Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

I survived. This is my testimonial.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R320, GL320, E320cdi's, 500SEL Pullman
I survived. This is my testimonial.

2007, brand new GL320cdi. 1800 miles. Came to an unexpected abrupt stop at speed. Pictures tell all. (The dome up top is a rear DirecTV Dish - everyone asks)

All four doors opened without a problem still. As a matter of fact, the passenger cell wasnt damaged that much, but the dash was bent inside.

I got 4 broken ribs, and 2 broken wrists. TELE-AID did NOT deploy as my dealer (Schumacher European in Scottsdale) never faxed the information to MB. Surprisingly, one week after my replacement GL320 has been in my driveway - Fletcher Jones in LV hasnt faxed the form either. (I tried to hit the I button today on the replacement)

But I am alive, have my replacement GL thanks to insurance. Wouldnt consider any other SUV after this.
Attached Thumbnails I survived. This is my testimonial.-img006.jpg   I survived. This is my testimonial.-img007.jpg   I survived. This is my testimonial.-img008.jpg   I survived. This is my testimonial.-img011.jpg  

Last edited by 07_R & G 320's; 01-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Wow. That's a anasty wreck. Good to hear you came out with only a few broken bones. Do you think your wrists might have been spared if you let go of the wheel at the last minute? I've seen rally/F1 drivers let go of the wheel and cross their arms when a collision is inevitable.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
How fast were you going? I'm glas you made it out okay.

E
Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Glad you're OK. What happened?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Heilbronn am Neckar, Deutschland; Cape Coral, Florida
C123 TurboDiesel - 1985
what a crash!!!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
What did you hit?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Were you wearing your seatbelt? How did you get the broken bones? It looks like the cabin was untouched. Good to see the Benz did its job and kept you alive.
What did you hit? was it another car? How did the other car fare?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
If it was another car I would like to see it!

In my experience, that kind of damage to a Benz would cause...catastrophe to the other party.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

R320, GL320, E320cdi's, 500SEL Pullman
Well I dont remember alot of the accident. It's all a blur. I woke up in the hospital. I was on my way to work Sunday morning, stone cold sober, and I think I dropped my cell phone. (My hand free phone was delivered 2 days later - ugh). I always wera a seat belt, never putting a car in gear without it. Anyway - witness reports say I was doing 35 in a 45 zone, didnt brake, and slammed into the back of a city bus.

The car was insured for a few days, and kudos that I got another so quick, but this was my first accident in over 400,000 miles of driving.

Moral of story? Screw cell phones. They are for MY convenience, not the person calling. They can go to voice mail or wait. In most states it's illegal to use one while driving, thats not law here - yet. But this is what happens when you dont pay attention... you get slammed.

The ribs probably came from the airbags, and the wrists also. Knees slightly knocked, not bad. Got a nasty bruise on my left butt, dont know how, and a line down my left face, again dont know how.

I woke up in the Emergency Room. My Nephew was home from Iraq on R&R Leave, and I was released to his care. I ran on adrenalin for 5 days, not thinking I was that badly hurt. After 16 days, I hurt more than ever.

I always took pride in being cautious and took due care. My led foot disappeared years ago. I stop at red lights (a novelty here in Arizona). I give traffic a break, and let people in. If there is a bottleneck, I go slower or faster to break it up and let people pass. I am cognizant of my surroundings, remembering who is in my blind spots. HOWEVER, being human, this is one time I just wasn't there 100%. I am lucky to be alive.

I agree that the damage looks like I was doing MUCH faster than 35. The speed limit is 45 there. On December 31st - Sunday - there was no traffic, except for that little bus... lol. I could have easily be doing 45 or more, but I can only go with witness reports, I just have no knowledge of anything.

Last edited by 07_R & G 320's; 01-16-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by 07_R & G 320's
Well I dont remember alot of the accident. It's all a blur. I woke up in the hospital. I was on my way to work Sunday morning, stone cold sober, and I think I dropped my cell phone. (My hand free phone was delivered 2 days later - ugh). I always wera a seat belt, never putting a car in gear without it. Anyway - witness reports say I was doing 35 in a 45 zone, didnt brake, and slammed into the back of a city bus.

The car was insured for a few days, and kudos that I got another so quick, but this was my first accident in over 400,000 miles of driving.

Moral of story? Screw cell phones. They are for MY convenience, not the person calling. They can go to voice mail or wait. In most states it's illegal to use one while driving, thats not law here - yet. But this is what happens when you dont pay attention... you get slammed.

The ribs probably came from the airbags, and the wrists also. Knees slightly knocked, not bad. Got a nasty bruise on my left butt, dont know how, and a line down my left face, again dont know how.

I woke up in the Emergency Room. My Nephew was home from Iraq on R&R Leave, and I was released to his care. I ran on adrenalin for 5 days, not thinking I was that badly hurt. After 16 days, I hurt more than ever.

I always took pride in being cautious and took due care. My led foot disappeared years ago. I stop at red lights (a novelty here in Arizona). I give traffic a break, and let people in. If there is a bottleneck, I go slower or faster to break it up and let people pass. I am cognizant of my surroundings, remembering who is in my blind spots. HOWEVER, being human, this is one time I just wasn't there 100%. I am lucky to be alive.

I agree that the damage looks like I was doing MUCH faster than 35. The speed limit is 45 there. On December 31st - Sunday - there was no traffic, except for that little bus... lol. I could have easily be doing 45 or more, but I can only go with witness reports, I just have no knowledge of anything.

Damn......were there people on the bus? Got any pics of the bus?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Almost a Member!

85 380SE, 00 Tundra V8 SR5 4wd, 73 Pontiac Grand Ville, 69 Chevrolet Caprice, 89 Pontiac Safari
Good to hear you were not seriously injured. Had you been in a smaller car, you may have been killed, as the car would have surely went under the bus and you could have been beheaded. Its a scary thought I am sure.

I agree. I NEVER talk on my cell when I am driving. If it sounds, I let it alarm until I stop somewhere. I almost had an accident once because of it and I then made a vow that I would never talk on the phone while driving ever again!

I also agree, it looks like you may have been going much faster from the damage I see. However, I am sure that the back of that bus was solid and absorbed none of the impact. Still, seems like a lot of damage for 35 mph. Example- here is a 2001 C240 Mercedes in the IIHS test- where the LF side of the car was ran into the barrier at 40 mph. As you can see, there was very little damage to the car and the LF took the entire impact. Had the entire front had of absorbed it (like yours did), there would have been even less damage.

and here is the link to the M-Class:
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=124

I am not saying the spectators were incorrect, but if I were guessing, it looks more like a 50 mph+ crash to me.

I imagine that insurance on that SUV was rather costly to start with - did they increase your insurance even more? Hope not- especially since it was your first crash.

Any photos of that damaged instrument panel? It may be from where your knees hit it, or where the engine was coming into the firewalls. I bet it took you awhile to relax at the wheel after the crash didn't it?

Did it have knee airbags as well? I know that many upscale SUVs are now offering knee airbags (as well as the Toyota Camry and Avalon and Lexus models).

[QUOTE=07_R & G 320's;1940697] Screw cell phones. They are for MY convenience, not the person calling.

I agree that the damage looks like I was doing MUCH faster than 35. QUOTE]
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
4 Broken ribs and 2 broken wrists and you want more ? I dont know about you but I know for a fact that such injuries are sensitive for life. As you get older you will feel them even more. What about a lighter and more agile car ?

I dont even know why Mercedes make such stupidly large cars for suburban driving. They are just into it because everyone else is.

Last edited by benzmodz; 01-21-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by benzmodz
4 Broken ribs and 2 broken wrists and you want more ? I dont know about you but I know for a fact that such injuries are sensitive for life. As you get older you will feel them even more. What about a lighter and more agile car ?

I dont even know why Mercedes make such stupidly large cars for suburban driving. They are just into it because everyone else is.
Because it can tow and haul stuff in luxury!!

Would you rather have him crash into the bus in a C?
Old 01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by AsianML
Because it can tow and haul stuff in luxury!!

Would you rather have him crash into the bus in a C?
Rather pointless discussing this with someone who doesnt even drive.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

85 380SE, 00 Tundra V8 SR5 4wd, 73 Pontiac Grand Ville, 69 Chevrolet Caprice, 89 Pontiac Safari
Im confused.....
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Rather pointless discussing this with someone who doesnt even drive.
not quite. seems he may recall his physics with more clarity.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by raymond g-
not quite. seems he may recall his physics with more clarity.
Which physics are we talking about ? Snooker ***** and perfect elastic collisions or crash science ?

About 90% of people seem to think momentum is conserved as vehicle motion in a car accident. I have this debate about once a year with someone who likes to tread on logic.

Does a crash into a concrete block at 60 MPH represent a head on collision with another car at 60MPH. Most people say no saying that the crash fairy told them it would be 120MPH in real life and yet car makers use the data to build safer cars.

Is someone going to debate with me that the S-Class or E-Class would have given the same injuries ?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Which physics are we talking about ? Snooker ***** and perfect elastic collisions or crash science ?

About 90% of people seem to think momentum is conserved as vehicle motion in a car accident. I have this debate about once a year with someone who likes to tread on logic.

Does a crash into a concrete block at 60 MPH represent a head on collision with another car at 60MPH. Most people say no saying that the crash fairy told them it would be 120MPH in real life and yet car makers use the data to build safer cars.

Is someone going to debate with me that the S-Class or E-Class would have given the same injuries ?
You seem to forget that a bus was part of this accident. You know, depending on the kind of bus, you'd be looking straight into the rear bumper of it in a C. They're really tall in case you haven't noticed.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
They're really tall in case you haven't noticed.
Chuck another shrimp on the the barbie!!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
You seem to forget that a bus was part of this accident. You know, depending on the kind of bus, you'd be looking straight into the rear bumper of it in a C. They're really tall in case you haven't noticed.
I seem to recall that when a phone falls on the floor of a c-class I can reach down and pick it up.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM

'06 E55
I seem to recall that when a phone falls on the floor of a c-class I can reach down and pick it up.
I seem to recall your a Jackass. Set down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. You seem much more intelligent when your not posting.

07_R & G 320's- Glad to hear your ok. That is one nasty wreck. Bluetooth my friend, bluetooth.

Last edited by Archi; 01-22-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Buddy what's your problem?
AML learning to drive, that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the concepts of physics and the concept of safe driving.....why did Mercedes create a GL? Simple there's a demand in the market for it so ask yourself why does the consumer what a vehicle that size?

I suppose you hate minivans too...Why on earth create a minivan?

BTW you should be using blue tooth or some form of hands free when driving, can't do it then pull over and talk! I also recall that once in a while if you drop your phone it'll get caught behind the brake pedal
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

some people happen to require a large car....what's the purpose of an S class, or and E class or even a C class I mean a B or A class is very small and perfect for urban driving right?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Looks like you made Curt Rich's January 2007 newsletter !

http://www.curtrich.com/january2007.html
Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I wouldn't feel bad. We all screw up driving sometimes. Many are just lucky nothing happens....at least you are OK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I survived. This is my testimonial.