S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Transmissions, S comp'd to GLS an Overnight Road Test and Some GT63 Coupe Wheel Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 01:59 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts
Transmissions, S comp'd to GLS an Overnight Road Test and Some GT63 Coupe Wheel Time

I'm posting this here in addition to the GLS forum because it crosses over on some common items/thoughts on/between the S and GLS etc. which have discussed here.

Ok, so my local dealer (good people) was kind enough to let us test a new very well equipped ($107msrp) GLS 450 overnight.

Impressions:

The transmission for the short time we've had it performed fine, no clunks up/down, no lags always all in comfort mode and full auto (no paddles).

The 450 has plenty of power for what it is, comp'd to our 24 GW lll it falls short, but in all fairness the GW is 520 hp, also a 6 cyl, but a tt monster and no mild hybrid assist which is supposed to come for 25.

The ride on the 23" AMG rims was just a tad rougher than the 22's on our GW lll but they are all -seasons vs max performance on the GLS'

There were a few rattles in the mid-section of GLS (10 miles on the odo when we picked it up)

The AC was great, far better than the 2 X7's we tested, and it was 95 here today, it was on par with the very robust AC in the GW.

The ventilated seats were terrible, no cooling to speak of and I used my favorite tricks of setting the CC to face and floor which helps draw cold air under the seats then up to the driver...weird thing is, this used to work well on our S Coupes but not on the GLS. Perhaps MB switched to the drawing it away vs pulling the cooled ambient air in up toward the torso, but either way they are quite poor. The GW cooled seats blow these away in every way.

The seats had the leather upgrade but not the $2900 upgrade, and they need it as the leather felt hard and thick, not soft/smooth, too much like text but not quite as bad.

The seats were also not very comfortable, both my wife and I couldn't get comfortable after about a half hour of driving. We tried every setting, but nothing worked, Interestingly, we had a 2023 GLS as a rental last year and we couldn't get comfortable in that one either. The massaging seats were quite good but not as good as those in the GW which are some of the best We've ever had including those in our S's. Too bad the GW is a body on frame or we'd keep it.

The acoustic glass is a must and does a superb job of keeping outside noise at bay and highly recommend it.

Fit and finish was good and materials were good too, but simply doesn't compare to the S class sedan, as it's a step or two down from it (as it should be).

Before we left the dealership, we also drove the new AMG GT 63 coupe, and those seats were far more comfortable. I'll review that vehicle separately on the appropriate forum in the next day or so. Tomorrow we will also test the new CLE 53 AMG coupe which finally came in, to test/see in person as I want to order one for the wife's dd.

My final analysis is the GLS is a fine large lux SUV, but we were left wanting, especially at that price point. The $2900.00 upgraded leather would have helped, as would ADS-Plus and/or E-ABC with it being on 23's, but they are 580 items only. They did not have one 580 in stock but had 17 new GLS 450's sitting on the lot. These vehicles are not selling very well. We were very happy that the 9 speed did a fine job, and with no excuses/rationalization needed, it did what it's supposed to do with no fuss nor muss . Why 50% of the X7's are having Ac issues is beyond me as it just like the GLS are both inline 6 that are MHEV's and it was ice cold with no excuses even in 95' heat, air out of the vents was super cold. The X7 offers a better/more engaging driving experience and just as smooth when comp'd to both being on 22's and no extra suspension packages. BTW, the X7's dynamic handling can be had on both the 6 and 8 cyl versions.

Last edited by RJC; 07-30-2024 at 03:48 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RJC:
crabman (07-30-2024), NbyNW (Yesterday), places (07-30-2024), Streamliner (Yesterday)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,097 Likes on 693 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Good write-up.

Big wheels are not your friend, and don't do you any favors. I'm guessing you know this, so I'm not going to harp on it.

It's interesting on the air, mine is as cold as anywhere else and the flow is roughly similar. I believe you, and others, who have complained about it. It's just an unusual issue to have on some cars, but one that isn't affecting all cars in the model line, or in some specific option configuration.

I looked briefly at the MB offerings in the 2 row segment, but the GLE didn't do much for me. Not bad, but I was left with a sense of meh. Nothing really stood out to me that would act as a reason to jump in. With the S Class, we had been talking at the lot while sitting in a parked car. The dealership is on a busy street, and there was a lot of road noise, which all disappeared when the doors closed. The quiet was almost spooky. I decided to take it for a spin and that quiet, that calm, went with me. It extended out past the lack of road noise to the overall serenity you get in that cabin. That was the hook, the thing that made me look twice, and eventually put one in the garage. With the latest, it was how outrageous it was to drive. Just insane. I'm not sure how long a person is going to be able to get a car like the X5M, but I was having some; the hooliganism was the trigger.

I wasn't looking 3 row, as cars have upsized over time to the point where a mid size SUV is what used to be a big SUV. The now full size has more downside than up for me because I don't need a three row in the first place. I do however like all the bells and whistles. It kinda sucks that in order to get them you have to go supersized. I was talking about this with a few people in the real world, what if you want all the goodies, but in a car that wasn't sized for the Brady Bunch?

The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,716 Likes on 1,739 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
That was my impression of the GLS as well. I was very excited about it at first, but as my week with it wore on I became less and less enamoured with it.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,944 Likes on 3,104 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SW20S
That was my impression of the GLS as well. I was very excited about it at first, but as my week with it wore on I became less and less enamoured with it.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by RJC
I'm posting this here in addition to the GLS forum because it crosses over on some common items/thoughts on/between the S and GLS etc. which have discussed here.

Ok, so my local dealer (good people) was kind enough to let us test a new very well equipped ($107msrp) GLS 450 overnight.

Impressions:

The transmission for the short time we've had it performed fine, no clunks up/down, no lags always all in comfort mode and full auto (no paddles).

The 450 has plenty of power for what it is, comp'd to our 24 GW lll it falls short, but in all fairness the GW is 520 hp, also a 6 cyl, but a tt monster and no mild hybrid assist which is supposed to come for 25.

The ride on the 23" AMG rims was just a tad rougher than the 22's on our GW lll but they are all -seasons vs max performance on the GLS'

There were a few rattles in the mid-section of GLS (10 miles on the odo when we picked it up)

The AC was great, far better than the 2 X7's we tested, and it was 95 here today, it was on par with the very robust AC in the GW.

The ventilated seats were terrible, no cooling to speak of and I used my favorite tricks of setting the CC to face and floor which helps draw cold air under the seats then up to the driver...weird thing is, this used to work well on our S Coupes but not on the GLS. Perhaps MB switched to the drawing it away vs pulling the cooled ambient air in up toward the torso, but either way they are quite poor. The GW cooled seats blow these away in every way.

The seats had the leather upgrade but not the $2900 upgrade, and they need it as the leather felt hard and thick, not soft/smooth, too much like text but not quite as bad.

The seats were also not very comfortable, both my wife and I couldn't get comfortable after about a half hour of driving. We tried every setting, but nothing worked, Interestingly, we had a 2023 GLS as a rental last year and we couldn't get comfortable in that one either. The massaging seats were quite good but not as good as those in the GW which are some of the best We've ever had including those in our S's. Too bad the GW is a body on frame or we'd keep it.

The acoustic glass is a must and does a superb job of keeping outside noise at bay and highly recommend it.

Fit and finish was good and materials were good too, but simply doesn't compare to the S class sedan, as it's a step or two down from it (as it should be).

Before we left the dealership, we also drove the new AMG GT 63 coupe, and those seats were far more comfortable. I'll review that vehicle separately on the appropriate forum in the next day or so. Tomorrow we will also test the new CLE 53 AMG coupe which finally came in, to test/see in person as I want to order one for the wife's dd.

My final analysis is the GLS is a fine large lux SUV, but we were left wanting, especially at that price point. The $2900.00 upgraded leather would have helped, as would ADS-Plus and/or E-ABC with it being on 23's, but they are 580 items only. They did not have one 580 in stock but had 17 new GLS 450's sitting on the lot. These vehicles are not selling very well. We were very happy that the 9 speed did a fine job, and with no excuses/rationalization needed, it did what it's supposed to do with no fuss nor muss . Why 50% of the X7's are having Ac issues is beyond me as it just like the GLS are both inline 6 that are MHEV's and it was ice cold with no excuses even in 95' heat, air out of the vents was super cold. The X7 offers a better/more engaging driving experience and just as smooth when comp'd to both being on 22's and no extra suspension packages. BTW, the X7's dynamic handling can be had on both the 6 and 8 cyl versions.
Takeaway is the GLS is not the S-Class of SUVs.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
NbyNW (Yesterday), Streamliner (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,716 Likes on 1,739 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
No, its not. Like I've said before the only SUV I have found that feels like a peer to an S Class is a full Range Rover.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 658 Likes on 488 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by chassis

Takeaway is the GLS is not the S-Class of SUVs.
Unless it's the GLS 600 😜
chassis (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,536 Likes on 2,156 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by wildta
Unless it's the GLS 600 😜
Ah, so the Maybach?
Old Today, 02:00 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drove the new 25 G550 today - we luved it! The $170 MSRP was steep but it’s mostly still handmade and built like German cars of yore. We are very tempted.
places (Today)
Old Today, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,478 Likes on 978 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by RJC
Drove the new 25 G550 today - we luved it! The $170 MSRP was steep but it’s mostly still handmade and built like German cars of yore. We are very tempted.
So, this has become appealing to us as well. Seems like they refined the 2025's. Very curious if they ironed out the ride. Did you highway drive it? Would this be a comfortable daily?
Streamliner (Today)
Old Today, 08:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by places
So, this has become appealing to us as well. Seems like they refined the 2025's. Very curious if they ironed out the ride. Did you highway drive it? Would this be a comfortable daily?
I thought you left MB altogether : ( but can't deny the G-wagen is one of its kind, I totally understand : )
Old Today, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I thought you left MB altogether : ( but can't deny the G-wagen is one of its kind, I totally understand : )
G remains the exception and still retains classic Mercedes DNA
chassis (Today)
Old Today, 10:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

G remains the exception and still retains classic Mercedes DNA
Bingo : )
Old Today, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,616 Likes on 2,070 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Yes, enquiring minds want to know: How’s the ride quality???
Old Today, 12:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes and yes. The one we drove was on 19’s though.
Old Today, 12:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
No, I was/am doing my due diligence. So glad the 4 MB’s I’ve tested thus far had fine shifting transmissions -albeit some were tested much longer than others. The G-wagen is an old school yet updated peach and the new mhev set up is great.
Old Today, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 658 Likes on 488 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by RJC
Did it have Active Ride Control and how was the wind noise on the freeway? Did the I6 feel adequate?
Old Today, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
19's would be the way to go IMO. I wouldn't want them any larger.

Had you driven the outgoing 550? If so, noticeable difference?
Streamliner (Today)