E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

722.9 issues. 2716 code y3/8y4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 w212 4matic
722.9 issues. 2716 code y3/8y4

Hey MB owners, My name is Jeffrey and I am new to this page. I drive a 2011 E350

. Hope to get information and share information as I like to work on my car from time to time. Currently having issues with the transmission going into limp mode. It started a while back and I would just cycle power to get it to clear. That worked until it didn't work no more. I went ahead a changed the oil in the transmission along with the filter of course. Removed the Conductor plate while I had the pan off and cleaned it. The code that I was getting was a 2716 which populated a faulty y3/8y4. I didn't change the solenoid out of ignorance and since the given symptom could have been cause by dirty fluid. Oil was in obvious need of replacement but the pan had no signs of metal or heavy debris. I used a multimeter to check continuity on all 8 solenoid and the checked out good. After the oil change the problem went away but it recently came back. I have order the solenoids to replace them and hoping that it does the trick. Thou, I am uncertain if the solenoids need to be calibrated some how and also if I need to replace all the bolts that holds the pan since I changed them 2 months ago. If anyone has had a similar issue and would like to chime in it would be greatly appreciated.
JG12 is online now Report Post
Old Today, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,392 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Did you change out the 8 solenoids? How exactly did you clean them?

I read in one of the transmission threads that the solenoids are matched to the valve body and that they are not designed to be replaced. That doesn't make sense since you can purchase them separately from Mercedes. You do, however, need to perform a gear selection adaptation of replaced solenoids. There is also a video on YouTube showing how to clean the solenoid screens with a magnet.

Old Today, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,392 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
This may also help. Please note that the document has an error. When you read it, it will show pictures of the ends of the solenoids. Caption of picture B says you can reinstall the solenoid. This is wrong because further in the text it says to replace any solenoids that look like pictures A or B.

EDIT: After watching the video again, picture B may be OK.

Last edited by JettaRed; Today at 01:55 PM.
Old Today, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 w212 4matic
No, I did not change any solenoids that time. I just cleaned them using break cleaner which according to the video is a no no. I do not recall seeing anything out of whack. I am wondering if the car will not run if I proceed in installing the new solenoids. I dont see how the solenoids would be programmed since they are just that, solenoids. I may be wrong!

I will be at it this Saturday and I hope I get it going.
Old Today, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,777 Likes on 2,511 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
MISLEADING DTC...

The surgery you're doing requires no mistake being made else every iteration takes lots of time around.

You will need a XENTRY computer or a good pro grade scanner to train/learn the new solenoids.
The TCU needs to know how to pulse each one while measuring the results it wants.

These small solenoids push pistons in the valve body. The pistons direct ATF pressure to clutch packs and brakes. That's what the TCU needs to learn to do well.

The fault you're getting does not mean "bad solenoid"... I have the huntch it has more to do with frictions not cooperating... O-Rings cooked hard into pieces.

The best way to save time would be to read THE FAULT SETTING CRITERIA to understand the conditions the TCU is flagging.

Let's see for fact what that points out...
(worn clutch/brakes?)

What saves time is: "do it right, do it once"... now is the time to troubleshoot.

Hat's off to individuals who rebuild transmission for a living

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; Today at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JG12 (Today)