How To Place In Neutral With No Power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 03:48 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
How To Place In Neutral With No Power?

I own a 2021 GLE 450.

I know this has been talked about a couple of years ago, I tried the search but couldn't find anything on this but have seen it posted.

Could anyone tell me what are the steps once again to place the car in neutral when the car won't start and waiting for a tow truck to arrive in order to pull it onto a trailer?

I'm not presently having any issues but would like this info in case.

Toban

Last edited by toban; 07-30-2024 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by toban
I own a 2021 GLE 450.

I know this has been talked about a couple of years ago, I tried the search but couldn't find anything on this but have seen it posted.

Could anyone tell me what are the steps once again to place the car in neutral when the car won't start and waiting for a tow truck to arrive in order to pull it onto a trailer?

I'm not presently having any issues but would like this info in case.

Toban
There is no mechanical way, it's all electronic. You'll need to jump the battery to shift into neutral.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:20 PM

2021 GLE 450
Thanks for your reply but there were some steps you could do to move the transmission to neutral. Stupid me I didn’t make a note of it.
Anyone else who have been members for 3 plus years might remember?

Toban
Old 07-30-2024, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
There are no ways for the 9G-Tronic. This transmission is fully electronic and only controllable through the CAN bus. No power, no CAN bus. It's not going into neutral if there's no power.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:34 PM

2021 GLE 450
Huumm, okay maybe I was mistaken. I thought it was poster Ron who had something to say about it but maybe not.

Okay, thanks for your replies everyone. Got my fingers crossed I don’t need a tow truck dragging my car up on a flatbed.
I have had this car for 3.5 years now without any starting problems or really any issues at all. Think I will hang onto it for awhile longer.

Toban

Last edited by toban; 07-30-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by toban
Huumm, okay maybe I was mistaken. I thought it was poster Ron who had something to say about it but maybe not.

Okay, thanks for your replies everyone. Got my fingers crossed I don’t need a tow truck dragging my car up on a flatbed.
I have had this car for 3.5 years now without any starting problems or really any issues at all. Think I will hang onto it for awhile longer.

Toban
You're probably referencing this @Ron.s and his post here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8663773

Not sure about that trick, I only know of this one which requires power to the 12v battery:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post8663766
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-31-2024)
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
The only mechanical way I can think of would be to put one front and one rear wheel on rollers so the differentials could spin.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
SL63
Does this model have a start push button? You can put your car into accessory mode, by leaving your foot OFF the brake pedal, and depressing the start button. The transmission might be able to be put in neutral in this condition.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,852 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MB2timer
You can put your car into accessory mode.
The question of the thread is how to do it w/o power. Accessory mode requires power. If there's no power, there's no accessory mode, no nothing. The only way to put a transmission in neutral at that point requires a mechanical override, but there isn't one. There's no external mechanical linkage anymore with the 9G Tronic, so there's no way to get the parking pawl released and the transmission put in neutral if there's no power.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 08:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM

SL63
Originally Posted by superswiss
The question of the thread is how to do it w/o power. Accessory mode requires power. If there's no power, there's no accessory mode, no nothing. The only way to put a transmission in neutral at that point requires a mechanical override, but there isn't one. There's no external mechanical linkage anymore with the 9G Tronic, so there's no way to get the parking pawl released and the transmission put in neutral if there's no power.
My car came from the dealership with a battery charger. I am assuming that a dealership supplied charger, or one personally purchased could be used for even a few minutes. It wouldn’t take a whole lot of charge to allow accessory mode to be selected. I don’t know if it will help, but even an off the wall suggestion will sometimes save the day.
Old Today, 03:41 AM

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
My car came from the dealership with a battery charger. I am assuming that a dealership supplied charger, or one personally purchased could be used for even a few minutes. It wouldn’t take a whole lot of charge to allow accessory mode to be selected. I don’t know if it will help, but even an off the wall suggestion will sometimes save the day.
You've still bypassed the premise of the thread. If you can get power in some form, then there are ways to shift. If you have no power for whatever reason, you cannot shift.
Old Today, 10:29 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by jkaetz
You've still bypassed the premise of the thread. If you can get power in some form, then there are ways to shift. If you have no power for whatever reason, you cannot shift.
Yes,
I understand that. As rational humans, sometimes we must not accept premises, to arrive at a solution. In this case, the premise is no power. Hence, getting power would be a possible solution to the problem. The goal is to arrive at a solution, not to accept all the handicaps of any premises that might be restraining.
Old Today, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Yes,
I understand that. As rational humans, sometimes we must not accept premises, to arrive at a solution. In this case, the premise is no power. Hence, getting power would be a possible solution to the problem. The goal is to arrive at a solution, not to accept all the handicaps of any premises that might be restraining.
Every tow truck has a means of jumping the car to get it into accessory mode.

But the premise is no power, so the hypothetical that I would assume is a 12v electrical issue, now OP knows his last resort is requesting a tow truck that can jack up the car onto dollies because there is no mechanical means of putting it into neutral.