SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Burning music CD to play in '99 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL500
Burning music CD to play in '99 SL500

I have been trying now for almost two full months to burn music CD's to play in my '99 SL500 with NO LUCK! I am litering my backyard with rejected CD's and while the yard does sparkle and look pretty cool in the morning and evening sun I'm still HIGHLY TICKED! Can anyone tell me what I have to do to burn a CD to play in the car? I have used Roxio, Nero, iTunes and Windows Media Player at every speed they have as well as used RW (which now I know won't work!) and simple plain old fashioned R only. I am missing something I know -- PLEASE HELP!!! SUMMER I HERE AND I NEED TO BURN SOME MILES AND CD's!!!

Craig
Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Volvo & Mercedes
I have been using Memorex Music CD-Rs (80 min) with no problem in my 2001. I have been using iTunes. My dealership did discover burned CDs and told me to use "real" CDs only, but I haven't had any issues.

What brand of CD-R have you been using? The 80min/700MB ones seem to work the best. You've probably already checked this, but iTunes sometimes thinks you're burning an MP3 CD not an audio CD.

I have found an iPod solution, but you lose the changer.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM

1999 SL500
Thanks for the response! I am using Sony R only 80 min CD's and recording with the slower settins. I've used iTunes, Roxio and Nero all with NO luck...the disk will however play on the computer or in other players around the house but NOT in the SL. Am I missing something in the setup inside the program possibly? Anyone have a step by step dummies guide on how to accomplish this?

So totally frustrated!!! UGH!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Volvo & Mercedes
That is strange. We both have the same CD player presumably. I know iTunes the best. For my setup in the Preferences area I have: Disc Format: Audio CD / Gap Between Songs: 2 Seconds / Preferred Speed: Maximum Possible.

My only suggestion is to try Memorex CDs- since they're all I've used without issue. There are some Volvo's that will only play particular CD-R brands. European cars can be so fussy. Does your SL play regular CDs without issue?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:10 PM

1999 SL500
RWD...thanks for the help but NOTHING seems to be working so here is yet more information:

1999 SL500 with 6 disk CD changer in the trunk. Burning/burned Sony, Memorex and Maxell R ONLY audio disks via Nero, Roxio and iTunes. Made sure ALL programs were set to record/copy AUDIO CD's and at various speeds. Even went as far as to take a Memorex CD that was made in 2003 that is known to work/play and copied and burned that CD to no avail. I am burning using a NEW Pioneer DVD/CD burner. I am pretty sure the burner is working properly as everyone of the CD's will play everywhere else but in the trunk of my car.

I've got to be doing something wrong but what exactly I haven't a freakin' clue!

My next step is to replace the player to a newer one and be done but heck who really wants that hassle or expense????!!!!!!!! AAAAAaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Volvo & Mercedes
Sorry things still don't seem to be working, CMS. You might not be doing anything wrong- it could be the changer. I'm not an expert at this stuff, but it might need cleaning. You might also check the connections under the unit. I might be getting this wrong, but the changer is fiber-optic. If there is a component that has failed in the "ring" (all the devices in the fiber network) then problems can happen. A dealership might know better. Does it play normal CDs and radio alright?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 PM

1999 SL500
It does everything properly from playing store bought CD's or those burned by others using the same software configurations...well almost everything I dropped the handset for the phone into the ocean off a boat many years ago...so as a side note if you or anyone else has one to sell (working or not) I'll buy it...but anyway...it seems to play everything and do everything correctly...I've got to be missing something in this project...but what????
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Is your CD changer OEM? (Your car has Xenon and heated seats, correct?) I would check the cd player itself.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 AM

1999 SL500
The CD player is OEM and works fine with every other original or burned CD by anyone else that burns them...just when "I" try to burn them I must be doing something wrong and the CD won't play in the car...I have got to be missing a step somewhere with these programs but after reading all the manuals several times I am still at a loss. So frustrating!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Do you play the CD that you cut in other cd players (to see if they work)?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM

1999 SL500
The ones that I burn work in every other player other than the one in the car...what makes this really bad (NOT to sound sexist) but my ex-girlfriend could burn a disk in a few minutes and it worked each and everytime!!!! O the absolute shame!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM

2015 CLS 550 4Matic / 00 SL600
I had the same problem on my SL (MJ2000) and found my CD player reacts very sensitive to what I burn on a CD-R. Not in terms of music style but maximum data size. I never managed to play a fully stuffed 700MB disc in my car. A max of 650MB @ slow burning speed solved this problem entirely, even with "no name" discs.