SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Newbie with a BIG question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Question Newbie with a BIG question!

First, let me say how much I appreciate this site, especially the forums. People seem to be very willing to share their experiences and expertise.

I'm bringing my new baby home tomorrow! She's a White 1998 SL500 with 18,550 original miles. She's lived in the lap of luxury in Beverly Hills all of her life.

When I asked the owner about the status of the warranty he called the dealership and was told that it was too late for the extended warranty and that he had to have gotten it before the first of the year. Then the manager realized who he was and said they'd be more than willing to get an exemption for him (they don't know he's selling it to me!)The policy would be through FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICES out of Florida. The rates seem higher than what I've been reading about on the forum but he was given the impression that he (or I as the new owner) had little options.

Please tell me what you think of these rates quoted from MB of Beverly Hills. And yes, I do plan to drive the car until I'm old and gray(er)!

Platinum 3 year/36,000 miles = $3079.00
Platinum 4 year/48,000 miles = $3605.00
Platinum 5 year/60,000 miles = $3942.00
Platinum 5 year/100,000 miles = $5509.00
Platinum 6 year/72,000 miles = $4736.00
Platinum 6 year/100,000 miles = $6643.00
Platinum 7 year/100,000 miles = $6948.00

Additional $525.00 for a $0 deductible.

I thought I had read everything that I could find about the car, but this warranty thing has thrown me for a loop! The car passed the MB 190 inspection with flying colors in September. Tomorrow I have to take her in for a 200-something pre-warranty inspection. I know I should have some kind of warranty. Any suggestions on which one, how long, how much? Insights? Expertise?

Thanks and I'll post pictures when as soon as it stops raining!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by SL4HOP
First, let me say how much I appreciate this site, especially the forums. People seem to be very willing to share their experiences and expertise.

I'm bringing my new baby home tomorrow! She's a White 1998 SL500 with 18,550 original miles. She's lived in the lap of luxury in Beverly Hills all of her life.

When I asked the owner about the status of the warranty he called the dealership and was told that it was too late for the extended warranty and that he had to have gotten it before the first of the year. Then the manager realized who he was and said they'd be more than willing to get an exemption for him (they don't know he's selling it to me!)The policy would be through FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICES out of Florida. The rates seem higher than what I've been reading about on the forum but he was given the impression that he (or I as the new owner) had little options.

Please tell me what you think of these rates quoted from MB of Beverly Hills. And yes, I do plan to drive the car until I'm old and gray(er)!

Platinum 3 year/36,000 miles = $3079.00
Platinum 4 year/48,000 miles = $3605.00
Platinum 5 year/60,000 miles = $3942.00
Platinum 5 year/100,000 miles = $5509.00
Platinum 6 year/72,000 miles = $4736.00
Platinum 6 year/100,000 miles = $6643.00
Platinum 7 year/100,000 miles = $6948.00

Additional $525.00 for a $0 deductible.

I thought I had read everything that I could find about the car, but this warranty thing has thrown me for a loop! The car passed the MB 190 inspection with flying colors in September. Tomorrow I have to take her in for a 200-something pre-warranty inspection. I know I should have some kind of warranty. Any suggestions on which one, how long, how much? Insights? Expertise?

Thanks and I'll post pictures when as soon as it stops raining!
since you are planning of keeping her for more than a few years, get the 7 year. there is a big chance that it will pay its self off. it seems like your car sat for a while, these cars dont like to sit, the seals crack, and bushings need to be replaced, they get a static memory. not a BIG deal, but they can add up. my car sat for about 2 years, i got mine with less than 30K miles. i had to do some tranny seals, and some hoses.

have fun, and WELCOME!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
Make sure that the warranty covers the convertible top 'hydraulic system and controller'. When a part of this system goes it can be very expensive to repair unless you are handy with tools. I do not believe that any inspection could tell if the front or rear hydraulic cylinder seals are about ready to go. Please read https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129/224938-hydraulic-fluid-dripping-buttom-right-visor.html

I'm a Moderator of another R129 Forum and this is, in my book, the number one problem that people find after they purchase there used R129.

I would be interested to here back from you as to wheather or not they cover the 'hydraulic system and controller'.

The other thing that most inspections are unable to find are related to the suspension. Like has the car been aligned, do you have a bent rim, do you have a flat spot on a tire, when were the tires balanced last. None of these would be covered under any warranty. These are considered maintance issues and would come out of your pocket.

IMHO, put the money that the warranty would cost in the bank for issues that may come up and if they don't take a sweet vacation.

Last edited by lynns; 01-07-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 AM

SL500
And we're split 50/50!

Thanks so much to both of you. And it looks like we're all neighbors! I agree with both opinions, pay upfront --- save the money and pray!

Here is what the policy does NOT cover:

================================================== ========
Platinum Exclusions

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing, constant velocity joint boots, safety restraint systems, cellular phones, electronic transmitting devices (except for those specifically listed under silver, gold, or gold plus coverage), radar detectors, appliances, near object avoidance systems and all laser radar cruise control components, vinyl and convertible tops.

================================================== ========
Apparently this does NOT cover anything having to do with the convertible top. Ain't that grand! Actually it's probably many, many grand!!!

The car made it through the inspection with a note to replace the motor mounts. I figure it could have been much worse. I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide about the policy. I'm leaning toward spending the money and praying. If spending the $7K means I can sleep better at night, it might just be worth it for me.

So, how much should I put aside for the top?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 AM

2000 SL500
Please don't buy the warranty. Put the money in the bank. These cars are bullet proof. If you paid a Stealer to repair the front hydraulic latches it would cost you $1200.00 or you could DIY for $100.00. If you bought all 12 new cylinders they would cost you $3500.00 plus labor. But we have a guy who can rebuild the cylinders for a fraction of that cost. So keep your money and enjoy your new car and don't forget to come to the S. California MB SL R129 Meet- March 9th, 2008 at https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....01&postcount=1 We have 19+ R129's signed up to come.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by lynns
Please don't buy the warranty. Put the money in the bank. These cars are bullet proof. If you paid a Stealer to repair the front hydraulic latches it would cost you $1200.00 or you could DIY for $100.00. If you bought all 12 new cylinders they would cost you $3500.00 plus labor. But we have a guy who can rebuild the cylinders for a fraction of that cost. So keep your money and enjoy your new car and don't forget to come to the S. California MB SL R129 Meet- March 9th, 2008 at https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....01&postcount=1 We have 19+ R129's signed up to come.
I'm thinking I might be past the DIY stage of auto repair, besides I might break a nail! Sorry - SWF! I am taking what you say to heart. It does kill me to put out that kind of money. The motor mounts and some sensor thing were going to cost me $1,500! That put things in perspective for me. I can't make the repairs myself, and trust me I would love to learn. I worked on the assembly line of Ford Motor Company to earn money for college. I'm not afraid of getting dirty. I live in a complex with indoor parking, but don't have a private garage to even keep tools. I hear the engine is bullet proof. I think I have until I put 25K on the car before I can't get any coverage. I have a lot of thinking to do!

I love the idea that there are enough people on the board that know who to take the car to for whatever repairs it needs to have done. And the prices will be more affordable than the dealer. That's good to know.

If I were your Mother, and I'm old enough to be! And I lived alone, would that make any difference in your recommendation?

Thanks for invite to the rally, I'd love to come. Can't wait to meet the faces behind the names.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

2000 SL500
If I were your Mother, and I'm old enough to be! And I lived alone, would that make any difference in your recommendation?
NO! Now hears the deal. I'm no spring chicken myself and really don't like working on cars at my age aside from keeping them looking good. That's why I bought a 20K mile 2000 SL500 and found it's the little things that need replacing like plastic and rubber parts as these or any other car ages. And those parts arn't covered under warranty.

What you really need to do is find yourself a good Independent Repair Technician/Facility in your area of work or home and move away from the Dealer repair who charges rediculous prices. That's probably why the warranty costs so much.

But I'm going to answer you question just like my mother did when I told her over and over I was thinking about quiting College. "Well Honey, if that's the way you feel".
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
SL4HOP welcome...... We would love to have you come to the S. California MB SL R129 Meet- March 9th, 2008 at https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129/222001-s-california-mb-sl-r129-meet-march-8th-2008-a.html
We have 19+ R129's signed up to come...... so if you going let me know..... then I could put you on the lists.....

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 01-09-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM

SL500
UPDATE!!!

First, thanks for all your public and private posts. The people on this forum are amazing!

I bought the car! And purchased the 7 year warranty which DOES cover all aspects of the convertible top(s) EXCEPT the material and window. The warranty is transferable and I can cancel it at any time for a pro-rated refund. OK, I know, I know.....I might be throwing my money away. Time will tell.......

I've marked my calendar for March 9th so add my name to the list. I can't wait to meet the faces behind the names. Of course I'll have a list of "newbie" questions!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM

A woman needs her toys!:98 SL500 for now
How about some pictures?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Originally Posted by soldbyyou
How about some pictures?
Where are pictures of your baby?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM

SL500
Wow.......I'm flattered that you'd want to see pictures of my new baby. I'll be taking some this weekend and will post them as soon as get back.

She's is really purdy!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
i would save the money and not do the warranty.

instead, talk to everyone you meet or see, anywhere, who's got a not-brand-new mercedes and ask them whether they can recommend a good mechanic. once you find the right mechanic, you'll be way ahead of the game. i use beverly laurel, which used to be in west hollywood but moved up to sherman way; the main hombre there is a cat named Shant. he and his guys are first-rate, very ethical and they don't half-a$$ the work. the prices completely smoke what you'd pay at a dealership.

just my 2c.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
you got pm about the meeting.....
Old 02-03-2008, 01:04 AM

2000 SL500
I've marked my calendar for March 9th so add my name to the list. I can't wait to meet the faces behind the names. Of course I'll have a list of "newbie" questions!
They cahnged the date to Saturday, 3/8 at 11:00 AMand Im inviting the R129 group to a 3/7 Friday 6:00 PM hamburger night get together at Fuddruckers.