GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

'23 GLE53 Noise at 1800-2k RPMs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'23 GLE53
Question '23 GLE53 Noise at 1800-2k RPMs

Hi All,

1st post, I have a new (10 month old) '23 GLE53 (purchased new in California). Since day 1 I have had an issue with what I can only describe as a hollow whistling noise that only happens when the car is at 1800-2k RPM's. If I hammer the gas it doesn't happen, it's only on normal smooth acceleration, and I can reliably replicate this every single time I drive it. It's at the dealer now as it also had an "e-active body control malfunction" last night, and it felt like the car had zero suspension (which is not part of this post, although reading here, this sounds like a bad problem to have).

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has this noise, I wish I could get it on audio, but the noise of the car supersedes recording it with my phone. Will drive it with the foreman if needed as I can replicate every time. Anyone with a similar issue, or anyone know what could be happening at those RPM's to make a hollow whistling noise (maybe some sort of vacuum leak)?

Either way, thanks for reading, glad I found this community.
Old 07-16-2024, 04:25 AM

GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by GLE531st
Hi All,

1st post, I have a new (10 month old) '23 GLE53 (purchased new in California). Since day 1 I have had an issue with what I can only describe as a hollow whistling noise that only happens when the car is at 1800-2k RPM's. If I hammer the gas it doesn't happen, it's only on normal smooth acceleration, and I can reliably replicate this every single time I drive it. It's at the dealer now as it also had an "e-active body control malfunction" last night, and it felt like the car had zero suspension (which is not part of this post, although reading here, this sounds like a bad problem to have).

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has this noise, I wish I could get it on audio, but the noise of the car supersedes recording it with my phone. Will drive it with the foreman if needed as I can replicate every time. Anyone with a similar issue, or anyone know what could be happening at those RPM's to make a hollow whistling noise (maybe some sort of vacuum leak)?

Either way, thanks for reading, glad I found this community.
I have the same issue, have you managed to find out what is causing this, or if this is normal?
Old 07-16-2024, 10:30 AM

'23 GLE53
Originally Posted by Moe Fardan
I have the same issue, have you managed to find out what is causing this, or if this is normal?
They had the car for a week or so for random stuff, and said they test drove another GLE53 and found it made the same noise. They said, again, they think it's the 48V battery spinning up (or whatever you would call it, charging up?) to deliver power. I wasn't there for the test drive, so I can only put belief in them telling the truth.
Old 07-16-2024, 11:02 AM

GLE 53 AMG
They had the car for a week or so for random stuff, and said they test drove another GLE53 and found it made the same noise. They said, again, they think it's the 48V battery spinning up (or whatever you would call it, charging up?) to deliver power. I wasn't there for the test drive, so I can only put belief in them telling the truth.

Thanks for the reply. This does make sense, but honestly, I have been watching some tests of the cars, and I can’t seem to hear the same noise. I have arranged a car test for the same model and will check it myself. I will keep you updated about this.
Old 07-16-2024, 11:50 AM

'23 GLE53
Originally Posted by Moe Fardan
Thanks for the reply. This does make sense, but honestly, I have been watching some tests of the cars, and I can’t seem to hear the same noise. I have arranged a car test for the same model and will check it myself. I will keep you updated about this.
Please let me know, I have my doubts and think I was just told this so I'd stop complaining about it. lol.
Old 07-16-2024, 02:12 PM

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
It sounds like the sound you are referring to is the turbo. This is normal.
Old 07-16-2024, 08:37 PM

'23 GLE53
Originally Posted by suby01
It sounds like the sound you are referring to is the turbo. This is normal.
No, it's not the turbo, I've had multiple cars with turbos and the turbo spool/whine is a common noise, this is not it. Really hard to describe the noise, but it is for sure not turbo related.
Old 07-20-2024, 04:40 AM

GLE 53 AMG
I can confirm that the other car has the same exact sound. I believe its the mild hybrid trying to deliver power. maybe some coil whine . sound like strange squeal or howling