Sponsored by:

Help to make a dream come true for my 75 year old father

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Help to make a dream come true for my 75 year old father

Hello everyone with a heavy heart I ask for help.

My dad and I both own w211 e55's. I bragged on a high HP member's car on here for ages and after a ride he finally bit the bullet and got his own. He has a designo '06 and I got in as quick as I could with an '04 project PITA.

He had a TIA 2 years ago and another last month ( not as bad ) so I am aware after research now is the time to get in that father son project time or fun time.

We have had many late night discussions with a single malt talking about how fun it would be to chase each other around on the Road Atlanta course having seen lots of races there, but honestly anywhere would be great with touch of something special is what I am after.

Now is the time for me to give my dad a memory that means a bunch to both of us.

Any help or direction is appreciated on fulfilling this, with the gravity it would be nice if I could make it a little more personalized then the turn-style approach of pay for ticket get in...hence the post.

when there dirty:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

work in progress

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...hare_link_copy

kindly regards
Will
wpressly@gmail.com

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-28-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Where do you live?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
I can arrange to get you guys on Road Atlanta with a great group of guys. Let me know what I can do to help
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Where do you live?
Both of us are located in Charlotte NC
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
I can arrange to get you guys on Road Atlanta with a great group of guys. Let me know what I can do to help
Thanks so much, his birthday is in late September so I am shooting for around there. I cannot tell you how much this means and is greatly appreciated. I know it wil not be cheap but most things worth doing in life are not.

Just let me know what preperarions I need to make over the next month or two to get the track time scheduled, lead time needed etc.

Thanks kindly,
Will

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-29-2016 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Clarifying
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Just let me know what preperarions I need to make over the next month or two.

Thanks kindly,
Will[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking brake fluid flush at minimum. It absorbs water out of the atmosphere over time and dramatically lowers the boiling point of the fluid.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Road Atlanta will make any thing not 100% on the your car show up. I cooked quite a few sets of rotors/pads out there. I finally had to go to a dedicated track setup. That required two sets of everything. It was a pain in my *** swapping over the entire brake setup (rotors, pads, fluids, etc) the night before and doing a street test.

150MPH to 40MPH multiple times every 3 minutes will create heat. I had the rotors glowing red in broad daylight. Bright enough for others to notice!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
You don't say what experience you and your Dad have but your question about how to prepare makes me think maybe you're relative new to track events. Please understand that I do not want to throw a cold blanket on this terrific idea. But a dream weekend could become a nightmare if you have mechanical or physical problems. Be sure your Dad is medically cleared to participate in this activity, 30 minutes of high performance driving is strenuous. Also the toll on equipment can be high, I've seen it happen. What I would suggest is a Skip Barber one day course, you drive their cars and have a very high level of instruction. The "nightmare" possibilities are greatly reduced and they have courses at Road Atlanta. If you both enjoy the experience they have more advanced courses you could graduate into. The AMGs don't take a beating either. Best of luck to you and your Dad and let us know (pictures, too) how it all works out.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I would recommend the Porsche Driving Experience here in Atlanta. You can chase each other around in brand new Porsche's and let them deal with the wear and tear. We did the 911 Turbo VS GT3 last weekend and it was world class.

GT Academy will be next
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
I would recommend the Porsche Driving Experience here in Atlanta. You can chase each other around in brand new Porsche's and let them deal with the wear and tear. We did the 911 Turbo VS GT3 last weekend and it was world class.

GT Academy will be next
Also excellent, do some research and see what seems to fit your interests.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
You're not too far from the BMW plant near Spartanburg, SC. They have a BMW driving experience all day that ends with a race event. Okay, it's not a Mercedes event, but it's still a fun day of high performance driving less than two hours away... in THEIR cars, not yours.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:37 AM

2004 E55
Appreciate the help!!!

***editing later to clarify communication***

AC compressor install is taking my night away from getting caught up on this thread. Track time has been had in a few breeds nothing really nice or worth mentioning to you guys. I know enough to slow down first and enjoy it, it's not really a race just stretching the gals legs when we do it. It would be nice to make some memories and new friends along the way.

I get working and my wise a$$ neighbor stops to show me his progress.
Gotta love this guy and his gumption:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...RVbywtiF6NBQwV

In a 06 slk55 Nom Nom Nomm

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...MWWfwvxyi17a4S

Maybe he will let me borrow it that weekend for a lil fun that would be nice

Spartanburg has been fun... Dad is a MB guy seems it is easy to rub off. Moms got an I think 1994 E320 convertible, she is proud bc it is her 2nd one and it is rare. Call me picky but I kinda want to stick with the AMG crowd. I do go to Eurofest that used to be hosted at the BMW plant in Spartanburg there were fun wet dry slip and slide events. M5 super speed events 135 events the next year etc etc etc. All of which were to my liking and where only like $50-200 for a few laps of event track time or an autocross event. I know this will be more costly and I am excited for the worthy spend.

Porsche now that is something to consider. The old man is fond of bragging on his times not letting off the gas through the turns... So that is worth comsidering as well.

All this info including, considering his degrading health are all needed considerations

You guys all are rock stars! I think I got most questions answered in my rambles. Now on to the 3 bolts holding the AC compressor on sheesh that thing is buried in our E55s

Well wishes to all

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-29-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Dead links
Old 07-29-2016, 02:23 AM

2004 E55
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking brake fluid flush at minimum. It absorbs water out of the atmosphere over time and dramatically lowers the boiling point of the fluid.[/QUOTE]

She will need new rotors and pads all the way around + fluids etc...

I mean really from my experience so far, probably more, much more and at 2x the cost what I thought too... I am slowly learning the AMG truth. Like most enjoyable things you pay to play.

Long way to go to get all ready, just getting the ideas out, input and plans in motion

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-29-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Let me put it to you nicely. The W211 chassis is excellent. Don't get me wrong in any way on that part. They are very easy to drive on the track until you get near it's limits. It's not the tires, not the engine, you can't push those to the limit. The chassis will give up and become very unsettled.

It's not a track friendly chassis. It has some of the worst snap oversteer I have ever seen. It does not like to stop unless you have some of the most aggressive pads (Carbotech's) and you need to have a ton of heat in them (which means driving on the edge of the cars limit to keep hot). The engine loves to go in a straight line, the back does not.

I would look into a driving experience. It's not worth the 30% chance of chucking a car into the tire wall.

Call them up, explain the situation and maybe they can set something up for you. I learned more about the fundamentals and physics of driving in my 2 hour block than I ever could have imagined

https://www.porschedriving.com/centers/Atlanta

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 07-29-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:26 AM

2004 E55

Let me put it to you nicely...

I would look into a driving experience. It's not worth the 30% chance of chucking a car into the tire wall.

Call them up, explain the situation and maybe they can set something up for you. I learned more about the fundamentals and physics of driving in my 2 hour block than I ever could have imagined

https://www.porschedriving.com/centers/Atlanta

My 1st time at One @Porsche Drive in Atlanta, Georgia, now online - YouTube

Ummm seeing this is just completely unfair as now I have a mess to clean up in my pants.

We get to finalize what he wants to do tomorrow over dinner. It is not my 75th but his.

Point made, beat the ever living crap out of it and do not care, I get it. Really I do. PDE seems like the way to go for sure.

Learning..

That's why I am here blowing you all up for input and gonna do what you say! I just want to make a solid call and make it enjoyable and safe if that is what he chooses.

Whatever the choice, I will share and update!

Thanks all you guru's that jumped in.

Last edited by BoostedAero; 07-29-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
That looks like sooo much fun!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
That all looks like a blast but when your 75 hunting for cougars is safer.

They lounge in Florida all over the place.

Florida Panther

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by GatorMB:
Elhonaz (08-01-2016), TheTherapist (08-01-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I was going to remove that as it is poor taste for some but I was thinking of my father who is approaching 75 and these are his interest. somebody likes it anyways

I don't think he can climb trees anymore.

I really enjoyed the video in post 14 as I love to autocross with the P cars.

Early tech inspection

Autocross is not as easy as it looks but it is rewarding.
Most clubs will offer training and driver coaching. It helps for novice or beginner.
Many of the folks I race with are over 50 as well.

Cheers, Gator