SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: What do you guys think of this SL600?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
What do you guys think of this SL600?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying this 1994 SL600 with 99k on the clock. The only thing we cant agree on is the price right now. However, just wanted to ask you guys if you think this is a good deal? Or could it potentially be a problem car.

1994 SL600
85% outside, some fading and minor rock chips but very good condition cosmeticslly.

Engine runs brilliantly.

However, the ADS button does not work and the tires are dry rotted. The guy said he had the car for 15 years but said all he has to do js normal maintanence. Seems like the top and suspension is still original.

I am offering 8k and he wants 8.5k what do you guys think? Do you think I should pass?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
When it comes to V12's, people either love 'em or hate 'em. A '94 with <100K on the clock suggests the car was not driven as an MB should. My SL600 has ~125K and it lets me know often that it wants to run. This power plant is designed for the Autobahn, so finding an R129 with low miles, there are bound to be issues. Don't get me wrong - I have a love affair with my SL600! But the car will have its share of problems... you just haven't found them yet. The R129 is getting rarer, so parts are getting tougher to find. And anything V12 is expensive. BUT, if the car runs well and you love the car, and you know as much as you can about the car, then what is the car worth to YOU? The best advice I can provide, as a longtime SL600 owner, is be prepared (financially) when something breaks. You are not considering a Toyota Corolla - the baby you are considering is hell on wheels. But owning and being proud of that awesome machine comes with a follow-on commitment of rigid routine maintenance and cringing when something breaks. But when that machine is running well, nothing replaces the satisfaction and pride of V12 ownership. IMHO. Good luck on your decision.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 06-07-2015, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk350 out,02 C270 CDI current 07 A170 out, Ml320cdi out!! GL 350 CDI, What a car !!!!!!
cars like that are pieces of art and should be treated accordingly. think about the love more than the price.
i agree with Jeff on everything else
Old 06-07-2015, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Well I really do love the car, and we finally agreed on a price! So i picked her up today. Will need to replace the tires ASAP. Other stuff I will replace as needed. So far, the ADS suspension light does not turn on and the cruise control does not work. Any ideas?

Here are some pictures!

Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk350 out,02 C270 CDI current 07 A170 out, Ml320cdi out!! GL 350 CDI, What a car !!!!!!
wow! she's in good shape. if you can, get the Orignal wheels. it keeps the value and makes it so much more of a classic.
the cruis control works hand in hand with your gearbox electronics. possible its just a relay thats jammed.

will ask my mech and get back to you
Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Congrats! Looks to be a lovely motorcar. Keep the maintenance up she'll run for a very long time.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
my song is often the same. Your experience with benz on parts may not be the most pleasant !
ADS and cruise and tire/wheel size can be connected. Our age benz was set up for wheels and tires that fit within the fenders and liners. Once you get beyond 16 or 17 inch rims and rubber profile and tread width for the factor, then other issues of turning, fender damage and wheel rotation sensor start to cause events that seem to some to be unconnected.
As a R129 owner, I'm certain the reality of old cars "don't get better with age"is a reality. This is true for rubber, nitrogen membranes, plastic and all things hydraulic! The good news is members of the forum "worlds" have written volumes about repair, replacement and "wrong" diagnosis from the symptoms lists. I have found the suspension spheres are good for about 10 years as is the top hydraulics. For the last help, I have used Klaus from Tophydraulics.
Enjoy the car, like many of us do. Welcome to the circle!
Old 06-08-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by leeroytandy
wow! she's in good shape. if you can, get the Orignal wheels. it keeps the value and makes it so much more of a classic.
the cruis control works hand in hand with your gearbox electronics. possible its just a relay thats jammed.

will ask my mech and get back to you
hope its something simple! If you can find out, I would really appreciate it!

I am trying to find some AMG wheels from the era but it seems to be quite expensive

Originally Posted by MB-Dude
Congrats! Looks to be a lovely motorcar. Keep the maintenance up she'll run for a very long time.
Cheers,
Jeff
Thank you for the warm welcome. That V12 feels amazing!

Originally Posted by SRHsl600
my song is often the same. Your experience with benz on parts may not be the most pleasant !
ADS and cruise and tire/wheel size can be connected. Our age benz was set up for wheels and tires that fit within the fenders and liners. Once you get beyond 16 or 17 inch rims and rubber profile and tread width for the factor, then other issues of turning, fender damage and wheel rotation sensor start to cause events that seem to some to be unconnected.
As a R129 owner, I'm certain the reality of old cars "don't get better with age"is a reality. This is true for rubber, nitrogen membranes, plastic and all things hydraulic! The good news is members of the forum "worlds" have written volumes about repair, replacement and "wrong" diagnosis from the symptoms lists. I have found the suspension spheres are good for about 10 years as is the top hydraulics. For the last help, I have used Klaus from Tophydraulics.
Enjoy the car, like many of us do. Welcome to the circle!
Ahh I hope its not all connected. I was told the ADS sensor might need to be reset by lifting the car up on all four wheels?

The car currently has 18s. Not sure what the stock size were. Are 18s too big for this car? Should I downsize to 16 or 17s?

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:37 PM

94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
tire outside edge has to be within minor percentage for each wheel. that is tied to cruise control and adaptive suspension, anti skid et al. The sensor is mounted on the suspension frame and each sends a rounds per unit of time to the CPU if one wheel is turning at a different rate the cpu wants to adjust that slipage.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:00 PM

The wheel thing and the space in the wheel well is another factor. I have played in the skinny side wall and wide tread only to have noise, limited turning, plastic and rubber damage. The Benz engineers set up the wheel space and when it is encroached you can have issues. Not certain if 18" are workable, but 10 inch treads can cause damage. Staggered set up is popular and part of the 98 sport edition, but the 94 is not got the space in the front wheel well
Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
tire outside edge has to be within minor percentage for each wheel. that is tied to cruise control and adaptive suspension, anti skid et al. The sensor is mounted on the suspension frame and each sends a rounds per unit of time to the CPU if one wheel is turning at a different rate the cpu wants to adjust that slipage.
The wheel thing and the space in the wheel well is another factor. I have played in the skinny side wall and wide tread only to have noise, limited turning, plastic and rubber damage. The Benz engineers set up the wheel space and when it is encroached you can have issues. Not certain if 18" are workable, but 10 inch treads can cause damage. Staggered set up is popular and part of the 98 sport edition, but the 94 is not got the space in the front wheel well
So the size of the wheel well is not the same for 94 and 98+?

My tire sizes are 245/40/18 F and 275/40/18 R....does the rolling diameter have to be equal on all four wheels? or just on each axle. If it needs to be equal on all four wheels then maybe this is the issue.

What were the OEM tire sizes for 94? Maybe I will match the same overall rolling diameter as the OEM wheels. I need to replace the tires soon since the tires are dry rotted bad.

thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM

the suspension member in the front and the brake disc/caliper are different. The back tire space has only the brake disc as an issue. The bolt length to secure the wheel changed also! The gas filler cap or the door frame has the tire size and pressure recommended.
225 55 16 is the factory set up. I suspect that is a factor for handling ride quality as well as wheel well dimension. My experience is based on wide tread low sidewall profile and I have given away the tires that my ego lead me to purchase! The 17 inch rims of a 96 work well but too wide of a tread limited the turn radius of the vehicle ( without damage) of the front tires. I have 245 45 17 on all four corners. I selected from Tire Racks dimension chart (on line ) with attention to the tread width measurement. I had Sam's club order the tire and mount them on the rims. I installed on the vehicle.
Yes several issues have been amplified by the wheel and tires. get them all the same roll size and the safety systems, ride and cruise will improve.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
the suspension member in the front and the brake disc/caliper are different. The back tire space has only the brake disc as an issue. The bolt length to secure the wheel changed also! The gas filler cap or the door frame has the tire size and pressure recommended.
225 55 16 is the factory set up. I suspect that is a factor for handling ride quality as well as wheel well dimension. My experience is based on wide tread low sidewall profile and I have given away the tires that my ego lead me to purchase! The 17 inch rims of a 96 work well but too wide of a tread limited the turn radius of the vehicle ( without damage) of the front tires. I have 245 45 17 on all four corners. I selected from Tire Racks dimension chart (on line ) with attention to the tread width measurement. I had Sam's club order the tire and mount them on the rims. I installed on the vehicle.
Yes several issues have been amplified by the wheel and tires. get them all the same roll size and the safety systems, ride and cruise will improve.
Thank you for your help.

I am having a hard time finding OEM rims for this car though, I am guessing the offset is not the same as other benzes from the time period?