Sponsored by:

New to me E55 failing inspection emissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55
New to me E55 failing inspection emissions

I just purchased an E55 out of state that has headers and no cats, with a eurocharged tune. It failed state inspection due to the o2 sensors reporting Not Ready. From what I have gathered ( not sure how accurate) the o2 sensors may be coded out of the tune, which is why they are reporting Not Ready instead of Failed, but I have no CEL, which again from what I have read indicates the o2 sensors have been disabled in STAR? Or would this be irrelevant if they are coded out in the tune? If I check for sensor voltage with a scanner would this still show up if they are coded out via the tune or STAR?

I am trying to determine the best course of action, from the USB and cable that came with the car it looks like the tune that's on it is Eurocharged V2 from 2013. Would it be beneficial to just purchase a new tune with Eurocharged (assuming that I am ineligible for any updates due to not being the original purchaser) , or is it possible to have a local tuner code back in the o2 sensors? (Are these tunes encrypted on the car or editable in this manner?) ( Assuming that is even the reason why they are reporting Not Ready)

I drove the car 1,000 miles home, and have been driving around since then, so I do not believe that they are reporting Not Ready because it has not met the drive cycle conditions

My goal is to pass Texas emissions, car drives great as is, but if I need to spend a few hundred dollars to do that with a local tuner or STAR regardless and there is added benefit to just buying a new tune, I would rather spend more to do that. Any input or explanation to how the system works that I may be ignorant to is appreciated. Thanks,

Last edited by corvettekyle; 05-04-2020 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ramodeys (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 04:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
CEL is probably on, but coded off.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:26 AM

e55
So that would indicate the o2 sensors need to be coded ON in the tune, and left OFF in STAR?

o2 coded OFF in tune and OFF in STAR = no CEL, but "Not Ready"

o2 coded ON in tune and OFF in STAR = no CEL, but "Ready"

Is that accurate?
Old 05-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by kcost
So that would indicate the o2 sensors need to be coded ON in the tune, and left OFF in STAR?

o2 coded OFF in tune and OFF in STAR = no CEL, but "Not Ready"

o2 coded ON in tune and OFF in STAR = no CEL, but "Ready"

Is that accurate?
I don't really get into tuning. I had Mercedes upgrade my software to the latest CL model at the dealer.

You'll have to talk with a tuner, but my guess is that you won't pass emissions without O2 sensors present.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 730 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Discussion of it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-possible.html
Old 05-08-2020, 08:06 AM

e55
Thanks for that link. Not sure how I did not find it earlier. This answered all of my questions, retune with o2 ON and coded OFF in STAR. Got the new tune loaded up and waiting for an appointment with STAR to finish it off and head to inspection. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Did this solve it for you?I have the exact same issue (also in Texas). I don’t know anyone with STAR, but I think my next step is to contact Eurocharged & see if they can help with this.

New to the platform and new to this type of problem. Trying to figure it out without dumping $ into it.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 730 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AlonsoB
Did this solve it for you?I have the exact same issue (also in Texas). I don’t know anyone with STAR, but I think my next step is to contact Eurocharged & see if they can help with this.

New to the platform and new to this type of problem. Trying to figure it out without dumping $ into it.
STAR is your friend. If in San Antonio area, PM me. If not, BenzNinja is costly but worth it.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
STAR is your friend. If in San Antonio area, PM me. If not, BenzNinja is costly but worth it.
It doesn’t let me PM you (probably because my profile is brand new). I’ll try to figure that out. So what you’re saying is that I need STAR for this? I am in north Houston, so I was planning to drive to Eurocharged & see what they can do.