SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: So I'm finally a member of the R129 club....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 SL600 Sport
So I'm finally a member of the R129 club....

After searching for about 6 months, I was finally in a position to get one and picked it up last Thursday in Atlanta. While the drive was long, it was a good chance to get acquainted with the car. It drives SOOOO smooth!! I love it!

I got a '99 SL600 Sport in Smoked Silver with a Panorama roof with 24.5k miles. It's SWEET!! I had no idea all the buttons and contraptions the thing had though. Somehow, I locked the trunk with my briefcase and laptop while getting gas, and then couldn't get it open again! It was a 3 hr mission to get it open again when I finally arrived home.

Who knew a car could have this many locking mechanism choices? I've been reading the manual and am starting to understand some of the buttons....I think....

I got all my Zaino goodies today and will be polishing it up this coming weekend. But I knew I couldn't post this without pictures....so here you go! I'll post some more pix post polishing.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
oooo nice goose!!

mark
Old 02-27-2006, 08:36 PM
JAM

SL600
Congratulations... You are going to thoroughly enjoy your ride. I love driving my SL600 every day...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Welcome to club V12!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
welcome........
Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 SL600 Sport
Thank you, thank you. It's the nicest thing I've ever driven, or bought for myself. If it hadn't been for reading this forum, I may not have gotten it. But I've learned A LOT on here, and hope to learn more.

I'm terribly excited and nervous at the same time, afraid of anything going wrong with it and costing me a zillion dollars. Gently used, this car cost me about the same as a new Honda, but I don't really have the deep pockets to face any huge expenses. So any advice on a maintenance schedule that you guys can share would be deeply appreciated.

One question, is there such a thing as a Chilton's manual for this car? And if so, what is it called and is it worth having? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by SandyinMiami
I'm terribly excited and nervous at the same time, afraid of anything going wrong with it and costing me a zillion dollars. .... I don't really have the deep pockets to face any huge expenses. So any advice on a maintenance schedule that you guys can share would be deeply appreciated.
1) Your car is pretty well a mirror image of our 1999 SL 500. Except you have 4 more cylenders, AMG wheels and sport package. I presume you have the java soft top as well.

You will be looking for a place to store the panorama roof. We need that in Vancouver. In Florida your driving will be either top down or soft top up.

Congratulations. You will love this car. Enjoy!

2) These cars are built to be driven often and driven hard. Don't be afraid to do that. That is a good part of the fun of owning such a capable car.

If the prvious owners were light drivers. You will have to "teach" the adaptive transmission how to be more agressive in it's shifting patterns. Both the V12 motor and the 5 speed transmission (by 1999 for the extra torque of the V12) are bullit proof.

3) To think you got one of the finest automobiles ever built ... for the cost of a Honda Accord! Go have a ride in aa Accord after driving the SL for 6 months. See which one stands out.

Last edited by ChrisB; 02-28-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
Thank you, thank you. It's the nicest thing I've ever driven, or bought for myself. If it hadn't been for reading this forum, I may not have gotten it. But I've learned A LOT on here, and hope to learn more.

I'm terribly excited and nervous at the same time, afraid of anything going wrong with it and costing me a zillion dollars. Gently used, this car cost me about the same as a new Honda, but I don't really have the deep pockets to face any huge expenses. So any advice on a maintenance schedule that you guys can share would be deeply appreciated.

One question, is there such a thing as a Chilton's manual for this car? And if so, what is it called and is it worth having? Thanks.

fist thing you need to do, is find a good ind. machanic, NEVER take it to the delership, unless its a warrenty thing. because they are usually 25-50% more.

mark
Old 02-28-2006, 04:45 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;

I think most of the do-it-yourselfers on this board find the info on the internet, by posting here, and other ways without spending money. I think you can get a shop manual with a CD from the dealer -- did somebody post on here that it is $150?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
ebay has the manuells (cd) for hella cheep-

mch
Old 03-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 SL600 Sport
Chris: My car is the same as yours - with a Java soft top. I don't have anyone to help me remove the panorama roof - so it shall stay put until my BF hits town later this month. He can help me break the soft top in. I will be driving it often - but I don't know how hard. My commute is less than ten miles roundtrip....and truth be told, I'm still intimidated.

Believe it or not, the previous owner is one William E. Elliott, aka Bill Elliott? I didn't know who he was, but I'll bet some of you do. How do I "teach" the transmission by the way?

I'm looking to tint the windows on it for privacy ASAP, if not sooner, as I don't enjoy the gawking. But the tinting guy told me that the plastic window of the soft top is untintable? I'm concerned that would make the car look stupid to have the windows tinted and the soft top clear, don't you think? I was thinking of a bronze tone for the windows, to kinda match the car.

I've looked through the many manuals on eBay, but what's the name of the right one? I can't do that many things, but when I was younger, Chilton's saved my a$$ innumerable times with my 67 Mustang. Thought it might be worth having.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can get one of the little buttons that are on the lumbar support panel? I'm missing the one for the bolster and the dealership says I have to buy the entire mechanism. Sheesh, I only need the one button!

You guys are gonna tire of me very soon - I'll be having many questions.....
Old 03-02-2006, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
I will be driving it often - but I don't know how hard. My commute is less than ten miles roundtrip....and truth be told, I'm still intimidated.
How do I "teach" the transmission by the way?
As I understand it, the automatic transmission is "adapitve" ... I take that to mean that the car stores data and trys to deliver the type of driving experience you typically call up from the car.

I find that in the summer when I have driven hard, with lots of acceleration at highway speeds (kicking down into "passing gear") and done lots 0 to 100 mph acceleration runs ... the transmission shifting gets responsive and never hunts for the proper gear to be in when I hit the gas at any speed.

In the wet winter time when I drive slow and steady, with little performance driving ... the transmission seems to get soft and starts hunting for the gear to be in when I do punch it.

I prefer the performance shifting.

You get a "sportier" shifting pattern if you drive in 4th gear as opposed to 5th gear. In 4 th, the transmission holds the gears for higher revs prior to up shifting.

You will get to know your car as you drive more & more.

Don't be afraid to take corners faster than you normally might in other cars. There is a lot of safety stuff (the ESP system ... which can be shut off) on board to intervene and keep the car under control.

Enjoy.

Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 55 , Infinity FX37, Aprilia Caponord Rally
Chris: My car is the same as yours - with a Java soft top. I don't have anyone to help me remove the panorama roof - so it shall stay put until my BF hits town later this month. He can help me break the soft top in. I will be driving it often - but I don't know how hard. My commute is less than ten miles roundtrip....and truth be told, I'm still intimidated.

Believe it or not, the previous owner is one William E. Elliott, aka Bill Elliott? I didn't know who he was, but I'll bet some of you do. How do I "teach" the transmission by the way?

I'm looking to tint the windows on it for privacy ASAP, if not sooner, as I don't enjoy the gawking. But the tinting guy told me that the plastic window of the soft top is untintable? I'm concerned that would make the car look stupid to have the windows tinted and the soft top clear, don't you think? I was thinking of a bronze tone for the windows, to kinda match the car.

I've looked through the many manuals on eBay, but what's the name of the right one? I can't do that many things, but when I was younger, Chilton's saved my a$$ innumerable times with my 67 Mustang. Thought it might be worth having.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can get one of the little buttons that are on the lumbar support panel? I'm missing the one for the bolster and the dealership says I have to buy the entire mechanism. Sheesh, I only need the one button!

You guys are gonna tire of me very soon - I'll be having many questions.....
Hiya Sandy.....Your 10 m commute is too short for the V12...It doesn't give it time to warm up properly....It should be driven for a minimum of 20/25 mns to run the engine in...
As for window tints,they don't suit the SL in my opinion for the reason stated that you cannot tint the plastic...and it would look ridiculous with only the side windows tinted....
I am hunting for a V12 at the moment...wish me luck to find one as nice as yours..........enjoy....
Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 SL600 Sport
I can't believe it!! Someone hit my car at work yesterday! I just noticed it opening the gate this morning. Son of a.... My 'lac was parked here for 3.5 years, twice the size, and nothing. I've had this sled for less than a week, and someone backs up into it. I can't believe it. People are haters.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
I can't believe it!! Someone hit my car at work yesterday! I just noticed it opening the gate this morning. Son of a.... My 'lac was parked here for 3.5 years, twice the size, and nothing. I've had this sled for less than a week, and someone backs up into it. I can't believe it. People are haters.
that suck hope he ok.........