E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lost key in house fire. How to hotwire so I can get to benz dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Lost key in house fire. How to hotwire so I can get to benz dealer?

So my key fob got lost In a house fire. Foud the valet key but that's not going to be doing me any good. My closest benz dealer is 2 hours away, and supposedly that's the only way I can get one
that would be an extremely expensive tow. Anyone got any ideas? Was thinking it may be possible to hotwire so I can drive there? I seen a youtube video of someone hot wiring a w212 but wondering if it would be the same on my 2003 e320 w212? Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,477 Posts
2019 C63CS
Sorry about the house fire. Hotwiring cars with electronic ignitions is not really possible anymore. Not sure what you saw on YouTube, but the car won't start unless it reads a valid code from a paired key. The key has a chip inside it and it is matched to your car's VIN. There are ways to hack it via ODB2, essentially you have to trick it into pairing a new key with which you can start the car. I've seen devices being used connected to ODB2 and fake a paired key or even pair a blank key fob. You have to have a blank, though, because once a key has been paired with a vehicle, it can't be paired with another. It's a one time process.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
The dealer doesn't need your 211 there for a new key. But they need you to be there with a valid picture I.D. and proof of ownership such as the title or registration. The key then has to be ordered which will take a couple days. Maybe they will be nice and mail it to you after you provide the proper documentation in person. Maybe they can order it over the phone prepaid and then release it to you in person with the documentation when it arrives. It does not need to be programmed after they receive it from MBUSA, it will start the car and unlock it right away.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 12-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM

2003 e320
Originally Posted by superswiss
Sorry about the house fire. Hotwiring cars with electronic ignitions is not really possible anymore. Not sure what you saw on YouTube, but the car won't start unless it reads a valid code from a paired key. The key has a chip inside it and it is matched to your car's VIN. There are ways to hack it via ODB2, essentially you have to trick it into pairing a new key with which you can start the car. I've seen devices being used connected to ODB2 and fake a paired key or even pair a blank key fob. You have to have a blank, though, because once a key has been paired with a vehicle, it can't be paired with another. It's a one time process.

Thanks for youre reply, and i heard that its is possible via odb2 but i beleive its pretty expensive equipment? correct me if im wrong because id love to know how. I contacted a few locksmiths that specializes in key fobs and most said they didnt have the equipment/benz dosent release the codes so they cant do it. also, heres the video i was referring to. he jumps it with some copper wire.-
Old 12-02-2020, 08:22 PM

2003 e320
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The dealer doesn't need your 211 there for a new key. But they need you to be there with a valid picture I.D. and proof of ownership such as the title or registration. The key then has to be ordered which will take a couple days. Maybe they will be nice and mail it to you after you provide the proper documentation in person. Maybe they can order it over the phone prepaid and then release it to you in person with the documentation when it arrives. It does not need to be programmed after they receive it from MBUSA, it will start the car and unlock it right away.
Thats awesome, are you 100% sure they dont need my car? everywhere i looked online said they did, which is the whole issue because it would be a $600 tow there. Im only 17 and i dont have an id and its only in my name on the title and bill of sale so id have to figure that part out. so essentially they order a key with my vin from my car and it works when it arrives? I wonder if i could fax everything to them instead of having to go all the way there? thanks for the reply btw!

Last edited by azer carrot; 12-02-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
They don't need the car present to get a key but....... It's policy to have the car present when they hand over the keys to you. You will need a title or official registration under your name to order a key. The key comes pre-programmed from the PDC. Another option is to remove your ignition switch and send it out. Where are you located??? I have all the equipment to program keys for Mercedes up to 2014. Send me a PM if you need more info.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBENZTECH:
Benzenator (01-21-2021), Lubo2018 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
Also check with the insurance company covering the property, the cost of the replacement key should be covered (and maybe the cost of the tow since it's required to obtain the key?). Keys that are simply lost usually aren't covered, but keys lost in a fire/flood/theft would just be another piece of personal property associated with that covered loss. Depends on the insurance policy though.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 485 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by azer carrot
Thats awesome, are you 100% sure they dont need my car? everywhere i looked online said they did, which is the whole issue because it would be a $600 tow there. Im only 17 and i dont have an id and its only in my name on the title and bill of sale so id have to figure that part out. so essentially they order a key with my vin from my car and it works when it arrives? I wonder if i could fax everything to them instead of having to go all the way there? thanks for the reply btw!
Don't have an ID? How about driver's license? If you don't have that, why bother with a car?

Has anyone mentioned that a new key will set you back about $500?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
E500 GL550 SL63 IWC
That also looks like the interior of a 70's or 80's MB which only had metal keys back then. Reminds me of my Dad's old 500SEL.

Referring to the interior of the car in the video posted...

Last edited by marcd7tx; 12-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,443 Likes on 954 Posts
No more MB:(
Something seems amiss here...
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
E55Greasemonkey (12-04-2020), rapidoxidation (12-03-2020), YasS (12-03-2020)
Old 04-30-2024, 07:08 PM

1997 Mercedes c280
Key

Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
They don't need the car present to get a key but....... It's policy to have the car present when they hand over the keys to you. You will need a title or official registration under your name to order a key. The key comes pre-programmed from the PDC. Another option is to remove your ignition switch and send it out. Where are you located??? I have all the equipment to program keys for Mercedes up to 2014. Send me a PM if you need more info.
​​​​​​
hey I lost my keys. Where you located? I own a 1997 Mercedes c280 flip out key like the slk
Old 04-30-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by places
Something seems amiss here...
I think rapidoxidation nailed it. How do you have car keys to a car(ostensibly to drive) and not have a driver’s license?
I admire trusting people, but my nature is to be skeptical, cynical, critical.
But I am working on it.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,151 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by MB2timer
I think rapidoxidation nailed it. How do you have car keys to a car(ostensibly to drive) and not have a driver’s license?
I admire trusting people, but my nature is to be skeptical, cynical, critical.
But I am working on it.
You don't need a license to buy a car. You just need a license to drive a car. You could have a learner's permit. Anyway if you read his other threads, looks like it was legit after all and he had other problems with the car that needed to be fixed.

On older cars, there are key programmers that locksmiths have that can program new keys for a Mercedes but some of the newer models use a different system so the key programmers don't work on the newer stuff. Locksmith might be cheaper than the dealer. Need to call around, some locksmiths charge more than the dealer.

But just remember, no matter how cynical you get, you just can't keep up!