SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Security against being Keyed by Jealous idiots

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Security against being Keyed by Jealous idiots

After reading the post about being keyed. Lets start to work on a sollution. Need imput from everyone on what can be done. here was my recent responce. Lets put our heads together.
THe cameras can be bounted both for and aft to get the entire scope. And mounted behind the glass of the mirror. Intagrated with the system. I have a few links for you to check out. Just a second
http://www.surveillance-video.com/col4camsys.html#top
I think with the right group of people we can figure this thing out. It beats a lojack any day. Because you still have to pay the deductable if the jerk off wrecks your car when its stolen. Jeff
http://www.surveillance-video.com/20pica.html
http://www.surveillance-video.com/worsmalwirvi.html
Old 03-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Okay, I don't think this is practical because:

You have to have a VCR or a lap top in your car sucking power from your battery. You can get cameras that detect motion and turn the VCR on only when it detects motion, but those are also impractical because: In a parking lot, you are going to get lots of motion AND the VCR will still be draining your battery when it is in "standby" mode.

BUT, I think it is good concept. I think there might even be a market for something like a couple of mini cams hooked up to a some sort of an MP3 recorder with a huge memory and MAYBE a solar battery charger on the recorder. Hmmm . . . this sounds good . . . I have a brother in law who is an engineer and owns a manufacturing company.

The cameras could probably go into the mirrors.

On the other hand . . . what are you going to do if you get of photo or video of a guy scratching your car? Drive around looking for him and run him over? Have the police put out an APB? They would laugh at you.

You won't be able to do anything after the fact.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM

The video becomes a societal deterant

Originally Posted by mebeJOE
Okay, I don't think this is practical because:

You have to have a VCR or a lap top in your car sucking power from your battery. You can get cameras that detect motion and turn the VCR on only when it detects motion, but those are also impractical because: In a parking lot, you are going to get lots of motion AND the VCR will still be draining your battery when it is in "standby" mode.

BUT, I think it is good concept. I think there might even be a market for something like a couple of mini cams hooked up to a some sort of an MP3 recorder with a huge memory and MAYBE a solar battery charger on the recorder. Hmmm . . . this sounds good . . . I have a brother in law who is an engineer and owns a manufacturing company.

The cameras could probably go into the mirrors.

On the other hand . . . what are you going to do if you get of photo or video of a guy scratching your car? Drive around looking for him and run him over? Have the police put out an APB? They would laugh at you.

You won't be able to do anything after the fact.

THe reason is you give this stuff to Video hungry Media and video shows and cops, etc. The fact that millions of cars out there are equiped with hidden cameras starts to sink in to these idiots and whalla its detered by An X amount of percentage. Its time to call your uncle. There is a market. I have 4 cars right now I would mount the system on. Jeff
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 AM

1998 SL 600 ///AMG. 1997 SL 320. 1999 SLK 230K. 2001 BMW R850.
I can see problems:

Cameras need power, they also need environmental protection. Board cameras are poor picture quality & will need surge protection. Size now becomes a problem.
A DVR could be used inconjunction with movement, but this needs power.

Where in a 129 could we mount a solar panel?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:35 PM

under the visor on the windshield

FOr the Solar panel. I have no problem with mounting an extra small 6 volt battery or a small marine battery for this project. What do you think of cameras behind the rear view mirrors on the doors? I could go as high as 1500 bucks on this project. Like I said it would be worth it to catch the guy that keys my Ride. Jeff
Old 03-14-2006, 01:36 AM

1998 SL 600 ///AMG. 1997 SL 320. 1999 SLK 230K. 2001 BMW R850.
6 volts DC won't work, most CCTV kit comes as 12 VDC. A 12 VDC solar panel @ 4.5W is approx 12" x 10" x 1".

Even board cameras mounted behind the mirrors need protecting from the environment, cold at night, wet when it rains or you wash your car so they need a housing which makes them too big. Small means expensive & poor quality res, with no res at night. Even if we found a camera to work, you would still only see the rear half of your car.
Can't you mount a CCD unit on your house to monitor your car?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 AM

F it i want cameras coming out of my you know what

Dont care if I hid them between the spokes of the rims. FOr All I care I just want to catch the basterd if he trys to key my ride. JJ

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...911/329817.jpg
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Here is your solution, and btw, I'd like to say its freaking brilliant.
The solution has already been done and overdone 10000 times.

You buy an old fashioned Viper alarm, the kind that used the annoy the **** out of all of us in the late 90s and everyone felt like their $2000 ride needed them. Those have touch sensitivity like you wouldn't believe. Even the slightest motion can set the damned things off.

You wire the thing so that instead of the alarm it turns on the camera and starts recording. GENIUS!!!

Anyway, with that kinda of regulated power usage you can easily use your car battery..

You can even have a computer for like $400 with a wireless card beam the data from the street to your home server...

Damn it I shouldn't be posting this, I should just .. naaa, too busy to do any side projects these days, but if you end up doing this and it looks clean it shouldn't cost you more than $600 or so. And i would buy one.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:17 PM

I love it

Email me I will fund the whole thing we will sell them on ebay. JJ
Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 PM

with a lithium-ion battery powering this system you could get up to 8hrs of battery life....put three and you have up to 24hrs without having to turn the car on to recharge the batteries....and while driving the batteries should be able to recharge within 3hrs....or 3 1hr-long drives.

Battery life is basically a non-issue. Storage is a non-issue (flash based hardrives of up to 40gb available at a reasonable cost)

Camera quality is the only thing, you would need a very good camera and probably lots of them to record at night, in the rain, in the fog, and all those angles that that bum keying your car could come in at to show his face.

I thought of this back in 01 when somebody keyed my brand new lexus GS430...I freakin Zaino-ed it and everything so it really looked amazing.