SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: I have a 94 SL 600 Car keeps going into limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Mercedes sl 600
I have a 94 SL 600 Car keeps going into limp mode

So I just recently bought the vehicle and it was fine when I bought it of course but two weeks later the car is going into limp mode when I reset the car shut it off and turn it back on Limp mode goes away but always comes back within 10 minutes of driving it hapins faster when the pedal clicks what can I do to fix this problem

Last edited by Chase sl; 08-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
You have a '94 car so the insulation on the wires in the engine harness may be crumbling not always easy to tell because the wires are in a harness but you can look at them at the point they come out of the harness and see if the insulation has crumbled and fallen off and causing electrical shorts other way is to unplug engine control module and get a meter and check for short circuits between the sockets of the connector probably none should be a short but if your wiring is bad there will be many shorts.
The following users liked this post:
Chase sl (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 PM

94 Mercedes sl 600
So I found this when I went to look at the wiring wiring looked fine to me on top of the block when I opened the cover went to head and added some hoes and any clamps disconnected the battery waiting to see if Idol comes down and ARS stops coming on going to leave the battery disconnected for a couple hours
Originally Posted by bobterry99
You have a '94 car so the insulation on the wires in the engine harness may be crumbling not always easy to tell because the wires are in a harness but you can look at them at the point they come out of the harness and see if the insulation has crumbled and fallen off and causing electrical shorts other way is to unplug engine control module and get a meter and check for short circuits between the sockets of the connector probably none should be a short but if your wiring is bad there will be many shorts.
Thank you for that I will try to check the wiring harness and see if that is the problem and if it is how do I repair it

Last edited by Chase sl; 08-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by Chase sl
...I will try to check the wiring harness and see if that is the problem and if it is how do I repair it
Google R129 SL600 wiring harness and see what you come up with. I think I have read that new harnesses are nearly impossible to come by, and I don't know if there is such thing as a good used one. If you search long enough I believe you'll find at least one person that made their own wiring harness.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Wiring

Once you flex the wiring harness, or small section the "eco" harness on 93-95 benz and several other brands ( Volvo, Saab, Reaunlt?) the insulation will crack and or crumble. After about 5 years MB no longer replaced or repaired those model years.
Because the wiring would "leak" the system for engine management would set error messages. Most in the Benz forums members have replaced the two engine bay harness sets. I purchased from benz, others have made their own harness. I admire those with the skills, talents and time. The degeneration of the wiring is massive and in my vehicle included wiring internal to parts like the throttle body sensor. Since lots of sensors are involved, I did not get to the last parts for years!
Some of the MB factory parts have been faulty too. The good news is Beckman has rebuilt parts without additional cost once we isolated. That firm has a "test" vehicle. My mechanic has sent entire systems for fuel management to be operated on the test mule.
Sorry to extend the bad news. For me the last two years has seen the full function of Dolly"s former Christmas gift. It is a wonderful vehicle.
Bobterry 99 has extensive exposure to repair and analysis of the R129.
Good luck with your sort on your toy!
Where in the world are you?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 AM

94 Mercedes sl 600
Originally Posted by SRHsl600
Once you flex the wiring harness, or small section the "eco" harness on 93-95 benz and several other brands ( Volvo, Saab, Reaunlt?) the insulation will crack and or crumble. After about 5 years MB no longer replaced or repaired those model years.
Because the wiring would "leak" the system for engine management would set error messages. Most in the Benz forums members have replaced the two engine bay harness sets. I purchased from benz, others have made their own harness. I admire those with the skills, talents and time. The degeneration of the wiring is massive and in my vehicle included wiring internal to parts like the throttle body sensor. Since lots of sensors are involved, I did not get to the last parts for years!
Some of the MB factory parts have been faulty too. The good news is Beckman has rebuilt parts without additional cost once we isolated. That firm has a "test" vehicle. My mechanic has sent entire systems for fuel management to be operated on the test mule.
Sorry to extend the bad news. For me the last two years has seen the full function of Dolly"s former Christmas gift. It is a wonderful vehicle.
Bobterry 99 has extensive exposure to repair and analysis of the R129.
Good luck with your sort on your toy!
Where in the world are you?
I'm in Minnesota i'm sorry but I don't understand how do I fix it
Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chase sl
I'm in Minnesota i'm sorry but I don't understand how do I fix it
Read his site and watch his videos.

http://www.restoreyourmercedes.com/
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Repair, replace after testing

Once you know the wiring status ( harness in the engine compartment, top and lower in my case ) replace with a new harness if needed.
be aware that wiring degeneration went past the connector into many control modules. My mechanic sent each defective part for testing on a "mule" before we replaced a part. Some new MB parts were defective and were returned, old parts were rebuilt by the test mule owner and nothing was finalized until the system worked for 100's of miles.
The overall damage to electrical control units was partial, so the wiring harness problem didn't cause total destruction. The engine control units has now been rebuilt but that was at the 21 year mark.
Since I employ good mechanics my hands are not as "on " as I would like, but don't change out parts until you know the entire system function. Our model year was a major transition and you can have several modifications that my vehicle does not have. So when Plutoe asks for VIN that may be the only way to get the true nature and build of your 600.