Sponsored by:

koni yellow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e55 amg
koni yellow

going to be ordering some koni yellow adjustables. was wondering if they came with the dust shields and everything else thats needed to install. if not can i use what ever is on my bilstien shocks?

fronts=8041 1317 Sport

rear=8041 1318 sport
thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...hock-pics.html

Check out my thread from a couple of years ago. Let me know if you have any questions.

ddb
Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by ddb
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...hock-pics.html

Check out my thread from a couple of years ago. Let me know if you have any questions.

ddb
What is your long term thoughts with the shocks and springs? Anything to note?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
What is your long term thoughts with the shocks and springs? Anything to note?
Hey TG,

When I first installed the shocks, I planned on trying them out on all of the different settings. It never happened; they've been on the softest setting since the beginning. I was on the OE springs when I first installed them. Although the ride was harsher, I was happy with the ride and handling.

Since installing Vogtland springs, I'm more and more desiring a smoother ride. I love the ride height with the Vogtlands, and won't go back to the OE springs, but am considering making a change to get a smoother ride. I've thought about trying a set of FSD's, but haven't yet figured out if they make a set for our cars. Coilovers may be an option, but I haven't yet done any research.

The ride isn't terrible, and the handling is great, but at this stage, I wouldn't mind losing some handling for a smoother ride.

ddb
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 E430, 2002 ML55
Originally Posted by ddb
Hey TG,

When I first installed the shocks, I planned on trying them out on all of the different settings. It never happened; they've been on the softest setting since the beginning. I was on the OE springs when I first installed them. Although the ride was harsher, I was happy with the ride and handling.

Since installing Vogtland springs, I'm more and more desiring a smoother ride. I love the ride height with the Vogtlands, and won't go back to the OE springs, but am considering making a change to get a smoother ride. I've thought about trying a set of FSD's, but haven't yet figured out if they make a set for our cars. Coilovers may be an option, but I haven't yet done any research.

The ride isn't terrible, and the handling is great, but at this stage, I wouldn't mind losing some handling for a smoother ride.

ddb
I did the same as this. Have Koni yellows on stock springs and used to have them on Eibach springs. They were great for autocrosses and track days.

End of the day, the Koni's are set to their softest and I'd like to go back to OEM setup which will probably be much smoother/comfy.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by ddb

ddb
Originally Posted by SerbNerd
End of the day, the Koni's are set to their softest and I'd like to go back to OEM setup which will probably be much smoother/comfy.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been meaning to do this project but had a couple of car (driver) hiccups that set me behind on pulling the trigger while doing other repairs.

While I have not called Koni I think they only make FSD for W211 both FSD and Spring /FSD kit. Also I think the drop max for the shock is passed up by using the Vogtlands. However others have installed FSD even some with Votgland so how bad could it be not to be in spec?

Concerns me because mine is a daily driver and I suspect that I am looking for the same thing as you and SerbNerd- better handling when needed while not chipping teeth. On 19s with OEM I definitely feel every road imperfection so I cant imagine increasing what the two of you are saying having done this already.

SerbNerd, do you remember the part number did you used for the Eibach? I have not seen solid info on this either. Rippinitup was looking for it too.

Would the compromise be #1 pad, Eibach and FSD for ride height, handling and comfort?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 AM

2001 E430, 2002 ML55
Tall Giraffe

This was my E430 with #1 front pad and #2 rear pad, Eibach pro-kit (2557.140) and 17" monoblocks

E430 and E55 had the same suspension so these springs should work on E55's even though Eibach doesn't list them as available in their catalog. As long as you don't mind losing a bit of comfort and would like to keep up with others on the track / autocross, go for the Koni yellows.

One thing I must say is that my friend with a C43 is currently on Vogtlands + blistein (???B12 Pro-Kit???) and I really like how his car rides. They have the Nurburgring outline on them so they gotta be good hah

Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
i have the kony yellos and vogtland springs paired with spring pads F1/R4 on my c43 using 18 inch wheels.
ride is awesome, i always had the stiffest setup on my shox.

you want a gocart performance?
vogtland and koni = this is close to gocart performance

depends if your roads in america are bad with lots of potholes you might not like a stiffer ride, but then you shouldn't drive over potholes to screw your rims and tires!
roads in europe are mostly very good hence the pleasure of driving with stiff suspension.

i recommend the vogtlands and konis on an AMG.
you have a fast saloon, then you need the proper suspension to feel the synergy of driving fast
Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM

2001 e55 amg
thanks for all the info everyone. my plan was to go with the koni yellows and vogtland springs. with #3 pads for some clearance. kind of getting scared of the ride being too "rough" from some of the reviews.
i came across the shocks and springs on instagram last night. someone got them for their 210 e55. they are sort of a coilover to say. adjustable springs. the whole kit is around 750. has anyone ever heard of this company. pb brakes? here is the kit for the 210

Old 03-31-2016, 04:15 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by Rippinitup
thanks for all the info everyone. my plan was to go with the koni yellows and vogtland springs. with #3 pads for some clearance. kind of getting scared of the ride being too "rough" from some of the reviews.
i came across the shocks and springs on instagram last night. someone got them for their 210 e55. they are sort of a coilover to say. adjustable springs. the whole kit is around 750. has anyone ever heard of this company. pb brakes? here is the kit for the 210

I have the exact setup you describe: Koni Yellows, Vogtlands with #3 pads. I think Kowalski is correct, the car handles great, and the ride is nice on decent roads. Unfortunately, the roads in my city and state are jacked up. I want to keep my ride height but get a better ride.

A fellow forum members posted about the coil overs you showed above. I'm looking forward to hearing his review on them. I may be interested.

Last edited by ddb; 03-31-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM

2001 E430, 2002 ML55
Kit looks similar to the KSport coilover kit...I'm currently only running the adjustable perches. Not bad for 750

IMO the coilover kit is good if you like changing ride heights every so often. I daily my car and so for the winter I jack it up, come summer I bring her down. Obviously and alignment is needed every time you make a change
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 PM

2001 e55 amg
going to pull the trigger and order the koni's and vogtlands. i am going to keep #3 spring pads all around to get the desired height as @ddb has. should i reuse the ones that are on the car or just order new ones? and to confirm. the dust covers and everything else off these bilstiens i have i can use on the koni's? thanks again!!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:21 AM
ddb

2002 E55
Yes, you can absolutely reuse your spring pads. And you will be sble to reuse the Bilstein dust covers and bump stops.

Good luck and post some pics when you get them installed.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 AM

2001 e55 amg
got the konis and vogtland springs ordered. next is tires and a rear camber kit. thinking if i should get a few different size pads just to have if i want to play with the height.
in case anyone wants koni yellows they are on sale right now set of 4 for $450.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
got the konis and vogtland springs ordered. next is tires and a rear camber kit. thinking if i should get a few different size pads just to have if i want to play with the height.
Which camber kit did you go with? generic? or name brand?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 PM

2001 e55 amg
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
Which camber kit did you go with? generic? or name brand?
bought them from a member here on the forums
Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 PM

2001 e55 amg
got the shocks, springs and camber arms in. just waiting on new pads. might go ahead and install the shocks till the pads come. but im thinking it might be easier to do the springs with the shocks out the way.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Nice! Even the cat can't wait for the install!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'99 E55t AMG
With the right spring compressor, the shocks aren't in the way at all. I've changed spring pads on mine and don't remember the shocks being an issue as they stayed put.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:17 PM

2001 E430, 2002 ML55
got the shocks, springs and camber arms in. just waiting on new pads. might go ahead and install the shocks till the pads come. but im thinking it might be easier to do the springs with the shocks out the way.
So shiny and new!

Yea the spring compressor would help a bunch. I know for my car, I disconnect shock on lower control arm + sway bay and I usually can get enough droop to get the spring out with the compressor.

If you dont want to use the compressor, put a jack under the control arm near the lower ball joint, loosen lower control arm bolts and take off upper control arm to spindle nut. Then use a jack to slowly lower the control arm and release the spring. THIS IS KINDA DANGEROUS so please be careful!!! I always recommend using the right tool.

The rear is kinda similar story. Undo bolt for shock to lower control arm, place jack under where the control arm meets the chassis (closest to center of vehicle), undo bolt and take it out, then slowly lower jack to release tension in spring. IMO the spring compressor tool wont help much for the rear.

If you dont have the compressor, I have one I could loan you with deposit and shipping both ways. I'm in Indiana so not sure where you are.

Jeez, just wrote a novel
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
its easier to do the rear without a compressor. There is not much space so I just took the bolt out of the lower control arm and lowered it with a jack. When I tried to use a compressor in the rear I was not able to get the spring compressed enough to get it out.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 AM

210 e55
Hello, by the way, where did you buy them for that price? It's like 6-700 right now.

More importantly, hows the ride? I'm looking for shocks for stock springs.
Thanks in advance.