SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Any recommendations for quiet tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 SL 500 Sport AMG
Any recommendations for quiet tires

I am planning to purchase new tires for my 98 SL 500 Sport and I am most interested in a quiet and smooth ride. I read on Tirerack.Com that the Continental ContiExtremeContact would be a good choice. Does anyone have any experience with this tire or would care to make another recommendation ?

Note, I have Yokohomas ES 100 avs that came with the car when I bought it, and they are very noisey.

F: 245/40/18
R: 275/35/18

Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dont get contiextremecontact... they arent quiet. ES100s are very loud so I am not surprised you are complaining. Depends on if you put quiet ride before performance before I can recommend a tire.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 AM

98 SL 500 Sport AMG
I would put quiet ride before performance because of what I consider extreme noise (wah wah wha , and general loud sound when driving down the road). Honestly, before I answer too quick, I am not a very experienced car guy. What sort of things would I notice if I gave up one for the other?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Swithc to one of the other forums here:

"The Tire Rack's Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum"

And as Luke (known as the tire god) what he thinks.

I have read that peole are happy with the Michelin Pilot Sport on their SLs.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM

98 SL 500 Sport AMG
AlBoston,

Can I get your recommendation on a tire? I want less noise more than i want performance.

Thanks
CHRIS

Last edited by ChrisMMcMahon; 01-04-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM

98 SL 500 Sport AMG
Thanks. I am ckng other forums too. Appreciate the recommendation.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500
I may be able to help with your question. I have had two SL500(97 and 00) both with 17" tires on the car. I had the Pirellie Pzero Neros and I currently have the Continental ContiExtremeContact. BOTH tires were EXTREAMLY quiet and could not hear them with the top down at any speed and believe me my car see 100+ quite often. I can tell you that these two tires preformed well enought on snow for me not to tell the difference. On water, both tires, felt like they were firmly planted and I have yet to hydo with either set. The PZero Neros with the three Veritcal grooves did tramline on groved pavement but after about 200 miles on them I hardly noticed or I was so used to it that I corrected with out ever noticing it.

As for dry performace I did note that the two tires had different characteristics. Now this is just my oppinion and others may think differently. Personally I feel that the Continental ContiExtremeContact have a softer side wall than the Pzero Neros did. I could really tell the difference in the cornering and slight difference over road cracks/bumps. When I had the PZeros I felt that they handled much better on an off-ramp than the Conti's. I felt I could push the car harder in the corners(Pzeros) and at a higher speed than with the Conti's. If I had my choice I would go for the Pzeros if you are a more agressive driver. I have the conti's because when I bought the car my wholesaler put the Continental ContiExtremeContact the day he delivered the car to me so I really didn't mind or care. Both tires wore good and I belive that you would not be dissappointed if you purchased either one. Good Luck
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 PM

98 SL 500 Sport AMG
Black129.

I sure do appreciate you taking the time to write me back. No reason to re-invent the "wheel" so to speak! I have heard similar comments as I ask around, so reading your note makes me more comfortable that I may be on the right track (to get the tires I want).

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 PM

1995 SL 320
Fulda

I put 2 new Fulda tires on the back of my Sl320 recently since the 2 in front still had excellent tread.They are 225 55 16ZR 95W Extremo Carat tires.Fulda is the German subsidiary of Goodyear.It is the number one tire used on the Autobahn.So far I am very satisfied with the handling and quiet ride.They are sold through Tire Kingdom in the South and NTB in Texas now.Since they are a German brand tire I expect a lot of interest from BMW and Mercedes owners.The price is excellent.The only drawback is they have a treadwear rating of 180,so 25,000 miles is going to be tops on these.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:59 PM

1996 SL 600
out of my Falken mind....

I just upgraded to a staggered set of 18" wheels and put a set of Falkens on. see http://www.falkentire.com/tires_st115.htm . They are very quiet and hold the road very well. I don't drive the car much in the rain but ever since upgrading, I haven't gotten loose or lost traction yet. very sticky!!! I don't ever plan on putting these on snow or ice since they are pretty directional. I think discount tires (tires.com) had the best prices so I had them ordered and installed at the store.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 PM

190E, SL500, Alfa Romeo 164L
My MB mechanic at the dealership recommended Michilin PilotSport II's for my AMG Sport package rims. I'm very happy with their grip and they are much quieter than my previous Continentals. Wear is never good with that size tire on Illinois winter-damaged roads. I did recently have an issue with one of them and Michilin backed up their product with impressive customer service - I was very satisfied. (I have to add that although I always went through my mechanic for tire issues, Discount Tire really did a great job in a pinch, and worked with Michilin for me on the customer service issue. I would go back).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:42 PM

190E, SL500, Alfa Romeo 164L
oops.. I misspelled Michelin throughout that last message.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Agreed--

don't waste your time on this other stuff--the 129 really likes Michelin tires. They do cost more money, but I don't know of anything that will give you the same feel that they will. I'm a little hesitant on the PS 2 though--and I'll bet the issue on the fellow poster's car above was a runout (roundness) issue. I had six tires on my CLK cab before I gave up and went back to the older Pilot Sport. I'm also surprised that this gentleman had good luck with Michelin customer service. Their usual method is to deny everything and make the customer feel like an idiot who knows nothing. That being said, I'd want a good local retailer working on my car and my 18" wheels, and I'd probably take the Pilot sport. If someone has some of the XGT version of that tire n the right size, that has been a terrific tire. Not super-ultimate performance, but great ride, no roundness, noise, or wear issues.
Hope this helps.