Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off annoying Lane Assist steering wheel jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,229 Likes on 948 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Turn off annoying Lane Assist steering wheel jerk

I removed these instructions since they involved modifying a safety feature. I really don't know what else may be impacted by my instructions.

If you really want to remove the steering wheel jerk, please contact @BenzNinja who has years of experience making changes and testing them thoroughly before offering them to his members. Go to https://benzninja.com/special-tunes/ for a list of what can be done.

Last edited by JettaRed; 04-24-2024 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (04-25-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 865 Likes on 667 Posts
G550
The Launch scanner is a great tool for the money with its ability to code features such as lane departure. I've noticed several variants that use "available " and "not available" descriptors, and have been confused by these. Thinking that perhaps these terms were stating that the coding option was either available or not, rather than the variant status, I avoided tampering with them (active or inactive would seem more appropriate, but maybe the translation from German to Chinese to English is the cause). Thanks for exploring this and revealing their meaning.

Last edited by streborx; 04-23-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
The terminology is confusing. And it may mean both. For some variants, the option is unavailable because of missing hardware. For others, AVAILABLE and NOT AVAILABLE may mean ON and OFF, or active and inactive, as you suggest. I'm not going to mess around for the sake of seeing what happens, but in this case, I wanted the steering wheel rumble, but not the braking and steering wheel grab. In some cars, such as my daughters Honda CR-V, the lane keep is much more subtle. But in my SL400, it seemed almost dangerous. So, exploring how to configure to turn the brake grab off was worth it.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are examples of how the terminology for Value means different things. Sometimes there is no physical device that allows a certain feature and other times there are alternative features, such as Cruise Control versus Distronic versus DISTRONIC (PLUS).

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:36 AM

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
“Modifying a safety feature” that’s hilarious it’s hardly a safety feature, really dulls common sense
lane assist can be turned off through the cluster
Old 04-25-2024, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lthlc63
“Modifying a safety feature” that’s hilarious it’s hardly a safety feature, really dulls common sense
lane assist can be turned off through the cluster
If you think this change can be performed through the instrument cluster, then you don't understand what is going on. The modification I posted cannot be done without an external device, such as an SDS or other scanner.

The modification I performed was to actually disable and enable different features, without knowing what I was doing or what else might be impacted. Upon review, I decided that I was not going to recommend a process that might have unintended consequences. I'll accept risks for myself, but not for others.

You should experiment on your own and see what you come up with.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,686 Likes on 2,461 Posts
2019 C63CS
It would be helpful to clarify what exactly it was that you were after instead of schooling other members. It's not clear from this thread now that your first post is basically worthless. As stated above, lane keep assist can be turned off and once it's off, there's no vibrating/jerking of the steering wheel anymore. There are some differences between models. I believe in non-AMGs it turns back on with every engine cycle, but in my AMG once I turn it off, it stays off. I even have a physical button to the left of the steering wheel to turn it off instead of having to go into the settings. Many of us including myself have it turned off. Don't need a nanny to stay in my lane.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-25-2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 865 Likes on 667 Posts
G550
My '19 G550's owners manual describes the lane keeping function as having 3 settings available via the nav screen menu (Vehicle / Assistance / Active LKA / "Standard", "Adaptive", "Off"). There is no "Off" option on my truck. The only disable method is the push button below the headlight switch; and LKA is re-enabled upon every engine start. There are apparently variations among years and models, and JettaRed's caution should be taken seriously -- there are no guarantees that coding that works on one vehicle will work on another. And no matter how thorough and comprehensive a set of instructions is written, somebody will get it wrong. "Coding For Dummies" is a very short book that lists alternative forms of transportation for those who have bricked their cars. (no "lol" here, 'cause it's not funny).
Old 04-25-2024, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by superswiss
It would be helpful to clarify what exactly it was that you were after instead of schooling other members. It's not clear from this thread now that your first post is basically worthless. As stated above, lane keep assist can be turned off and once it's off, there's no vibrating/jerking of the steering wheel anymore. There are some differences between models. I believe in non-AMGs it turns back on with every engine cycle, but in my AMG once I turn it off, it stays off. I even have a physical button to the left of the steering wheel to turn it off instead of having to go into the settings. Many of us including myself have it turned off. Don't need a nanny to stay in my lane.
Schooling? Well, some folks may need it. I'm not the one who said my statement about possible safety risks was "hilarious". And clearly the purpose of my post is not understood since I deleted the original content which provided clarification and details to my modifications.

There are two levels of Lane Keep Assist. One level is that the steering wheel simply rumbles/vibrates when you inadvertently cross a lane marker, mimicking physical rumble strips that may mark the side of the road or the center line. You can turn it completely on or off through the Instrument Cluster. The other level is pretty much the same except that in addition to steering wheel vibration, the car will also apply the brakes on the opposite side to force you back into your lane. The YouTube video below demonstrates how this works. You can also turn this feature completely on or off through the Instrument Cluster, but you cannot simply turn off the braking and accompanying wheel jerk while keeping the simple steering wheel rumble.

I was able to make changes that allowed me to keep the steering wheel rumble/vibration when crossing a lane boundary WITHOUT the brakes being applied and the steering wheel jerking the car back into its travel lane. But, because I don't know what else I may have activated or deactivated by making my changes, I chose to remove the instructions, especially since it seems each model and year of Mercedes tend to do things a little differently. I hope that clears things up.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Schooling? Well, some folks may need it. I'm not the one who said my statement about possible safety risks was "hilarious". And clearly the purpose of my post is not understood since I deleted the original content which provided clarification and details to my modifications.

There are two levels of Lane Keep Assist. One level is that the steering wheel simply rumbles/vibrates when you inadvertently cross a lane marker, mimicking physical rumble strips that may mark the side of the road or the center line. You can turn it completely on or off through the Instrument Cluster. The other level is pretty much the same except that in addition to steering wheel vibration, the car will also apply the brakes on the opposite side to force you back into your lane. The YouTube video below demonstrates how this works. You can also turn this feature completely on or off through the Instrument Cluster, but you cannot simply turn off the braking and accompanying wheel jerk while keeping the simple steering wheel rumble.

I was able to make changes that allowed me to keep the steering wheel rumble/vibration when crossing a lane boundary WITHOUT the brakes being applied and the steering wheel jerking the car back into its travel lane. But, because I don't know what else I may have activated or deactivated by making my changes, I chose to remove the instructions, especially since it seems each model and year of Mercedes tend to do things a little differently. I hope that clears things up.
Yes, that makes sense. What you are describing is the difference between Lane Keep Assist and Active Lane Keep Assist. The former is the standard system and if the car has the Driver Assistance Package it gets upgraded to Active LKA. So basically what you want is just the standard LKA. One way to do that would have been not to option the Driver Assistance Package.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, that makes sense. What you are describing is the difference between Lane Keep Assist and Active Lane Keep Assist. The former is the standard system and if the car has the Driver Assistance Package it gets upgraded to Active LKA. So basically what you want is just the standard LKA. One way to do that would have been not to option the Driver Assistance Package.
Well, you get what you get if you don't special order the car. The other option is to configure the features to disable the Active LKA and enable the LKA.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Well, you get what you get if you don't special order the car. The other option is to configure the features to disable the Active LKA and enable the LKA.
You get what you buy. If you don't special order you can still choose from a nationwide inventory. Most people don't want to downgrade Active LKA to regular LKA. They want to turn it off altogether. The vibrating steering wheel is just as annoying as it occasionally mistakes cracks as lane markers and when two lanes merge down to one it buzzes if you merge a bit too early.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-26-2024 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 S 580; W223
I removed these instructions since they involved modifying a safety feature. I really don't know what else may be impacted by my instructions.

If you really want to remove the steering wheel jerk, please contact @BenzNinja who has years of experience making changes and testing them thoroughly before offering them to his members. Go to https://benzninja.com/special-tunes/ for a list of what can be done.
Generally the system allows deactivation via Menu Settings\Vehicle\Assistance; true for Mercedes Benz. Don't know about VW Jetta.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You get what you buy. If you don't special order you can still choose from a nationwide inventory. Most people don't want to downgrade Active LKA to regular LKA. They want to turn it off altogether. The vibrating steering wheel is just as annoying as it occasionally mistakes cracks as lane markers and when two lanes merge down to one it buzzes if you merge a bit too early.
Interesting. I have no buzzing or other audible warning. Mine is a 2015, so maybe the audible warning was added later.

When I bought the car, it was priced very well. I also wasn't going to fly to Chicago or someplace to pick a car up. So, I wanted something local. And, at the time, LKA wasn't even on my list. Only after getting the car did I discover that, unlike "simple" LKA on my 2014 C350, LKA on the SL was the Active version. I got the car in December 2021 and for the last couple of years, I did turn off LKA completely. But, I don't mind it, so I'm glad to figure it out. But I also keep getting some ESP faults stored, so I may return things to the way they were and just have @BenzNinja code it out. In conversations with him, he does not use my approach.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Interesting. I have no buzzing or other audible warning. Mine is a 2015, so maybe the audible warning was added later.

When I bought the car, it was priced very well. I also wasn't going to fly to Chicago or someplace to pick a car up. So, I wanted something local. And, at the time, LKA wasn't even on my list. Only after getting the car did I discover that, unlike "simple" LKA on my 2014 C350, LKA on the SL was the Active version. I got the car in December 2021 and for the last couple of years, I did turn off LKA completely. But, I don't mind it, so I'm glad to figure it out. But I also keep getting some ESP faults stored, so I may return things to the way they were and just have @BenzNinja code it out. In conversations with him, he does not use my approach.
It's not an audible warning. I was thinking of those buzzers at food restaurants that vibrate. Basically there are situations where it vibrates because it sees cracks in the road, faded old lane markers etc.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't rely entirely on the steering wheel to vibrate to know whether I have crossed into another lane or not. However, it's very helpful when texting or taking a nap.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:22 AM

2022 S 580; W223
Active Lane Assist

I don't rely entirely on the steering wheel to vibrate to know whether I have crossed into another lane or not. However, it's very helpful when texting or taking a nap.
Interesting discourse.
On my 2022 S 580 the feature goes berserk even when going by driveways on rhs. I got used to it. Actually, being a cigar smoker the ASSIST saved my butt by correcting a veer into oncoming lane while re-lighting a stogie. More bothersome is the unwanted 'Rest' and Coffee reminders. Dealer says it must be turned off after every start. Go figure.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by brbhan
Interesting discourse.
On my 2022 S 580 the feature goes berserk even when going by driveways on rhs. I got used to it. Actually, being a cigar smoker the ASSIST saved my butt by correcting a veer into oncoming lane while re-lighting a stogie. More bothersome is the unwanted 'Rest' and Coffee reminders. Dealer says it must be turned off after every start. Go figure.
Not sure if that is the ATTENTION ASSIST function or not. ATTENTION ASSIST shows up in both the Instrument Cluster (A1) and COMAND (A40/3) modules. If you really dislike it, check with @BenzNinja to see if it can permanently be removed or turned off. Don't trust the dealer to be accurate or forthcoming since they are bound by MB corporate rules.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:41 PM

AMG GT53
Rather than discussing hacking the vehicle into making it less jerky, have you considered just turning off the feature in the vehicle settings menu?
Old 05-03-2024, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzTechGuru
Rather than discussing hacking the vehicle into making it less jerky, have you considered just turning off the feature in the vehicle settings menu?
It's not a matter of "less jerky"; it's a matter of NO jerk at all. I prefer the steering wheel rumble or vibration, but I don't like the automatic braking to pull my car to the opposite side. I don't want to completely disable the feature. Posting #9 above discusses this.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:43 PM

AMG GT53
It's not a matter of "less jerky"; it's a matter of NO jerk at all. I prefer the steering wheel rumble or vibration, but I don't like the automatic braking to pull my car to the opposite side. I don't want to completely disable the feature. Posting #9 above discusses this.
Gotcha. Not sure how it is in your car, but in mine I have 2 check boxes in the settings, one for each of those. If yours is the same you can just uncheck one. If not, you'd need to either have the menu option added programmatically, or just have it set programmatically if there is no potential for adding the menu option. But afaik can be done, like they mentioned above.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Apparently, different models and years have different options. There is no check box for Lane Keep Assist to turn on or off the Active function. The only options on my car is OFF, STANDARD, and ADAPTIVE.