SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: What other routine/preventive maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC
What other routine/preventive maintenance?

OK, here is what I have done:

-New air filters
-New cabin filter
-New plugs
-New wires
-Oil Change
-Seafoam in gas tank

What other routine and preventive maintenance should I do to the vehicle? Trans fluid? Anything else engine wise? Coolant? Brake fluid?

Let me know!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
I have a tendency to err on the side of over-maintenance as I believe (fluids, in particular) should be changed to maintain peak performance, not just maintainability. That said, I would consider the following:

Brake Fluid Flush every 2 years
Transmission Fluid Flush & Filter every 30,000 miles
Rear Axle Drain & Refill every 40,000 miles
Power Steering Flush every 40,000 miles
If applicable, ADS Flush and Screen Clean every 30,000 miles
Coolant Flush every 60,000 or 5 years
Soft Top Hydraulic Flush every 4 years; more frequent if used often
1 Bottle Techron Additive every 3,000 miles

I expect comments from others who will state that this is ridiculous overkill. But I believe (and have experience) that as mechanical things age and wear, their maintenance frequency actually increases. Factory maintenance intervals for a brand-new vehicle are not the same 10 years later; unless the car is a 'garage queen'. I prefer to have my car perform robustly and reliably. Thus, I use the maintenance intervals above. In addition, Mercedes' Engineers are human; they make design errors and errors in judgement as to longevity of components, etc. Tolerences in older vehicles are not as tight as in today's factory-fresh cars. Etc., etc.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC
MB dude, thanks much.

Someone told me today that the transmission will not even work if I do the fluid and filter.

I'm having a little bit of a problem - the car is a dog on the highway. It has hard downshifts and also it redlines FOREVER until it slips. Off the line it's pretty decent really.

I'm at a loss of what to do now.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RLich8
... Someone told me today that the transmission will not even work if I do the fluid and filter.

I'm having a little bit of a problem - the car is a dog on the highway. It has hard downshifts and also it redlines FOREVER until it slips. Off the line it's pretty decent really. ...
Regarding the won't-work-after-fluid/filter-change comment, that's balderdash and horse poop. The key is to make sure the sump is filled completely before starting the engine, and making sure the torque convertor is filled before engaging any gears. And make sure you use the correct transmission fluid. I've personally changed the transmission fluid/filter in my current '96 SL600 once and a '94 SL500 I used to own twice; no problems with workability afterward. The only issue I've seen can happen in any transmission, and that's where the front transmission seal is too dried-out and the fresh fluid causes a leak. But other than that, no issues.

As for the current transmission shifting problems, I would definitely change the transmission fluid and filter. If you have a drain plug on the torque convertor, then drain it, as well. Again, do not engage the transmission in any gear until you know the TC is filled back up. If after the fluid/filter change you notice a marked improvement, then I'd change the fluid/filter again in ~10K miles, just to make sure you get all the crud out.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
Hey Jeff, Thanks for your input on the "overkill" preventive maintenance. I am trying to follow that schedule as well.

Right now I am trying to figure out if the 2001 SL500 uses Dino or synthetic Power Steering Fluid. I am planning that fluid change along with the rest of the maintenance that you listed. AutohauzAZ lists both synthetic and Dino...and no way to tell what is spec'd for the car.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
Hey Jeff, Thanks for your input on the "overkill" preventive maintenance. I am trying to follow that schedule as well.

Right now I am trying to figure out if the 2001 SL500 uses Dino or synthetic Power Steering Fluid. I am planning that fluid change along with the rest of the maintenance that you listed. AutohauzAZ lists both synthetic and Dino...and no way to tell what is spec'd for the car.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Thanks, Bruce. Most folks think I'm crazy with such a schedule.

Good question relative to p/s fluid. I do not know what is OEM spec; dino or synthetic. For me, I flushed the entire p/s system with synthetic. After ~25K, I have had no problems; no leaks, steering quite responsive, etc. Strictly personal preference for me. May not be the answer you were looking for, but hope it helps.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993

Any advice?

Thanks!
Jeff has a good schedule. I posted the MB service checklist as of last spring on the AMG CL forum. Both Jeff and I do better.
Look in Recommended Fluids pub that comes with car. I use Petrosin which is repackaged by MB for PS. It is also the same P/n as ABC fluid. One can get Petrosin from Advance A Parts at a discount off the MB price. Call ahead. One can also get Mann fleece filters there.

Last edited by grane; 02-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL500 F1 Edition
Thanks Jeff and grane,

I noticed you responded right away but I was waiting for an email notification of the additional posts on the thread...I better check my Control Panel settings...

So I could go either way with the fluid...I will order up the Mercedes fluid from AutohauzAZ.

My wife has instructed me that she wants only factory items on her car and no modifications. I am able to use ATE Type 200 brake fluid though. She loves her car as is and I have no intention of modifying it in any way...now the 993 Porsche and the BMW are another thing!!

So I have MB coolant and differential fluid waiting and all the rest of the goodies to get all the maintenance up to snuff. The dash binnacle light and the trans flush will be done by an independent shop or the dealer.

The dealer "gives" you a loaner but the rates are such that you pay for it. The dealer is a generation or two away from the R129 and it is hit or miss if they have a good guy who cares about the nuances of the older models. The indy I use stays up on the older models and cares about the service.

For the life of me, I cannot get the binnacle out. I have read the DIY and tried the bent coat hangers trick. I was really pulling hard and still no luck.

Cheers!