hi guys! Brand new to the forum. I'm contemplating buying a 2016 S63 sedan (Silver/Blk) from a local luxury/exotic car dealer. The car has about 28K miles on it, 1 previous owner, clean Carfax, and has a few small rock chips on the hood but otherwise in excellent condition. The car originally had a MSRP of $164K. The dealer won't go any lower than $82K. Is this a good deal?

The dealer claims to have done a thorough inspection on it but is there anything in particular I should look for? I've owned many cars and brands throughout the years but funny enough, this would be my first MB.

I've contemplated going for the face-lifted '18 or '19 S63's but couldn't stomach the asking price. (Besides, the '16 model was almost half the price for 95% of the performance!....and the interior is virtually identical)

I'm also trading-in my beloved '13 Maserati Granturismo convertible which I've been using as a daily, but it's gotten to a point where its ancient tech and poor Italian build quality is becoming a real issue. She's a real beauty, though! My wife doesn't want me trading it in and thinks the S-Class is an "old man's" car.....hehe....and I'm only 51!

Last edited by psb1013; 08-01-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Honestly she is correct. I am using the 15 s550 now that was my wifes and yes the car does everything perfectly but it is an old mans car and i am approx your age. It is just a boring car and the identity crisis stock does bother me. I actually think the c63 looks better. I swear I cant tell the difference between the S and an E or even C in non AMG form. The facelift does help. Even my kids say it is boring and yell at me for selling my G wagon.

I would test drive a c63 or e63. they just have a more sporty look and feel to them. The s63 is a monster but it is just boring to drive! My 16 750i M was a blast to drive and just looked younger and fresher.
BMW interiors look great in pics but are cheap in reality. Park them next to each other (c63 and S63) and drive them back to back. The only reason to buy the S63 is if you do lots of long highway runs. Thats where it dominates.

I was at the Porsche dealer this week and sat in the new Panamera and it is just incredible inside vs the S. Every single detail is just wow!!!. S class looks great in pics but they need a younger fresher look.

With todays lending practices the avg buying age is a lot younger and they need a sportier version and its not the S63.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
The S550 may be an old mans car, but the S63 is definitely not. A 2016 is probably under MB warranty, if not, you could always take it there for a PPI. I love my S63, its black/black, but I wish I got silver or white.

$82k sounds like a good deal for a 3 yr old S63. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
My E63 is way more fun to drive than my S65 was, although that was a blast. The S is a more luxurious platform for sure, but the E is a better match for the AMG treatment. It depends what you're looking for, but I would also recommend you try an E63S before you buy the S63. A bunch of cars were lemon-law buy backs because of a misfire check engine light that has been fixed with a software update, so they're good deals if you get the benefit of the huge hit the buy-back on the Carfax causes. There are some great deals on low mileage 2018s. I just took a 3,000 mile road trip in mine and it not only more fun because of its better agility and power, but less tiring than the same trip was in the S65. And most of the same toys are available on the E. About the only thing you can't get that I would have liked from the S is the night-vision camera.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:39 AM

Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Ask a bunch of people you'll get totally varying replies from all pretty much. Just drive the E63S back to back with a 16 S63 and decide for yourself. I went to a dealer to look at a 2018 S 63, after owning a 2012 and a 2008 S63 and found the back seat on the E63S miserable small and I have 3 people in my back seat regularly or at least 2 back there. I want them to be comfortable on our long trips, not the opposite.

But that's just me. Your needs may be 180 degrees different. I LOVE and adore my S63. Old man's car? Uhhh, not to me, at all, and I owned 3 7 series BMW's back to back before I got these 3 MB's.

Your mileage will of course vary. Just drive the car for 45 minutes and sit in the back and think, "is this really, really me"? If not, don't buy it. 5 minutes in this new car I got last year and I knew I had to get it. Had too... I don't consider this an old man's car, at all... but you might. Then again, who cares what we think? Get what you like best.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Not sure what S class y0u have but the leg room is only about 3" longer and the width is about under 3" wider than the E. Gone are the days with the S being so much bigger than the E. Park them side by side its hard to tell the difference.

I am optimistic the new one will be a knock out and it will be fresher and younger looking. It seams like they are injecting some young blood into all their models even maybe a little too much.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by DABRONX
Not sure what S class y0u have but the leg room is only about 3" longer and the width is about under 3" wider than the E. Gone are the days with the S being so much bigger than the E. Park them side by side its hard to tell the difference.

I am optimistic the new one will be a knock out and it will be fresher and younger looking. It seams like they are injecting some young blood into all their models even maybe a little too much.
You are comparing a regular S-Class that is not even available here, US has LWB only and the difference in back space vs E is enormous.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by absent
You are comparing a regular S-Class that is not even available here, US has LWB only and the difference in back space vs E is enormous.
This is a key difference. The S is over a foot longer overall, 7 inches of which represents rear leg room. It's a huge difference for rear passenger comfort but as huge a difference for the cars' agility. The improved handling translates, for me at least, to a better driving experience that improves MY comfort on long drives. For those of us who don't regularly have rear-seat passengers, the E makes sense. If you want to optimize rear-passenger comfort, nothing beats a S (although the S63 is probably not the way to go to offer passengers the ultimate limousine experience).