W222 S65 ownership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2024, 10:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4Matic
W222 S65 ownership?

Hi all,
I'm considering purchasing a '15 S65 w/ 53k mi. I've poked around this forum and really haven't seen anything to spook me away. Control arms, lithium battery woes, engine mounts, expensive maintenance items, some oddball high dollar repairs. Is there something I'm missing about these beasts or are they actually decently reliable? I've not read about many distressing MBC issues, major drive line problems or too much of what I thought I'd see.

For reference I currently have a '15 GL550 with the Silitec lined M278 sitting at 112k mi, and had a '14 E350 prior. (Plus a couple of BMWs in the interim.) My GL has been at the dealer for the last 3 months for a litany of issues, most of which are getting sorted by my aftermarket warranty.. But I'm not getting the "warm fuzzies" about my GL's longevity as my aftermarket warranty is dead at 130k.

I'd like some (potentially sobering) perspectives on the S65. The one I'm after doesn't have the carbon ceramic brakes, and has new Pilot Sport 4S tires. Dubious oil change history as it's not listed on the Car Fax, though I'd be surprised if an S65 owner didn't do at least that basic level of service. I expect to do a transmission and brake fluid service immediately, and perhaps (24..) spark plugs but that doesn't worry me. Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 04:07 PM

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
I have a 2015 S65 with 52k miles on it. For perspective, 80% of the miles are expressway/interstate and 20% local driving so things like brake pads last a lot of miles. It is always garaged. I have all the recommended maintenance done at the local MB dealer. The only exception was I did not change the spark plugs at the scheduled time, I think it was 8 years, because the mileage on the car was so far below the mileage recommendation. So far I have replaced the smaller Aux battery in the trunk and I think the pulsation dampener on the MBC pump. That's it. The underhood starter battery is original and so far doing fine.
The W222 is nothing like my previous W220 S65 for maintenance items. The brake pads have been replaced once, the rotors are original. The rotors on my 2006 W220 S65 were also original when I sold it at 90k miles. We just considered replacing it, but it still looks like new and drives perfect so we decided to keep it. The Conti 5P's lasted 20k miles but straight line traction was not good and they were a bit harsh and noisy. The Michelin PS4s tires are smoother, quieter and far stickier. Eliminates the constant traction control intervention that was characteristic of the Conti's. We have owned six MB V12 Biturbo's, never had an engine problem. We have owned three AMG E class V8's, a 6.2, a 5.5 and a 4.0. Every one had at least one significant engine issue.
You did not ask, but a word about gas mileage. We have three V12 Biturbo's in the garage. The local driving gas mileage is the same for all three, does not matter if me or my wife is driving, its 11.5mpg. They diverge on interstate driving. The W222 S65 is the best on open freeway, I can count on 22mpg with the cruise set between 80 to 84mph. At 65mph the best mileage I have seen is 19mpg. Best tank ever was an early summer morning drive from Flagstaff to a small town up on the mountain east of Albuquerque. All high altitude driving and better gas than we get in California. Had the cruise at 84 except through the city area, and almost no traffic for 370 miles. Mileage was 24mpg. Never done better than 20mpg on the SL65, but it has an 8% shorter final drive ratio.
That's our experience, as they say, your mileage may vary.
The following 5 users liked this post by Quadrobenz:
carlosinseattle (09-19-2024), chassis (09-19-2024), HJZ (09-20-2024), SlyAsA (09-20-2024), trigital (09-24-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 10:42 AM
HJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 S65, AMG GTS ED1
Originally Posted by Quadrobenz
I have a 2015 S65 with 52k miles on it. For perspective, 80% of the miles are expressway/interstate and 20% local driving so things like brake pads last a lot of miles. It is always garaged. I have all the recommended maintenance done at the local MB dealer. The only exception was I did not change the spark plugs at the scheduled time, I think it was 8 years, because the mileage on the car was so far below the mileage recommendation. So far I have replaced the smaller Aux battery in the trunk and I think the pulsation dampener on the MBC pump. That's it. The underhood starter battery is original and so far doing fine.
The W222 is nothing like my previous W220 S65 for maintenance items. The brake pads have been replaced once, the rotors are original. The rotors on my 2006 W220 S65 were also original when I sold it at 90k miles. We just considered replacing it, but it still looks like new and drives perfect so we decided to keep it. The Conti 5P's lasted 20k miles but straight line traction was not good and they were a bit harsh and noisy. The Michelin PS4s tires are smoother, quieter and far stickier. Eliminates the constant traction control intervention that was characteristic of the Conti's. We have owned six MB V12 Biturbo's, never had an engine problem. We have owned three AMG E class V8's, a 6.2, a 5.5 and a 4.0. Every one had at least one significant engine issue.
You did not ask, but a word about gas mileage. We have three V12 Biturbo's in the garage. The local driving gas mileage is the same for all three, does not matter if me or my wife is driving, its 11.5mpg. They diverge on interstate driving. The W222 S65 is the best on open freeway, I can count on 22mpg with the cruise set between 80 to 84mph. At 65mph the best mileage I have seen is 19mpg. Best tank ever was an early summer morning drive from Flagstaff to a small town up on the mountain east of Albuquerque. All high altitude driving and better gas than we get in California. Had the cruise at 84 except through the city area, and almost no traffic for 370 miles. Mileage was 24mpg. Never done better than 20mpg on the SL65, but it has an 8% shorter final drive ratio.
That's our experience, as they say, your mileage may vary.
Always good info coming from an owner. Did you follow the service recommendation for coolant and transmission service? I was just informed mine are up for "time" but at 27k miles, not certain if needed.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:06 PM

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
We did all the scheduled maintenance with the exception of the spark plug replacement. We always do the flushes and fluid replacements, while expensive it is cheaper than the alternative.
The exterior of the car is metallic black. Not my favorite because it always looks dusty. We have the car detailed once or twice/year. I had it cleaned with a clay bar a year after purchase. The finish was rough, likely a dry paint residue from the factory. The clay bar cleaning fixed it. So far with the routine detailing the finish has remained smooth.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 604 Likes on 438 Posts
222 S-65
My steed is a 2015 S65. 138,000 miles. Carbon Ceramic brakes. Love the car. Love Magic Body Control. Not a fan of electric steering.... very little information felt through the wheel as to what is happening at front contact patch. Audio is excellent. Replaced a pair of front suspension arms at 90K. Upper control arms (worn bushings made noise) at 125K. CC brake pads made it to 90K. Rotors original. 2-3lb rotors helps with unsprung weight. Tires.... every 15,000 in rear. 20K in front. I am inclined to let the horses run and pay for it in tire wear.
Water pump at 120,000 or so. Pulsation dampener for MBC at 130K. I got to give it sunroof rails this summer when the roof decided to stick open. That was a treat.
This car is very much improved over the 221 S-65.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
W221 s65 , w220 s55
The car looks mint cosmetically ( I had inquired about her for my cousin .. decided to buy G63) . There is an inspection report from 22’ that shows quite a bit about how she is . Ask them for current inspection report or do PPI . Get it OP and get injected by the V12 AMG drug lol
Old 09-24-2024, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 65
Sly,

I purchased a 2015 S65 Sedan this past April.

BLUF: I absolutely love the vehicle, it's an amazing masterpiece. With that said...lol I think it really depends on the source you are buying from. I purchased mine through Carvana, which is not my first purchase through them and the fact that they had a nationwide network was really what allowed me to even find an S65 on the market. Unfortunately, Carvana is not what it used to be. The purchase process was OK, it was delivered when it was promised to be delivered, and overall, the process was pretty easy. However, the issues with the vehicle were pretty well hidden and have turned out to be considerable. I would not chalk this up to simply being a "common" issue on these vehicles. Rather I would chalk it up to a suspect (at best) process of their however many point inspection that they claim to conduct. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and I could tell you this car had zero inspection and barely had a cleaning. I find myself in a position now with a vehicle that has some issues that Carvana should have repaired. I am still fighting with them to do so but I'm not holding my breath. For example, Carfax listed it as having a mild front-end collision that was repaired to standard. So of course, when I showed up it was the first thing I looked at. Things looked pretty good, but as the weeks passed little things kinda started to clue me into it being an issue. When I really started to dig into it I realized that whoever wrecked it and had it repaired, did so by a middle school shop class apparently. The only issue that made me take it to the shop so far has been one of the sensors for the suspension air system. I noticed one side of my vehicle was about an inch higher than the other. For whatever reason, it took Mercedes 18 days to figure that issue out, which was insane to me, especially since they had their shop Forman working on the vehicle the entire time. Regardless, the night before I had my appointment to drop it off, it started pissing coolant. So instead of driving it to the dealership, I had it towed because I only had about 100 miles left on the warranty and I figured, why not let them fix whatever the issue is. It turned out that the harmonic balancer had somehow gotten a little loose and rubbed a hole in the water pump. And so those things had to be replaced. The only continuous issues that I have been having, that I've yet to really dig into because I just haven't had the time (and its Florida and still hotter than a swamp monsters butt-crack and about as humid) is the pre-safe features going off consistently. Initially it was only when I drove it during heavy rain. However, it now happens when it's completely dry outside, the pre-safe system will generate a warning sometimes immediately and sometimes not at all. Not sure what the gremlin is, but I'll get to it at some point. I think that there's a lot of people that steer clear of these vehicles, especially because of the complexities of the technological systems as well as well as the engineering (which is fantastic for those of us that can't drop a quarter million on a car!), couple that with the pretty high price for repair parts and you have a huge value. For example, Mercedes estimated $13,000 for four rotors and pads. I would have laughed if I wasn't so dumbfounded. Brakes are one of the easiest things you can do on a vehicle. And so, I did those myself. That brings me to the point that if you're comfortable with maintenance or with mechanics or you have the bank account to sustain potential repairs, then I say jump into that bad boy and enjoy the ride. I would recommend an extended warranty for sure! Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
rockykhan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
997 GT3
OP I just got mine delivered today…I’ll reply with initial impressions in a week!

The following 2 users liked this post by shellb:
carlosinseattle (Yesterday), rockykhan (Today)