Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 BMW 330xi, 2005 Infiniti G35, coming this summer: SL55
G35 to SL500 or SL55?

Hello,

Is there anyone on this forum who happens to own (or has owned) an Infiniti G35 coupe and an SL? I currently own a G35 coupe and am considering getting either an SL500 or SL55, but I have questions regarding acceleration and ride comfort as compared to my G35, and would like some insights from someone who has first-hand knowledge of both cars. It would be nice if I could go to my local MB dealership and test drive both SL's, but they only get SL55's in when they have been special ordered, and while they do currently have an SL500 in stock, it is on the showroom floor and not available for test drives. The next closest MB dealership is 2 hrs away and the same situation exists there, so until I get the chance to go down to CA and actually test drive these cars, I am having to rely on others to give me their driving impressions.

Regarding acceleration - my G35 has 280 HP and 270 ft-lbs torque and weighs 3435 lbs. An SL500 has 22 more HP and 69 ft-lbs more torque, but also weighs 630 lbs more. I want my next car to have at least as good acceleration as my G35, and preferably more. It seems to me the added weight of the SL500 would certainly eat up its extra 20 HP and possibly its extra torque, and leave me with a car that is not as fast as the G35. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regarding suspension - I want to make sure that my next car has a softer ride than my G35, which is rather harsh. From everythig I have read, the SL500 certainly sounds like it has a smoother ride than my G35, but does the SL55, with its sportier suspension, also have a smoother ride? I would prefer the SL55 to the SL500, but if its suspension is as firm as my G35's, then I would have to seriously consider the SL500 instead. I want a suspension that absorbs more of the vibrations and bumps from the road and doesn't transmit them into the cabin as much.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer,
Prolix
Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 AM

2003 SL500
I have an SL500, and have briefly driven a friend's G35 sedan (although nowhere near flat out). Subjectively, I'd say the SL500 should meet your needs, although I'd suggest checking one of the auto mags for acceleration numbers.

The SL55 is in a different league. I drove one once - fabulous, but I'd have trouble keeping my driving privileges.

One other thought - if an SL55 is within budget and ride comfort is a priority, you might consider an SL600 instead.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Question Are you really going to get this piece of junk?

Prolix,

Personally, if I were you, I'd consider a horse and carriage before I'd get an SL.

You can always get a C class, then when things go wrong you won't get upset or expect more because the car is a piece of junk (comparatively that is) anyway and you will know this before you buy the car.

My wife's Celica GT-S has better quality control and less problems than my SL. Her car was $24,000, mine was $160,000.

You can also ask lorinserbenz about the SL500, it only took him 4 SL500s before he got one that could even be driven.

You may not be so lucky and then what...
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Prolix,

Personally, if I were you, I'd consider a horse and carriage before I'd get an SL.

You can always get a C class, then when things go wrong you won't get upset or expect more because the car is a piece of junk (comparatively that is) anyway and you will know this before you buy the car.

My wife's Celica GT-S has better quality control and less problems than my SL. Her car was $24,000, mine was $160,000.

You can also ask lorinserbenz about the SL500, it only took him 4 SL500s before he got one that could even be driven.

You may not be so lucky and then what...
If you dislike your car so much, why don't you get rid of it? I have been in your situation before and dumped the car after 1,750 miles and it made me feel much better and I then stopped *****ing.

Lou K
Old 04-06-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkirchner
If you dislike your car so much, why don't you get rid of it? I have been in your situation before and dumped the car after 1,750 miles and it made me feel much better and I then stopped *****ing.

Lou K
That is the easy way out. I'd rather make them fix the car properly or file a law suit and really make them pay.

I will buy my new car when I am ready, not when they force me to by not repairing my car properly. I have already ordered the new Aston Martin Vanquish S when it is due out sometime in 2007/2008.

Besides, I didn't say I didn't like my car, I just said I would never buy another one. $160,000 for a car that finished dead last in reliability. I am only stupid once.

You can see my other post to better understand how I am feeling.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Then good luck with a first year in production Aston Martin, Its your choice but then again you say your only stupid once!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile Dream on...

Originally Posted by clkcadet
Then good luck with a first year in production Aston Martin, Its your choice but then again you say your only stupid once!
I didn't say all car manufactures are perfect but I can assure you, Mercedes Benz could not even step into the same room as Aston Martin when it comes to customer service.

Hey, was it Aston Martin that finished dead last in reliability or did I read those reports wrong? Even in Germany where their service should be the best, the reports had them dead last in everything but beauty.

If you want a gorgeous girl on your arm with no brains, then have fun. I think they call them trophy wives. I got rid of that concept 20 years ago.

Mercedes doesn't give a **** about you and if you choose to ignore that obvious fact then you can live in your dream world.

Happy dreaming.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Prolix
Hello,

Is there anyone on this forum who happens to own (or has owned) an Infiniti G35 coupe and an SL? I currently own a G35 coupe and am considering getting either an SL500 or SL55, but I have questions regarding acceleration and ride comfort as compared to my G35, and would like some insights from someone who has first-hand knowledge of both cars. It would be nice if I could go to my local MB dealership and test drive both SL's, but they only get SL55's in when they have been special ordered, and while they do currently have an SL500 in stock, it is on the showroom floor and not available for test drives. The next closest MB dealership is 2 hrs away and the same situation exists there, so until I get the chance to go down to CA and actually test drive these cars, I am having to rely on others to give me their driving impressions.

Regarding acceleration - my G35 has 280 HP and 270 ft-lbs torque and weighs 3435 lbs. An SL500 has 22 more HP and 69 ft-lbs more torque, but also weighs 630 lbs more. I want my next car to have at least as good acceleration as my G35, and preferably more. It seems to me the added weight of the SL500 would certainly eat up its extra 20 HP and possibly its extra torque, and leave me with a car that is not as fast as the G35. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regarding suspension - I want to make sure that my next car has a softer ride than my G35, which is rather harsh. From everythig I have read, the SL500 certainly sounds like it has a smoother ride than my G35, but does the SL55, with its sportier suspension, also have a smoother ride? I would prefer the SL55 to the SL500, but if its suspension is as firm as my G35's, then I would have to seriously consider the SL500 instead. I want a suspension that absorbs more of the vibrations and bumps from the road and doesn't transmit them into the cabin as much.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer,
Prolix

I own a 2005 Sl500 and had a 2004 G35.
The G35 offers lots of bang for the dollar... its is fast, great looks, decent interior and good reliability.
Downsides... paint on the G35 is cheap, chips easily and is not durable. Motor cant deal with the stress of a Turbos or superchargers, rods are VERY weak. Interior materials are VERY cheap.. Navigation system requires you to stop and put the car in park to enter a destination. Small interior, seats suck... controls are in awkward position.

The Sl500 has the best looks of any car in its class... Hard top convertible, nice interior, fast, and nice materials for the most part in the interior...

Downsides of the SL... MBs quality control flat out sucks... It took me 4 Sl500s to get a car free from defects. This is unexcusable... One of the Sl's had SERIOUS paint flaws.. Another had electronic problems ..etc...
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM

2002 BMW 745Li Black/beige, 2006 SL600 Capri Blue/Black still on order
[QUOTE=Prolix]

...while they do currently have an SL500 in stock, it is on the showroom floor and not available for test drives. The next closest MB dealership is 2 hrs away and the same situation exists there, so until I get the chance to go down to CA and actually test drive these cars, I am having to rely on others to give me their driving impressions.

Nonesense. If they want to sell you a car, they need to open the showroom doors, and get that car out for you to drive...otherswise be sure they know you'll BUY a car elsewhere.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:50 PM

SL500 '05
Prolix,

The SL is a great car, I admit the quality worries me but then again I drive my LS430 for everyday reliabilty.
Get the SL drive it at the weekends, less chance of problems.
Mercedes and Lovin are not friends at the moment. Don't let him put you off.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ToonArmy
One other thought - if an SL55 is within budget and ride comfort is a priority, you might consider an SL600 instead.
I've thought about this. If I were to purchase an SL55, I would get one used that still had at least 2 years left under warranty. I would be a little nervous owning an SL after the warranty ran out.

I was surprised how many used SL55's are being sold on eBay, I wouldn't think this number of an exclusive car like this would be for sale. In contrast, there is only one SL600 for sale on eBay last time I checked. Does anyone know the production numbers in '03 or '04 for both these cars?

Prolix
Old 04-06-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
I didn't say all car manufactures are perfect but I can assure you, Mercedes Benz could not even step into the same room as Aston Martin when it comes to customer service.

Hey, was it Aston Martin that finished dead last in reliability or did I read those reports wrong? Even in Germany where their service should be the best, the reports had them dead last in everything but beauty.

If you want a gorgeous girl on your arm with no brains, then have fun. I think they call them trophy wives. I got rid of that concept 20 years ago.

Mercedes doesn't give a **** about you and if you choose to ignore that obvious fact then you can live in your dream world.

Happy dreaming.
You have made your point; now stop whining!!! Go and sue somebody or kick the dog.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:35 PM

none
I've thought about this. If I were to purchase an SL55, I would get one used that still had at least 2 years left under warranty. I would be a little nervous owning an SL after the warranty ran out.

I was surprised how many used SL55's are being sold on eBay, I wouldn't think this number of an exclusive car like this would be for sale. In contrast, there is only one SL600 for sale on eBay last time I checked. Does anyone know the production numbers in '03 or '04 for both these cars?

Prolix
The reason why there are so many Sl55's on ebay is that the fad has worn off.
Two years ago you couldnt get a Sl55, every celebrity around had to have a 55... now the car to have is a Bentley GT.
If it were me Id get a used Sl600.. they get hammered on depreciation more so than a Sl500.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Prolix,

You seem to be on an emotional roller coaster regarding your car. Here are just some of the mood swings you have been through in the last month......

On March 5th you tried selling your car on eBay and said - "The car is now working great but emotionally I am just done with Mercedes Benz. I can't handle them anymore. I need a change."

On March 9 you said about your car - "Phew, we got very close to a break up but we have reconciled. We're in love again. Sometimes we just have to stop taking the problems with our cars too seriously and just let them resolve themselves in time."

On April 6th you said - "My fellow forum members, they will never change until we change. They are just too arrogant and actually don't think they have a real problem. I am done with the Mercedes bull ****. If they ever want a penny of my money they had better start making a reliable car and I don't see that happening for a long time, if ever."

I don't mean to infer that I wouldn't be having the same mood swings as yourself if I was in your shoes, but your experience isn't going to dissuade me from considering an SL. Maybe I will give more weight to getting a 2006 SL500 in the hopes that a few more of the bugs will have been worked out, rather than looking at an '03 or '04 SL55. On the other hand, if you again get to the point where you want to part with your SL600 - and for a little less than your last reserve price - get in touch :-)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You seem to be on an emotional roller coaster regarding your car. Here are just some of the mood swings you have been through in the last month......

On March 5th you tried selling your car on eBay and said - "The car is now working great but emotionally I am just done with Mercedes Benz. I can't handle them anymore. I need a change."

On March 9 you said about your car - "Phew, we got very close to a break up but we have reconciled. We're in love again. Sometimes we just have to stop taking the problems with our cars too seriously and just let them resolve themselves in time."

On April 6th you said - "My fellow forum members, they will never change until we change. They are just too arrogant and actually don't think they have a real problem. I am done with the Mercedes bull ****. If they ever want a penny of my money they had better start making a reliable car and I don't see that happening for a long time, if ever."

I don't mean to infer that I wouldn't be having the same mood swings as yourself if I was in your shoes, but your experience isn't going to dissuade me from considering an SL. Maybe I will give more weight to getting a 2006 SL500 in the hopes that a few more of the bugs will have been worked out, rather than looking at an '03 or '04 SL55. On the other hand, if you again get to the point where you want to part with your SL600 - and for a little less than your last reserve price - get in touch :-)
I apologize if you feel I am trying to talk you out of buying a new Mercedes SL. That is not my intent. As I have clearly stated this is all a personal choice.

I can almost assure you I have probably owned more Mercedes than anyone on this site that is my age. I love the car. I love my SL600. A stupid door panel can't stop me from enjoying my car. My mood swings about the car come from my loyalty toward Mercedes Benz. In my business life I would have dumped this car a long time ago and turned matters over to my staff of attorneys of which I have no shortage of.

My only point here is one of principle and my personal choice is to no longer give my money to company that doesn't care about its customers. Of course this is a generalization and of course there are exceptions but just read these posts and much of what is happening to me is happening to others.

I can't stand arrogance and I feel Mercedes is an arrogant company that doesn't give a **** despite the fact that last quarters profits were down by 97%.

The SL is a beautiful car and for the most part can be enjoyed if you don't care about the fact that the manufacturer doesn't give a **** about you.

That is my only point. I would never try to talk you out of buying something that if you are in the right frame of mind, can enjoy.

I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
I can't belive it.

[QUOTE=RadSteve]

...while they do currently have an SL500 in stock, it is on the showroom floor and not available for test drives. The next closest MB dealership is 2 hrs away and the same situation exists there, so until I get the chance to go down to CA and actually test drive these cars, I am having to rely on others to give me their driving impressions.

Nonesense. If they want to sell you a car, they need to open the showroom doors, and get that car out for you to drive...otherswise be sure they know you'll BUY a car elsewhere.
The car is not available for a test drive. They only have one SL500, dealers all over the place have lots of them availabe on their lots. If they are in the car business and want to sell you a car, those doors should open up and you should drive the car. My local dealer a few years ago had a new S500 in their showroom, they new I didn't like the color, but I was a potential buyer, they moved three cars to get this one out of the showroom so I could drive it, and it was a rainy afternoon too.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
LovinSL600:

.... Why are you spreading these rumours about Mercedes-Benz and bad service? I can assure you, I own TWO, not one, but TWO SL600s, never had a problem with EITHER. My delear, Laguna Niguel is awesome, and I reccomend them if your thinking of buying a Benz. Why do you figure my two SL6s dont have ONE single problem on them? What happen-- I get two of the better ones made, and you and lorinserbenz got the lemons? I think thats complete , but than again, what do I know? Maybe I did get lucky... with both. With respect.

As for the topic, get the SL500-- you wont regret it. I've had four as well-- just not for the same reasons as the other members, I just changed colors every 6-12 months. I kid you not. I currently own 2 SL600s, and couldn't be happier. Anyhow, back to the SL500, like I said, get one. Its a beautiful car, quality, although subjective, from my perspective, is amazing. But again, what do I know? Good luck getting your new vehicle, and post pics.

Best Regards,
John
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Post You can't be serious

Originally Posted by Lexani
LovinSL600:

Why are you spreading these rumours about Mercedes-Benz and bad service? I can assure you, I own TWO, not one, but TWO SL600s, never had a problem with EITHER.
John,

You have got to be kidding me. Do you read ALL the posts? Spreading rumors? I guess mine as well as everyone else's problems with their Mercedes are all imaginary.

I guess the reports that say Mercedes is dead last on reliability is also a figment of that authors imagination.

You are in a dream world. Wake up.

As for your two SL600s. I am happy for you.

Regards as well,

Matthew

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-06-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 PM

none
LovinSL600:

.... Why are you spreading these rumours about Mercedes-Benz and bad service? I can assure you, I own TWO, not one, but TWO SL600s, never had a problem with EITHER. My delear, Laguna Niguel is awesome, and I reccomend them if your thinking of buying a Benz. Why do you figure my two SL6s dont have ONE single problem on them? What happen-- I get two of the better ones made, and you and lorinserbenz got the lemons? I think thats complete , but than again, what do I know? Maybe I did get lucky... with both. With respect.

As for the topic, get the SL500-- you wont regret it. I've had four as well-- just not for the same reasons as the other members, I just changed colors every 6-12 months. I kid you not. I currently own 2 SL600s, and couldn't be happier. Anyhow, back to the SL500, like I said, get one. Its a beautiful car, quality, although subjective, from my perspective, is amazing. But again, what do I know? Good luck getting your new vehicle, and post pics.

Best Regards,
John

Yes I have nothing better to do than complain about getting 3 defective Sl500s..

Facts are facts, MB is second from DEAD last in quality control... THEY ADMIT that... ITS A FACT... ITS ON THE NEWS...

My dealer DID take care of me... they were VERY nice through the whole ordeal and have called me five times since I got a defect free car to make sure it was ok.
Lovin's issues are legit... so were mine... No one is spreading lies ..

I am happy that you have had defect free cars...
MANY havent been so lucky this is why MB has recalled 1.3 MILLION cars..

I love my SL, but for 90K I would expect a PERFECT car off the dealers lot... I did finally get that but it took FOUR trys!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
LovinSL600:

Best Regards,
John
They are not spreading rumors. They are telling the truth based on their experience. My car is less than a year old and I took it in 8 times for warranty work. I am taking the car in again to fix the water leak in my trunk tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
Well, guess I got lucky. Im just saying I've had no problems. Lucky me.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 AM

I feel bad for all you guys out there with these problems. I don't own an SL myself but some of my friends do and they have been problem-free. I personally love the SL, there isn't anything that can touch it. I drove my client's Maserati today, the Cambiocorsa Spyder, and it did absolutely nothing for me. I have been lucky enough to drive every variant of the SL and I would still take even an SL500 over the Maserati. I cannot bring a car to mind that combines all the things that the SL has. Great looks, comfort, speed, hardtop convertible... I could go on I guess.

On the topic of this thread however, if money is not an issue I would get the SL55. Even to the SL500, the G35 cannot be compared. I like the G35's, they are an excellent value and good-looking, but in my opinion based on my experience, the extra money spent on the SL is worth it. Even after reading all the problems that people on this board have had with their SL's, it is still my #1 pick of convertibles/coupes.

Just my opinion though. Good luck with your decision.