Sponsored by:

How Long is Too Long in the Shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
How Long is Too Long in the Shop?

I was hit but not too badly by a kid that had been smoking dope. The car is a 2022 Brabus GT63S with Brabus 700 package. The front bumper, grill, splitter, and 1 headlight need to be replaced. I am assuming the sensors etc need to be replaced. They have had my car for nearly 7 months. How long is too long? I've never had an accident never had a claim so I have no idea how long. They keep telling me there is a part they are waiting on but not which one. They are slow to update or respond to me at all. Generally really bad service for such a pricey car and supposedly high end shop. I am guessing this is too long. I wanted a quick sanity check before I reach out demand the car back and get it fixed elsewhere even if I have to pay out of pocket. The issue is this it is up in Pompano beach and I am in Miami and due to work schedule hard to get up there in person.

Car pic tax

The day I picked it up.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
7 months for that stuff!? Wow.....

I would have been fed up after 1 month for that.
The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (07-31-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:14 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by mjr24
7 months for that stuff!? Wow.....

I would have been fed up after 1 month for that.
Ok thanks I've never dealt with Brabus or had repair so wasn't sure.
Old 07-30-2024, 08:19 AM

Received 375 Likes on 260 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Is it possible the Brabus parts are just not in stock? This is a two week repair with in stock parts. Have you contacted Brabus personally to ask? Might take some work on your end. That’s the downside of custom items, you never know if they will be available again.
Old 07-30-2024, 08:25 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
Is it possible the Brabus parts are just not in stock? This is a two week repair with in stock parts. Have you contacted Brabus personally to ask? Might take some work on your end. That’s the downside of custom items, you never know if they will be available again.
I'll definitely reach out. Not sure what part is missing. The difficulty is my work has me going out of the country sometimes with little advance warning. I have been over in Africa for a good deal of the time and couldn't really communicate with them except when we got back to a large city. Anyhow, going to London next week for 2 weeks. I am going to tell them they have that amount of time and if not done I'll get someone with a flatbed to go pick it up. I'll find someone else to fix it if is still lacking.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:05 PM

Received 375 Likes on 260 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
I'll definitely reach out. Not sure what part is missing. The difficulty is my work has me going out of the country sometimes with little advance warning. I have been over in Africa for a good deal of the time and couldn't really communicate with them except when we got back to a large city. Anyhow, going to London next week for 2 weeks. I am going to tell them they have that amount of time and if not done I'll get someone with a flatbed to go pick it up. I'll find someone else to fix it if is still lacking.
if you were to go with non Brabus parts in the meantime while waiting, I’d think it could get done fast. Based on the car I’m assuming that could be in you budget. Good luck

good luck
Old 07-30-2024, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
If parts are not available, there isn't really an upper limit for how long it takes. Early Tesla owners famously had their cars in the body shops for 12+ months, because Tesla had no spare parts. Every part they made was already earmarked for a car on the production line and from what I'm hearing it isn't much better these days. If it's a Brabus part I'm guessing it's the same deal. Pretty sure Brabus doesn't sit on an inventory of spare parts. They are not a high volume seller. At least this shop should tell you what part they are waiting for and whether it's an MB or a Brabus part, so you could try to source it while they are waiting for it. Pulling the car out of there might not be the best idea, though. Wherever you gonna take it, they'll have to order the same part, and their order will be at the back of the queue, so you might wait another 7+ months.
Old 07-30-2024, 03:00 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by superswiss
If parts are not available, there isn't really an upper limit for how long it takes. Early Tesla owners famously had their cars in the body shops for 12+ months, because Tesla had no spare parts. Every part they made was already earmarked for a car on the production line and from what I'm hearing it isn't much better these days. If it's a Brabus part I'm guessing it's the same deal. Pretty sure Brabus doesn't sit on an inventory of spare parts. They are not a high volume seller. At least this shop should tell you what part they are waiting for and whether it's an MB or a Brabus part, so you could try to source it while they are waiting for it. Pulling the car out of there might not be the best idea, though. Wherever you gonna take it, they'll have to order the same part, and their order will be at the back of the queue, so you might wait another 7+ months.
Yep that is the issue- it is what it is as far as parts go. The problem is lack of comms. I'll send a text every two weeks when I am able and usually get no response. I wrongly assumed a supposed approved Brabus shop would communicate and at least respond. I honestly haven't been a dick about it and I feel I've been patient but I am in the states for a week or so and am hoping to hear back.

I honestly have no idea what part it is or I'd see what could be done I did get a text about 3 weeks ago. I called when I was in whatever city I was in and they promised to send me info- still nothing. Clear comms are just really important.

Thanks for the info. Totally get it!
Old 07-31-2024, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss

Yeah, but looking at the parts....the headlight and bumper are still stock parts. Isn't the Brabus grille literally just the stock grille with a different emblem?

It seems the only actual Brabus part is the splitter. Regardless, for what you pay for those parts....Brabus should be making them immediately. I always thought their stuff was overrated anyways.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:07 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by mjr24
Yeah, but looking at the parts....the headlight and bumper are still stock parts. Isn't the Brabus grille literally just the stock grille with a different emblem?

It seems the only actual Brabus part is the splitter. Regardless, for what you pay for those parts....Brabus should be making them immediately. I always thought their stuff was overrated anyways.
Yeah I actually would prefer to have the mercedes emblems- I had a guy at the Biltmore trying to show off for his gal- saw the B on the car and walks up and says why are you rebadging a Mercedes to look like a Bentley. LOL

I do however enjoy the 700 horsepower and exhaust is perfect. Throaty when traveling on the highway and fairly subdued in town. There is active aero in the front grill area so I am assuming it is some type of actuator or something proprietary. Not sure still waiting to hear back.