Sport Auto M5C vs GT63S vs RS7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Sport Auto M5C vs GT63S vs RS7

Posted on Bimmerpost in the F90 M5 section and in German, but the numbers speak for themselves. Worth a read

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1688615
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Well... I would first recognize my own bias...

I am looking at the numbers and questioning choices and values given. While both cars scored the same on KG/PS rating, why is this even a thing? Who cares what KG/PS it offers? The track time vs slalom figures pretty much confirms that the GT 4 Door has a more compliant suspension compared to ars like the M5 Competition, which gives it slightly slower slalom numbers but superior track times due to better grip in varied conditions. The M5C will of course feel a tad crisper on the turn in.

Also, 2 points difference???

Price/value obviously goes to M5C if performance is the key. It's a fine car!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Just another argument showing the M as the best value/performance proposition and the GT63 while a great car on it’s own, a very overpriced car in comparison.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Here is Auto BILD's review--- they chose the AMG by a close margin. Its pick your poison understanding the value or lack of it. Seeing that i personally can get a car for close to 40k off, I might chose the GT63S over the M5 CE for reasons outside of sheer performance. The really issue with all these comparos is why isnt the Audi showing up better?

And since I have a tuned F90 M5 which is faster than a CE M5 I am still piqued by the GT63S at the right price of course!!

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1685628

Last edited by Vic55; 02-05-2020 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

We were considering the GT63s vs the M8 Comp. Coupe and just couldn't overlook the difference in cost. Actually wanted to have a coupe anyway as we don't really need a 4 door sedan.

The GT63s has grown on me though. With spacers and a drop that car looks pretty cool. But then again, the M8 is comfy (happy wife ) and it's faster than the GT63s on the road and on track...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We were considering the GT63s vs the M8 Comp. Coupe and just couldn't overlook the difference in cost. Actually wanted to have a coupe anyway as we don't really need a 4 door sedan.

The GT63s has grown on me though. With spacers and a drop that car looks pretty cool. But then again, the M8 is comfy (happy wife ) and it's faster than the GT63s on the road and on track...
Yep but I have had multiple S63TU's and I am not a pro driver so the negligible times are not material to me. I love the exhaust note on the GT63S but still need to drive it yet again as the F90 tuned felt alot faster. What car is faster on the ring? Ive only seen the M8 beat it on one posting but then again, its a coupe and the GT63S is a big fatty LOL.

Im looking at an M8 CE btw.... dang decisions.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vic55
Yep but I have had multiple S63TU's and I am not a pro driver so the negligible times are not material to me. I love the exhaust note on the GT63S but still need to drive it yet again as the F90 tuned felt alot faster. What car is faster on the ring? Ive only seen the M8 beat it on one posting but then again, its a coupe and the GT63S is a big fatty LOL.

Im looking at an M8 CE btw.... dang decisions.
Sport Auto did the hot lap on the Hockenheim with all these cars, so it's a nice comparison...
But in the end nobody buys these for track duty. That said, it's quick on the road even with snow tires
The exhaust makes the biggest difference; our E63s still delivers a more visceral driving experience

BMW M8 Competition: 1.53,1 min
Mercedes-AMG GT 63S: 1.53.4 min
BMW M5 Competition: 1.54.2 min
Audi RS7 Sportback: 1.57.3 min (latest model)

Old 02-06-2020, 09:41 AM

2021 CLA 250
Come on, guys. If value was important, the GT 4Door wouldn't exist. Everyone would just get their E63S and be done with it. I certainly could have gotten one of those instead of my slower GT 53.

What follows is highly subjective. In the two months that I've had my GT 53, I've only seen one other one, in rural VA of all places. Its wide stance and squat proportions give it a lot of presence. At this price level, I want a car that looks good on the outside and the inside, and play to my vanity of wanting to be unique. The M5 does not give me this. The interior on the M5 competition also is much less exciting to me than the GT 4Door, or the E class for that matter. MB's interior for now has a much more sculpted and harmonious look, with natural/organic contours that stitch together the different functional elements, each of which fits more or less naturally in their place. The design of the M5's interior is much more disorganized, with jumbled shapes, discontinuous blocks with no sense of coherency. Again, this is highly subjective. It's not about the technology, but the design in terms of placement, shapes, material, texture, and color.

At this price range, and since these are drive on the street, d*ck measuring about track times and absolute lateral grip are a bit beside the point. To be sure, none of these cars are pedestrian in terms of their performance (except for the GT 53, I still have to watch out for the occasional fast Kia, lol). It's much more about the combined sense of enjoyment as you drive the car. If you don't care as much about exclusivity, and find that the M5's exterior/interior perfectly acceptable, then save the money and get that. If you are like me, bite the bullet and pay the premium for the GT 4 Door.
drtdvl (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NovaOne
Come on, guys. If value was important, the GT 4Door wouldn't exist. Everyone would just get their E63S and be done with it. I certainly could have gotten one of those instead of my slower GT 53.

What follows is highly subjective. In the two months that I've had my GT 53, I've only seen one other one, in rural VA of all places. Its wide stance and squat proportions give it a lot of presence. At this price level, I want a car that looks good on the outside and the inside, and play to my vanity of wanting to be unique. The M5 does not give me this. The interior on the M5 competition also is much less exciting to me than the GT 4Door, or the E class for that matter. MB's interior for now has a much more sculpted and harmonious look, with natural/organic contours that stitch together the different functional elements, each of which fits more or less naturally in their place. The design of the M5's interior is much more disorganized, with jumbled shapes, discontinuous blocks with no sense of coherency. Again, this is highly subjective. It's not about the technology, but the design in terms of placement, shapes, material, texture, and color.

At this price range, and since these are drive on the street, d*ck measuring about track times and absolute lateral grip are a bit beside the point. To be sure, none of these cars are pedestrian in terms of their performance (except for the GT 53, I still have to watch out for the occasional fast Kia, lol). It's much more about the combined sense of enjoyment as you drive the car. If you don't care as much about exclusivity, and find that the M5's exterior/interior perfectly acceptable, then save the money and get that. If you are like me, bite the bullet and pay the premium for the GT 4 Door.

I will have to disagree with some of your points. Performance in a performance car matters and track times are a reflection of the cars capability and composure at the limit. I am less concerned about exclusivity even though we have had the only Edition 1 E63s in the state. Eventually somebody else got a used one but I have never seen it. Similar experience with the AMG GTC. All these cars are rare birds in our state.
On a subjective level, one should get the car they like the most. IMO, the GT 63s just isn't special enough, or fast enough and can't handle well enough to command a $60k premium over the E63s (or the M5). That kind of premium has to be earned somehow. $20k would be a no-brainer. So for the right deal the car can be extremely attractive.
drtdvl (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 01:27 PM

2021 CLA 250
Not having put my money where my mouth is and buying a 63s, I'll default to your assessment that the 63s is overpriced.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Not having put my money where my mouth is and buying a 63s, I'll default to your assessment that the 63s is overpriced.
Hope you didn't read this to be critical against your car! Was not meant that way. In fact AMG has done it right on the 53's IMO. They placed a $23k delta between the E53 and GT53 and that feels about right.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Hope you didn't read this to be critical against your car! Was not meant that way. In fact AMG has done it right on the 53's IMO. They placed a $23k delta between the E53 and GT53 and that feels about right.
Sadly trunk money didnt occur yet again for the GT63S's- my buddy called them "Paperweights" but come March, the factory will see the abundance of these cars sitting much like the GTC A's and Non A's and fire out some trunk love. Im at 140k right now on an msrp of 180 and probably will see another 10k- at 130k its worth all the cheddar IMHO.

Woflgang, whats a fair discount on the M8? 15%? More?

Last edited by Vic55; 02-06-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vic55
Sadly trunk money didnt occur yet again for the GT63S's- my buddy called them "Paperweights" but come March, the factory will see the abundance of these cars sitting much like the GTC A's and Non A's and fire out some trunk love. Im at 140k right now on an msrp of 180 and probably will see another 10k- at 130k its worth all the cheddar IMHO.

Woflgang, whats a fair discount on the M8? 15%? More?
I'd say 20% on the M8 is easy ($3k loyalty included)
Which is crazy given that these cars just landed mid/end October on dealer lots and it's a current model year.
BMW just overloaded their dealer network with all these $150k-$180k cars. Not your typical BMW sale...

A GT63s at $130k would be so tempting
Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 AM

2021 CLA 250
Haha, no worries, I didn't read it like that. So far I'm enjoying myself. The car has 1500 miles on it, I'm trying to learn how to make it crackle and pop on demand. Even my teenagers think I am imature.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes benz gt53 4 door

Totally agree. I own gt53 and was considering an m5 for the same price. However, to me the m5 interior does nothing for me. It is a 5 series with a crazy motor. It is a badasss car but everyone has their own preference. For me, Id prefer a slower car(gt53 over m5) but way more exclusive. The 53 has plenty of speed for me. IMO, the GT4door is one of the hottest looking cars on the road (53,63,63s)