SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: convertible not working!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convertible not working!

First of I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi to all SL owners Ok, here's the problem, the convertible just wouldn't move anymore. A few seconds later the light on the button appears. And then a minute later I drove it and it made a beeping sound. So I turned the car off and started it up again. THe light was still there. I read the manual and today, I took the car to the dealer. Oh, and if you're wondering about MB prices, They do charge $100/hr Ok, so I found out that the computer unit is dead for the convertible and it cost me 180 freakin dollars just for them techs to find out what was wrong! But to get to my point, I'm wondering how I can do the control unit install myself. The dealer said it'll cost $1300 for the part and labor. I would appreciate anything to help me pay less. THanks for reading!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM

SL60 ///AMG
If you have the same problem as I had, the cost for the labour is not the issue here. If the part is the control unit the cost for that one alone is $2671 or £1474. Original the price is twice that price but MB gives some discount. Se my contribution to a discussion in thread here. The control unit is located under the rear seat.

EDIT: Ok, I see now that it can´t be that unit, because of the price you have been given from the dealer. Sorry.. :o

/Håkan

Last edited by SL60 ///AMG; 06-08-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:19 AM

SL320
WOW your labour rates in the US are CHEAP!!!! in the UK we pay equivalent of $300 at London stealerships!!!

Anyway... on to you problem. Labour rate should only be one hour at most. that's how long it took them to replace my control unit. You should also make sure they return the old unit in exchange for the replacement. My control unit was £2200 - then they took off £1500 when returning the old one.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
CBR_15

Before you fork over the $$ for a new controller, may I suggest the following:

- Check all fuses for the system (the controller, the hydraulic pump, the power windows, the roll bar).

- Roll the windows down. Disconnect the negative battery lead for at least ½ hour, preferably longer. Be sure you have you radio PIN code handy before you do this.

- Then, quickly and carefully re-connect the battery lead – you don’t want to create electrical noise at the time you re-connect. Tighten the battery connection.

- Re-synchronize the power windows per the manual.

- Cycle the roll bar up and then down.

- Start the engine and try to cycle the roof. Try it once immediately after engine start (within 30 seconds) and if that doesn’t work, wait at least a minute, the try.

There are some down sides to this procedure. You will have to re-program the radio PIN, reset some of the other systems (see the owners manual), but the price is right. If you are not careful when you re-connect the battery, you can cause other systems to need resetting. I have found over the years that MB’s dedicated controllers for these specialized functions (roof, power seats, airbag, etc.) have a tendency to “glitch” and a complete power off reset will often take care of it.

Just a though before you shell out the money.

- FD
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
I had this problem on my previous SL320. The roof remained in the down position and I could not work it electronically. I managed to raised the roof manually using the little tool supplied, which does not really help and the roof does not shut fully and the rear.

My problem was I needed a new battery and the error codes resetting on the star computer.

All sweet after that.

I had the fear of the central control going as well, but serious check your battery and have the codes reset..
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks you guys! And FD thanks for your suggestions. I will first check my fuses and then the battery. IF it turns out to be the battery, a new battery will reset the codes?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
With regards to the codes, you have to take the car to a MB Service Station and have them connect the car to their diagnostics machine. This is simply a PC with special MB software on that analysis your cars electronics and the operator can reset each code for each latch used in the roof mechanism.

This takes 5 minutes. Everytime my battery was disconnected, these codes needed reseting as the roof button flashed red giving the warning.

Hopefully nice and cheap solution for you...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
CBR_15

The procedure I outlined will reset the non-volatile storage in the roof controller. A battery that loses its charge or an intermittent electrical connection can cuase corruption of this memory (did the car have to be "jumped" for not starting?).

All late model MBs store error codes and report them through the proprietary and expensive StarDiagnose system (a laptop, interface hardware, and special software). Resetting/modifying these codes (which are stored in non-volatile memory) can only be done by someone with a StarDiagnose System (usually only a dealer). Proprietary systems like StarDiagnose are one of the ways MB keeps their high overhead dealer network in business.

- FD
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 PM

I'm am getting ready to tare apart a 1992 500SL converitble top tomorrow. Does anyone have a digram to help me out?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Cylinder location diagram

C.j. Sugden,

welcome to the forum!

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you having hydraulic leaks, or are you replacing the canvas, or are you trying to troubleshoot the top's operation?

You can find very detailed DIY instructions and a location diagram for the hydraulic cylinders at www.tophydraulicsinc.com.

Klaus