SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Try a Faraday box to reduce battery drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:23 PM

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
Try a Faraday box to reduce battery drain

I previously had great battery luck with my 2023 SL55 by double locking the door and keeping the key 20 feet away. However, as I have driven the SL less recently with fewer days of convertible weather, I experienced some low battery warnings that required trickle charging. Based on another post on this forum, I changed my approach to double locking and keeping the key in a Faraday box. Since then I have had no battery warnings at all. Search “faraday box for car keys” on Amazon and you will find many in the $10-$20 price range. I tested mine by bringing the closed box with the key inside next to my SL and it passed the test—it would not unlock the door until I opened the box.

I bought this $13 model but there are many other choices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKL3V3XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKL3V3XY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Please report here if you have used a faraday key box or decide to give it a try.
The following 4 users liked this post by xtdoc777:
California John (05-07-2024), drgek (05-08-2024), MB2timer (05-10-2024), trikoid (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 349 Likes on 198 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I've used one. A bag actually but same principle. I did find that with the bags I misjudged the size needed and had to opt for a larger size (still inexpensive). It's an easy fix. Yes, if we all lived in the "world of should" this wouldn't be necessary but it's not such an inconvenience and like many thing worthwhile once the habit is established it is seamless and takes all of a couple of seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by California John:
drgek (05-08-2024), MB2timer (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,974 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Well, our “world of should” is occupied by those who are “glass half full” types and “glass half empty” types. Alas, I belong to the latter group and cannot understand why ANYONE would rejoice at having to lock their car, when the car is sitting in their locked, private garage and then needing to secret their key away in a magic box or bag. As a card carrying member of the GHE group, I would NEVER do those things and would achieve great entertainment from constantly calling MB Roadside Assistance to tow the car into the dealer, so they can try to fix the car properly, so that it operates as stated in the Owner’s Manual.

Several folks here lament the “lead balloon” depreciation the R232’s have experienced. No problem. With the built-in issue of the battery going dead when the SL’s are treated like virtually every other vehicle on the planet, just give the dealer their required number of repair attempts, refuse to jump through their ridiculous hoops and when the car reaches “lemon status,” get all your money back. Depreciation issue solved!
Old 05-09-2024, 07:36 PM

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, our “world of should” is occupied by those who are “glass half full” types and “glass half empty” types. Alas, I belong to the latter group and cannot understand why ANYONE would rejoice at having to lock their car, when the car is sitting in their locked, private garage and then needing to secret their key away in a magic box or bag. As a card carrying member of the GHE group, I would NEVER do those things and would achieve great entertainment from constantly calling MB Roadside Assistance to tow the car into the dealer, so they can try to fix the car properly, so that it operates as stated in the Owner’s Manual.

Several folks here lament the “lead balloon” depreciation the R232’s have experienced. No problem. With the built-in issue of the battery going dead when the SL’s are treated like virtually every other vehicle on the planet, just give the dealer their required number of repair attempts, refuse to jump through their ridiculous hoops and when the car reaches “lemon status,” get all your money back. Depreciation issue solved!
I guess I am "half full" and don't mind locking my car and keeping the key in a $13 carbon fiber magic box. Love my R232.
The following 2 users liked this post by xtdoc777:
drgek (05-09-2024), Streamliner (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,974 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by xtdoc777
I guess I am "half full" and don't mind locking my car and keeping the key in a $13 carbon fiber magic box. Love my R232.
I’m very happy for you!
Old 05-09-2024, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 906 Likes on 696 Posts
G550
For those on a tight budget, wrap your keyfob in aluminum foil.
The following users liked this post:
MB2timer (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2021 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Streamliner

1. I don’t keep my key in a Faraday box and my car has been flawless save for one check engine light, quickly fixed, over 15 months and 6600 miles. I can say that it’s been the most trouble free performance car I’ve ever had. However, if I had to keep the key in a Faraday box it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

2. We don’t “rejoice” in locking our cars. We rejoice in the driving experience. For all your criticism of the car, have you driven one? We rejoice in the beauty of the car; while taste is subjective it is generally considered to be a vast improvement over its predecessor. I am glad that you are still smitten with yours.

3. You’ve harped on the depreciation curve, which is bad. Most of us knew the historical depreciation of AMG SLs when we purchased our cars. Yet you’ve chosen to order an electric 7-series sedan, two classes of cars that set records for mind numbing depreciation. Good luck with that, unless you find a reason to lemon law this car also.

4. Buy a current 911 with a lithium battery or any new Ferrari and see what happens if you don’t keep it on a trickle charger.

If my trade off for the enjoyment I get out of my car is having to lock it in the garage, I can live with that. I learned a long time ago that perfection is paralysis.

Last edited by drgek; 05-09-2024 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
California John (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by streborx
For those on a tight budget, wrap your keyfob in aluminum foil.
I used all my aluminum foil to make a hat.