GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

2021-23 GLS63 next vehicle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 07:56 PM

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
S560
2021-23 GLS63 next vehicle?

Hey MBWorld!

I'm about to start doing some extensive research and hope to make a purchase of a 2021-23 GLS63 here within the next couple of months.

Anything I need to look out for besides the 48v I see a lot having promblems with.

I would love to hear from some owners that love their X167!

Thanks so much in advance 🙏🏾
Old 08-12-2024, 10:57 PM

S560
Tough crowd...lol
Old 08-13-2024, 05:02 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 GL420 CDi and 2015 S500
sorry cant help you on this, but I have just bought an early 2016 GL63 and only had it 5 days now .
Best of luck, someone out there may be able to help you
The following users liked this post:
Robb92914 (08-22-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Would not recommend any MB past 2019 due to the 48v system.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:32 PM

S560
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Would not recommend any MB past 2019 due to the 48v system.
Thanks but I've seen so many not have this issue and my advisor says he doesnt see it a lot at all. Was hoping go get some owner feedback.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:35 PM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2021 GLS63, 2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
I have a 2021 GLS 63 and while I really like it, I do not love it as I did my 2015 GL63.
1. The 2021 has so many rattles that it is driving me crazy. The dealership is trying to address them over time.
2. The front suspension has something wrong/loose that we cannot seem to figure out. When you hit a rather large bump, say a speed bump at 10mph or so, there is a not insignificant suspension vibration (it is more than just a rattle). What ever is vibrating is fairly substantial. It is less in Sport mode and even less still in Sport+. It is not the lane assist vibration but something in the unsprung suspension. Again, my dealer is on it. This car should feel like a rock when a bump is encountered and the dampening should deal with these types of suspension impacts much better than mine does.
3. The shift logic is not that great. It tends to lurch when cold and even after warming up, still shifts at inopportune times that makes it feel a bit clunky. I think 2 less gears would make a world of difference so it doesn't need to shift so much.
4. The brakes are not progressive and are grabby at low speeds. This is most notable when the start/stop feature shuts off the engine before you are at a complete stop. When breaking in these conditions and when the start/stop shuts the engine off, the brakes seem to trigger ABS. I don't know if changing to a different pad compound would make it better but even the head of service noticed this while on a test drive to diagnose #2 above. He was like "Wow! The brakes are grabby". Note his use of technical terms. I personally think the car believes it is rolling away during a "stop" moment of the start/stop feature and activates the collision assist feature. This is probably the most annoying part for me as I take my daughter to school every morning in this vehicle and in the long line of cars, moving very slowly, this happens frequently. When I turn the start/shop feature off, it is better but still not as smooth and progressive as I would like it.

Those are the most significant issues I have encountered (other than having to buy new wheels so that I can fit it with snow tires here in the Sierras) so really pay attention on your test drive and good luck.

Kurt

Robb92914 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 06:47 PM

S560
Originally Posted by kfehling
I have a 2021 GLS 63 and while I really like it, I do not love it as I did my 2015 GL63.
1. The 2021 has so many rattles that it is driving me crazy. The dealership is trying to address them over time.
2. The front suspension has something wrong/loose that we cannot seem to figure out. When you hit a rather large bump, say a speed bump at 10mph or so, there is a not insignificant suspension vibration (it is more than just a rattle). What ever is vibrating is fairly substantial. It is less in Sport mode and even less still in Sport+. It is not the lane assist vibration but something in the unsprung suspension. Again, my dealer is on it. This car should feel like a rock when a bump is encountered and the dampening should deal with these types of suspension impacts much better than mine does.
3. The shift logic is not that great. It tends to lurch when cold and even after warming up, still shifts at inopportune times that makes it feel a bit clunky. I think 2 less gears would make a world of difference so it doesn't need to shift so much.
4. The brakes are not progressive and are grabby at low speeds. This is most notable when the start/stop feature shuts off the engine before you are at a complete stop. When breaking in these conditions and when the start/stop shuts the engine off, the brakes seem to trigger ABS. I don't know if changing to a different pad compound would make it better but even the head of service noticed this while on a test drive to diagnose #2 above. He was like "Wow! The brakes are grabby". Note his use of technical terms. I personally think the car believes it is rolling away during a "stop" moment of the start/stop feature and activates the collision assist feature. This is probably the most annoying part for me as I take my daughter to school every morning in this vehicle and in the long line of cars, moving very slowly, this happens frequently. When I turn the start/shop feature off, it is better but still not as smooth and progressive as I would like it.

Those are the most significant issues I have encountered (other than having to buy new wheels so that I can fit it with snow tires here in the Sierras) so really pay attention on your test drive and good luck.

Kurt
Thank you so much for this! I've been so busy over the summer that I finally get to test drive one next week. I have a 24 GLS450 loaner now and it makes me want to drive the 63 even more. It won't be a daily (ill drive my s560 more) but it will be a car my wife will be driving as well. I will look out for these things for sure!!
kfehling (Today)
Old Today, 01:07 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2021 GLS63, 2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
Robb,

Let us know how it goes.

Kurt