G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

04 G500 Rear Driver door stuck closed - no handle works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
04 G500 Rear Driver door stuck closed - no handle works!

New to me 2004 G500 rear driver door won't open

Push button on outside had been sticky (prior owner didnt have kids so didnt use door often) door was working ok the last week but button a little stiff

Now button goes all way in but wont open door

Lever inside pulls all the way out but doesn't open the door (yes i forced it pretty much all the way)

lock pin on top of door card does not extend all the way UP when car is unlocked

cannot pull pin up any further by hand

tried unscrewing/screwing pin but no change in function

ideas?? thanks guys

vid showing it here

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
aaaand a few hours later it is working normally again. quite random
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Received 447 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 G55K
I would venture to guess that if the door lock solenoid wasn't providing enough force to push the lock rod up, then it could happen again. Usually you can just pull the lock pin up though to unlock the door. Also pulling the handle should unlock the door, but your latch mechanism may need cleaning or regreasing.

Also, since you said that the exterior door button was sticking, you should open that up and clean it, and replace the o-ring as they will all eventually fail.

I posted about the exterior door button and the interior handle before, but haven't taken apart the latch mechanism.

Interior door handle cable holder failure - this happens to all original door handles. The new ones have an updated design that is supposed to be stronger, at the cost of $120/each. I made a 3D printed design to fix this.

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ml#post8496210

Door button sticking issue - o-ring breaks apart and starts to jam the button. Local hardware stores should have replacements in the correct size. I got mine at a local True-Value.

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ml#post8512276